Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

The Open Road - Adventures of Cosmic Razorback

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2021 | 12:27 PM
Cosmic Razorback
|
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,279 Likes on 7,400 Posts

We stayed at the Homewood Suites by Hilton. It was fairly new and very nice. The rooms were large and the restaurant was not bad. The Carolina Girl and I were wiped out and we stayed there for dinner Saturday night.

This was late evening. When we arrived there was standing room ONLY in the pool. Crazy

The following users liked this post:
CanadianRocky (06-28-2021)
Old 06-28-2021 | 12:34 PM
Cosmic Razorback
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Sunday morning we wanted some nice two lane highways with tree lined shade. We rolled out of Summerville toward Monks Corner and first stopped at Pappy Jr's for a nice breakfast. This place does not look like much outside. But nice inside, much larger than it appears and the food and service were excellent.

We rolled on toward Jamestown, and then ran through the historic district in George Town.

CanadianRocky (06-28-2021)
Old 06-28-2021 | 12:39 PM
Cosmic Razorback
|
Seasoned HDF Member

We stopped at the Myrtle Beach HD south and North for our final two stamps on the trip. On the ride back home we ran into a wall of water. By radar it was short lived, but "G" wanted her rain suite and I pulled the sheep skin off and put my face shield on. We ran through it quickly and stopped for fuel and to lose the extra gear.

Old 06-28-2021 | 12:40 PM
Cosmic Razorback
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Stay tuned for our next adventure..

bentryder (06-28-2021)
Old 06-28-2021 | 02:24 PM
StoneTrekker
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,980 Likes on 955 Posts

Wife and I were at The Battery back in late March. Beautiful and inspiring.

Cosmic Razorback (06-28-2021)
Old 06-28-2021 | 02:49 PM
Cosmic Razorback
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dillbilly Bone
Wife and I were at The Battery back in late March. Beautiful and inspiring.
Yeah the houses are simply amazing. The problem is all the tourists. You have the same style homes in George Town except not on the river and a nicer place to live in my opinion. We used to do a lot of coastal boating from Myrtle Beach to Daytona. Most of our time was spent in the Charleston area because we had friends there. We stayed for years at the marina at Patriots Point up until they cancelled the water taxi to the battery side. Then we started docking at Ashley Marina so we could get in town easily. The ICW between George Town and Isle of Palms is the most beautiful place on earth.

Old 06-28-2021 | 03:07 PM
StoneTrekker
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Cosmic Razorback
Yeah the houses are simply amazing. The problem is all the tourists. You have the same style homes in George Town except not on the river and a nicer place to live in my opinion. We used to do a lot of coastal boating from Myrtle Beach to Daytona. Most of our time was spent in the Charleston area because we had friends there. We stayed for years at the marina at Patriots Point up until they cancelled the water taxi to the battery side. Then we started docking at Ashley Marina so we could get in town easily. The ICW between George Town and Isle of Palms is the most beautiful place on earth.
Being a tourist myself, I can only agree. There are simply too many humans wanting to be in those areas at the same time. It's an amazing area, but hard to relax and enjoy. We have a good friend who owns a big home on IOP (Wild Dunes) and he offered it to us. I told him no thanks....just too many people everywhere. One afternoon we ran down to Shem Creek and hung out at Vickery's a couple hours. It was an entire circus of locals, tourists, college kids, charters....just a madhouse all over that area. Reminded me of why I love living in a low-density rural area!

Old 06-28-2021 | 03:52 PM
Cosmic Razorback
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dillbilly Bone
Being a tourist myself, I can only agree. There are simply too many humans wanting to be in those areas at the same time. It's an amazing area, but hard to relax and enjoy. We have a good friend who owns a big home on IOP (Wild Dunes) and he offered it to us. I told him no thanks....just too many people everywhere. One afternoon we ran down to Shem Creek and hung out at Vickery's a couple hours. It was an entire circus of locals, tourists, college kids, charters....just a madhouse all over that area. Reminded me of why I love living in a low-density rural area!

