Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

The Open Road - Adventures of Cosmic Razorback

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2019 | 04:43 PM
Cosmic Razorback
|
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,279 Likes on 7,400 Posts

Originally Posted by FatboysFatboy96
If you’re into military history either do the Naval air Museum at the Naval air station in Pensacola or go over to Mobile and tour the battleship Alabama and the submarine Drum.
if you had to Mobile you might want to go to Dauphine Island and check out that area.
Yes some of those are on our list. I've been to the battle ship but my wife has not.

Thanks

Old 12-23-2019 | 05:03 PM
Cosmic Razorback
|
Seasoned HDF Member

North Carolina to Florida Year End Christmas Ride 2019

Day 3

Praise be to God for a wonderful day’s ride.

WOW hard to believe day 3 is almost in the history books. This was a quiet day compared to the last couple. We slept in, enjoyed a few cups of coffee said our daily prayers and read our devotionals and waited for the HD dealer to open at 10am.

I must give a big shout out to Mitchell and Austin at Pensacola HD. All the folks there were super friendly and welcoming. I ask Mitchell in service if they could wash my dirty bike and he immediately said YES, pull it right in. Austin is their detail guy and he was such a pleasure to meet and get to know. He really takes pride in his work and it’s always nice to hear someone say the love their job. I had another young man in sales, Travis who also loves his job. They did a GREAT job on the bike and did not charge me. Just asked that I take care of Austin which I did with a nice Green Handshake! Got a couple of t-shirts and poker chips while there.

By the time we left it was going on 1pm. We stopped for fuel, stopped by the local grocery and picked up some snacks and made a stop back at the hotel. Next stop was Peg Leg Jacks about two miles west of the hotel for some awesome seafood. Well guess what? It was Magical Meatloaf Monday! I could not resist after hearing the story of this meatloaf. The wife decided she would so it as well. Got to tell you it was GOOD! Great soul food that we needed. The folks that own Peg Legs also own Maria’s Seafood which owns its own fleet of shrimp boats for daily fresh catch. We’ll be back there before we leave.

Once our bellies were full, we leaned left toward Fort Pickens and the end of the peninsula but were stopped as high waters and sand had come across the road. Trucks were crossing but a freshly washed HD was NOT crossing through that salt water. While the temps were in the upper 50’s the cloud cover and higher afternoon winds made it feel much cooler. I had my summer gloves on, and we had zipped both inner layers out of the HD Killian jackets and it was cool. So, the decision was made to go back to the hotel, rest and chill for the evening.

I just went out on the balcony for some late day photos before the sun goes down and the wind is brutal.

Tuesday, Christmas EVE looks to be sunny and in the 70’s. It will be a big ride day hopefully with lots of good photos.

Stay tuned

Yes a CLEAN bike again to enjoy!

Austin on the right side of me who washed and detailed the bike. He did a great job!

Last edited by Cosmic Razorback; 12-23-2019 at 05:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Spanners39 (07-02-2024)
Old 12-23-2019 | 05:25 PM
Cosmic Razorback
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Peg Leg Jacks

Magical Meatloaf Monday (VERY GOOD)

Spanners39 (07-02-2024)
Old 12-23-2019 | 05:30 PM
Cosmic Razorback
|
Seasoned HDF Member
Spanners39 (07-02-2024)
Old 12-23-2019 | 05:34 PM
Cosmic Razorback
|
Seasoned HDF Member

You may have noticed that our sheep skin was off the bike when we got it washed. Well we rode with it on yesterday in the rain and it got very wet. First time we have eve done that with the two we have owned in 8 years. They must dry naturally so we left it out on the balcony over night. This afternnon when we returned to the hotel it was dry and looks and feels great. It'll be back on the bike tomorrow.

Old 12-23-2019 | 05:40 PM
Cosmic Razorback
|
Seasoned HDF Member
Spanners39 (07-02-2024)
Old 12-23-2019 | 05:45 PM
Cosmic Razorback
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Toward the Bay

Home of the "Blue Angels"

Snacks and protection.

Last edited by Cosmic Razorback; 12-23-2019 at 05:47 PM.
Spanners39 (07-02-2024)
Old 12-24-2019 | 07:11 AM
Cosmic Razorback
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Tuesday December 24th, 2019 "Christmas Eve".

It's really quiet here on the beach this morning. The wife and I woke up at 5 am and always realize that is CST and our bodies are on EST. I've attached a couple of pictures just shot off the balcony looking east at the Gulf and north at the bay.

A few thoughts to share:
Pensacola is a very easy area to get around in. We know two young people who are down here attending Pensacola Christian College. We saw it yesterday for the first time and it is a beautiful campus. I can certainly see the appeal to come here. They have recommended two places for us to eat. The first we will be trying out within the hour. It is Bagelhead Coffe Shop. That will be our first stop for breakfast and coffee to begin the days ride. It is also next Door to a Salt Grass Seakhouse. WOW we ate at one in Dallas a few years back and really enjoyed it. May try that for dinner tonight if they are open! They also recommended Rodezio's Brazilian Steak House. Not sure we'll make it there if we do Salt Grass. They told me that if we go we must try the "Chicken Heart". I thought I was getting setup, but it turns out to be a tradition for the college students.

Looking ahead at the weather we may have to change our Friday and Saturday plans and roll back home. Looks like rain coming back in the southeast and we've had enough rain for one trip. Plus Saturday it will be 64 degrees back home so a good re-entry date according to HD Base Command.

A final comment to share and the reason we do not own a trailer. Two dear friends of ours were amazing riders. They rode all 48 lower states more than once, all over Canada and into Alaska twice. They both, husband and wife have several Iron Butt patches including the Coast to Coast in 50. He told me when we started back riding in 2008 that they NEVER trailer. That every ride regardless of the weather was an adventure that they always remember, talk about, laugh about and have great memories of. We've tried to follow that same thought process and it has worked well for us. The key for my wife and I are to allow extra days, Stay flexible, always be ready and willing to change course, stay longer and leave sooner.

Time to Ride!

God Bless

The following 5 users liked this post by Cosmic Razorback:
robarosa (12-24-2019), sire86 (12-24-2019), Spanners39 (07-02-2024), vianos (01-07-2020), WillSin865 (12-24-2019)
Old 12-24-2019 | 09:10 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 21,836 Likes on 9,590 Posts

That’s a really good start to your new thread. Looking forward to this going forward... very jealous of you riding in late December... tough job, but someone’s gotta do it... Right?? ... lol.

Cosmic Razorback (12-24-2019)
Old 12-24-2019 | 09:43 PM
Cosmic Razorback
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Amen brother. The tough one is my wife! Man she loves to ride and can really hang with the best of them. If she had learned to ride herself at an early age I would not be able to keep up with her.

Quick Reply: The Open Road - Adventures of Cosmic Razorback