Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

The Open Road - Adventures of Cosmic Razorback

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2020 | 10:06 AM
Cosmic Razorback
|
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,279 Likes on 7,400 Posts

Originally Posted by Nokkon Wud
Ft Myers to Tampa isn't the everglades lol, Thought you were talking south of Belle Glades out in the swamp.
Read they just killed 80 pythons down there as part of a contest.

If you get up to the Clearwater area let me know maybe we can get together. The lake behind me has gators, I'll show you were to try for one. lol.
Yeah I know. What I was trying to say was hwy 41 across & Everglades City area, then work out way up the west / gulf coast through Fort Myers & Tampa. All new areas for my wife.

I was in Everglades City three years back now on a ride with a buddy.

Yes I did see that catch on the Pythons which surprised me they did not get a lot more than that.

Last edited by Cosmic Razorback; 01-30-2020 at 10:07 AM.
Old 01-30-2020 | 10:57 AM
Nokkon Wud
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 1,557 Likes on 848 Posts

Originally Posted by Cosmic Razorback

Yes I did see that catch on the Pythons which surprised me they did not get a lot more than that.
Surprised me too. Was speaking with someone that goes down there hunting them, he said they are extremely hard to locate esp. now that it's cold.

The following users liked this post:
Cosmic Razorback (01-30-2020)
Old 01-30-2020 | 05:47 PM
Hammerhead Pat
Stellar HDF Member
Received 960 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by Nokkon Wud
Surprised me too. Was speaking with someone that goes down there hunting them, he said they are extremely hard to locate esp. now that it's cold.
The typical Florida reasoning. Why is there only a python "season". It should be open season on them!!!

The following 2 users liked this post by Hammerhead Pat:
5wheels (01-30-2020), Cosmic Razorback (01-30-2020)
Old 01-31-2020 | 08:32 AM
Nokkon Wud
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 1,557 Likes on 848 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammerhead Pat
The typical Florida reasoning. Why is there only a python "season". It should be open season on them!!!
I think it is open season on them for private lands with no permit required. There is a season on state land which doesn't make much sense to me either.
IMO they should be outlawed to own.

Cosmic Razorback (01-31-2020)
Old 02-22-2020 | 07:13 PM
Cosmic Razorback
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Open Road Ride Report - Day Ride - Saturday February 22, 2020 (02-22-2020)

Wow it has felt like a year since we have ridden. It was a long week for sure, but a good week. We saw a lot of rain, temps in the high 60's, SNOW, yes SNOW thursday evening into Friday morning and this morning we woke up to 21*. The bright beautiful sunshine came through the blinds about 7 am and it looked like a day to ride. I checked out the forecast and it was calling for sunshine all day with a high of 56 degrees! Made coffee, the wife finally woke up and we enjoyed a nice breakfast together. I asked if she would like to try out her new helmet today before our Daytona trip and got a big smile and a big "YES". So we were lazy and finally got ready and rolled out about 12 noon. We ran up Hwy 601 N toward Yadkinville, NC with a huge smile on our faces. Leaned left onto Hwy 421 and cruised up to Crossroads HD in Wilkesboro. I was pleased when we got off the bike and my wife said she really likes her new helmet! That was a first because she has been a total 1/2 helmet rider year round and in the rain.

The dealership was hopping today. About a dozen bikes out front and many more cars. They had a lot of stuff on sale from 20 to 60% off. Plus you could spin the wheel for extra discounts. My wife found a wallet she had to have. It was very nice, regular $40.00 bucks and with the discounts left with it under $25.00 with tax. Nothing I needed today. They have a really sweet CVO limited and Street Glide both in gray. I'd love to have the pair in my garage.

So we rolled out of the dealership at 2pm with no where to be. It is so nice out I pointed the front wheel north on Hwy 18 and we crossed the Continental Divide in no time, felt the air temp immediately drop, rolled under the Blue Ridge Parkway and were surprised to see several cars at Freeborne's. Yes they are OPEN Thursday through Sunday. A lady ran out and said we were the first and only bike of the day. She asked if she could take our picture and post it on Facebook. Sure no problem! We went in and enjoyed our meal. There were about 8 people there really enjoying themselves. Soemguy kept putting money in the jukebox and the tunes were go while we were watching some racing on the televisions. After a good meal we pointed her south and returned home at 5:30pm just before dark. What a great day for a ride in the NC high country. Bright sunshine, some salt on the roads, warm and toasty with a full belly!

The bike ran GREAT all day! Thanks and stay tuned for our 2020 Daytona Spring Rally Ride. Just booked our hotel today! WooHoo...

Crossroads HD - Wilkesboro, NC

The motel at Freebornes.

Mrs. Cosmic Razorback

Pimiento Cheeseburger

Baby Back Rib Sandwich

A little snow on the Blueridge hanging around for the next snow.

Blueridge Parkway over Hwy 18 North of Wilkesboro

Stations Inn in the background on the right. It was closed. Freebornes on the far left and they were rocking!

CanadianRocky (02-22-2020)
Old 02-22-2020 | 07:19 PM
Cosmic Razorback
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Well guess it was good we did a test run today. I thought I had the GoPro on video when we left the dealership heading up the mountain. Nope, it was in picture mode so I missed some excellent video opportunities. Here are a few I was able to pull off.

Old 02-22-2020 | 09:13 PM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,658 Likes on 1,130 Posts

So we rolled out of the dealership at 2pm with no where to be. It is so nice out I pointed the front wheel north on Hwy 18 and we crossed the Continental Divide in no time, felt the air temp immediately drop, rolled under the Blue Ridge Parkway and were surprised to see several cars at Freeborne's.
Which Continental Divide are you referring to? Isn't the Continental Divide about 1,400 miles to the west?

Old 02-23-2020 | 12:26 PM
Cosmic Razorback
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by LQQK_OUT
Which Continental Divide are you referring to? Isn't the Continental Divide about 1,400 miles to the west?
There is more than one Continental Divide. To be more specific this would be the Eastern CD.

https://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/...lina_2694_feet

http://www.gpsinformation.org/jack/D...Divide-NC.html

Old 02-23-2020 | 01:02 PM
Hammerhead Pat
Stellar HDF Member
Received 960 Likes on 569 Posts

That dealership looks familiar. Is it located at the end of a mall and easy to pass if you don't know it's there? Great pics, love that area up there...

Old 02-23-2020 | 01:07 PM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,658 Likes on 1,130 Posts

There is more than one Continental Divide. To be more specific this would be the Eastern CD.

https://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/...lina_2694_feet

http://www.gpsinformation.org/jack/D...Divide-NC.html
Looks like I learned something today!
I do believe when you mention "Continental Divide", most people would assume you are talking about the Continental Divide of the Americas.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contin...f_the_Americas

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter...inental_Divide

Cosmic Razorback (02-23-2020)

Quick Reply: The Open Road - Adventures of Cosmic Razorback