Shem Creek - One of our favorite places. We ate where ever there was parking for the boat. This picture was from Waters Edge. These are from around 2004 time frame. It has changed down there. The 35 Fountain was my buddy that lived on Sullivan’s Island, our 36 in the middle and my best friend from Greenville, SC on the outside. I know the time frame because it was his last trip in the 25 footer. He and I went to Dallas, Texas together in my truck to pick up his 33 footer. I can tell you a funny story about going into Shem Creek for the first time in the daylight and not being able to find out way out at dark!

Last edited by Cosmic Razorback; 06-28-2021 at 04:00 PM.
StoneTrekker (06-28-2021)
Old 06-28-2021 | 04:32 PM
StoneTrekker
Stellar HDF Member

Good stuff CR....enjoyable!

Old 07-04-2021 | 07:22 PM
Cosmic Razorback
|
Seasoned HDF Member
Default Saturday July 3, 2021 - Danville, VA & BRP

Saturday July 3, 2021

Third ride for the 2021 Carolina Challenge

The weather was beautiful here in the Carolina’s. Highs in the 70 with zero humidity!

What a fantastic day the Lord made, and one meant to enjoy on two wheels. The Carolina Girl and I slept in and made it to the local Waffle House at 10am. We enjoyed a good breakfast and headed East through the twin cities that tobacco built. Our destination was the furniture capital of the world High Point to stop at Ridin High HD and get out card stamped. After a quick stop and look around, we were off to Danville, Virginia for the next dealer stop at Thunder Road.

Got there and who do we run into but a couple from Charleston, SC and we met last weekend in Myrtle Beach. We really like these folks and talked about 30 minutes and exchanged phone numbers. He rides a Road King Police and she ride a Deluxe. They were off to Raleigh, Goldsboro and Winterville for the last stamps needed on their challenge card.

They shared a nice story about visiting Crossroads HD in Wilkesboro the day before. They rode through rain and arrived about 30 minutes before the dealership was closing. She was having problems with the cable clutch on her bike. They took her bike right in, checked it over, adjusted the clutch and stayed after closing. When he got the bill, it was only $48.00! They were amazed to find a dealer so helpful and more than fair at closing on a Friday! I have a lot of respect for Micah and the folks in Wilkesboro. They are awesome and I shared they are a sister dealership to the one we were at in Danville. I met and spoke with JR the manager for some time. He moved up from Florida and is a nice guy.

Time to ride and we hit Highway 58 West. If you have not ridden Hwy 58 on the NC / VA border you are missing a real treat. Coming through the tight turns in Patrick County we stopped at Lovers Leap. Everyone know that Virginia is for LOVERS!

We went all the way to Meadows of Dan at the BRP and jumped off for fuel. The Carolina Girl found some fresh tomatoes she had to have that looked great. We visited with several bikers there and rolled out with Freebornes as our destination for dinner.

The ride over the BRP was as perfect as can be. The temps were in the upper 60’s with a slight breeze and traffic was light. We crossed over into NC, rolled through Doughton Park and arrived at Freebornes with front row parking. Cheryl and Diane welcomed us, and we enjoyed a nice meal while visiting with a couple from Michigan at the next table and listening to Cheryl tell stories about Stations Inn and Freebornes we had never heard before.

We finished dinner and walked next door to Wild Woody’s and that place was rocking. The band was playing, and the campground was full. They were preparing for what Linda the owner said would be the “Biggest Firework’s Show on Earth”! She is a hoot! I wish we could have stayed for the show but needed to get on home. Next year we are going to reserve a room there for the 4th.

As we rolled down 18 toward to moonshine capital of the world and were overtaken by numerous crotch rockets. They passed in curves with little regard to anyone’s safety including their own. We arrive home before dark with an additional 316 miles on the clock. The Carolina Girl said it was one of the most enjoyable rides we have done recently.

Thanks for riding along and stay tuned for my report on a 500-mile ride coming Monday the 5th God willing.

Thunder Road HD Dabville, VA

Lovers Leap in Patrick County Virginia

The following 2 users liked this post by Cosmic Razorback:
sam_spade (07-06-2021), Stiggy (07-04-2021)

Quick Reply: The Open Road - Adventures of Cosmic Razorback