Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Vicksburg Day Ride

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2019, 03:52 AM
mprima
Intermediate
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Vicksburg Day Ride

Yesterday was such a beautiful day. Sunny, 75 in the morning and would only reach in the low 80's, it's Wednesday so there should only be the normal work traffic on the road. Well, I'm off so, Let's Geaux Riding!.

I decided to make a run to Vicksburg, MS and ride around the Battlefield. My Dad would bring my younger brother and me up here when we were kids. I have fond memories of Mom packing a huge lunch stacked with all our favorite snacks. She also had an ice chest filled with cold drinks and could put any bartender to shame with her speedy service ... and of course always with Mom's beautiful smile. My brother and I would be in the backseat chatting it up with Dad as he drove down the road. His eyes bounced from the surveying the terrain ahead to the rearview mirror and the to misfits cutting up in the backseat. Smiles and laughs filled the car the whole ride up, which was good because those same two cut-ups in the backseat would be zonked out for the trip home that afternoon.

There is one thing I do remember outside of the late 70's version of Leaving it to Beaver (if Ward was a 6'6" Italian, who farted the whole trip and blamed it on his youngest son who made a huge spectacle of making sure everyone in the car knew it was Dad that actually committed the offense). I remember the road up there being long, curvy, very little in the way of traffic, lined with farms and huge houses, cut through rolling hills and the occasional small town. It was pretty boring for a 12-year-old boy ... But sounded perfect to me now... So Hwy 61 from Baton Rouge to Vicksburg would be the order of the Day.

The journey started out heading west on I-10 right in the middle of Baton Rouge. Now for those of you who are not familiar with South Louisiana or more specifically Baton Rouge, I-10 splits into I-12 right at the point I started my journey. I-10 turns slightly Southeast and continues to New Orleans eventually swinging Northeast and merging back with I-12 on the other side of Slidell, LA close to the Mississippi/Louisiana Stateline. I-12 runs East/West from Baton Rouge to Slidell straight through what is known as the Florida Parishes. In Louisiana, we call them Parishes instead of Counties. The Florida Parishes (East Baton Rouge, Livingston, Tangipahoa, Washington, St Helena, and St Tammany) were all part of The Florida territory at one time. Ok sorry, I digress. So I jumped on I-10 at College Drive right where it merges with I-12, yes this area is pretty much a cluster bomb of cars and trucks weaving in and out. All of them jockeying to get just one more car length ahead of the next guy. You really have to keep your head on a swivel here. I stayed in the right lane and kept my speed down a bit, my eyes moving from mirrors to my windshield with the occasional scan over my shoulder. Sounds stressful I know but it really wasn't too bad and it wasn't for very long because a little over a mile or so, I-10 splits again. I-10 keeps heading west over the Mississippi River on towards the South Central and Southwest parts of Louisiana, also known as Cajun Country. I-110 runs North and South across what is essentially North Baton Rouge.

I stayed right and merged onto I-110 and headed North. The traffic here was lighter but the intelligence of the drivers did not improve much. So the awareness level was on high alert as I rode along passing our State Capitol Building, the Exxon refinery, Southern University area, Baton Rouge Airport, the Junction with historic US Hwy 190 (another nice ride), and eventually coming to the end of I-110 and the beginning of US Hwy 61 North.

All sign point you to Natchez, MS, on of the jewels of the Mississippi River. I can't say enough about Natchez. I can spend hours walking the streets of Natchez taking pictures of beautiful Anibellum period homes, getting drunk off the sweet smell of honeysuckles in bloom and getting lost in wonderful conversations with some truly nice people. But today Natchez will only be fuel stop. Maybe a quick bite to eat.

As you ride Hwy 61 you'll notice it's rather large. It's four-laned most of the way to Vicksburg. Interstate room but not the Interstate feel. The speed limit for most of the Hwy is 65 mph except as it passes through towns like St Francisville, LA, Woodville, MS, of course, Natchez and Port Gibson. The entire road, outside these towns and other smaller communities, sprinkled in between, is lined with farms and green pastures, rolling hills and thick wetlands, creeks and ponds, soybean fields and pine tree thickets and homes ranging from million-dollar mansions to single wide mobile trailers. Hwy 61 definitely gives you a variety of sights and scenes.

St Francisville was the first place I came too. I need some go-go juice and was feeling a little thirsty. I have only been riding for about 45 mins at this point but with the stress of getting of Baton Rouge during the morning commute (note to self, pay attention to the time when you depart - geez rookie mistake!), I could use the break. St Francisville is a special place. It has several plantations homes that have been restored and are open to the public. Rosedown, Oakley, and Butler Greenwood are all beautiful homes and gardens open to the public. Butler Greenwood is actually a B&B where you can stay the night. There are several other plantation homes scattered around the town, these are private residences but they are beautiful to see and maybe get a picture of as you pass by. Oh, and how could I forget ... The Myrtles! This is supposed to be the most haunted home in the US. It's an Early 19th century Creole cottage style home, I mention this because it's a very different style than the more stereotypical Greek revival, huge white-columned mansions like Oak Alley or Nottaway (the Gone with the Wind houses as I call them). It is supposed to be built on an Indian burial mound and there are more ghosts hanging around this place then you can shake a stick at. Oh and you can freakin' spend the night. Umm yeah, but Nah! The Myrtles is a must-see if you haven't been already. St Francisville is also a nice little town to ride around. I filled up. stretched my legs, grabbed a drink, adjusted a few things on my bag, decided to skip a visit to the Ghosts at the Myrtles. Back on the road.

Again, the ride on Hwy 61 is very relaxing. It just kinda winds and bends at a lazy pace heading up for Louisiana into Mississippi. The road itself isn't all that bad. there are a few areas that could use a little work as in the case of most roads in Louisiana. There are a few areas of construction but nothing too bad. I can only remember one spot, coming into St Francisville actually, where the left lane is closed due to construction.

I left St Francisville and crossed into Mississippi. The could not have been better. A bluebird sky with the occasional cloud sliding in front of the sun. The temperature in the low 80's (which for down here in Late July early August is cool) and the humidity seemed to be light today. Traffic was extremely light which gave me plenty of opportunities to look around and enjoy the scenery. I know eyes on the road, head on a swivel and all that, but you know what I mean. I didn't have to focus as much on watching the jackasses in the cages and I could enjoy the countryside a little more. It was very relaxing.

I came on into Natchez about 11 or so. The straight drive time so far has been two hours. I did stop a few times to take in the sights a little more. I just found some spots along the way worth my time to stop and soak it in. So now it was 11 and I figured I'd go ahead and top off and grab a quick bite somewhere. I wanted to wait until I got on the other side of Natchez. Following the signs through Natchez to stay on 61 was surprisingly easy. I was relying on road signs and a sense of direction to get me there. No GPS, no Google Maps, no Wazes... just me and my knowledge of how to get somewhere. Like we use to do it before all these gadgets. I'm not going to pat myself on the back too much about a successful trip with no GPS assistance and not getting lost once. I did pick a rather easy road to follow. It's pretty much a straight shot from Baton Rouge to Vicksburg one road. Hard to get lost doing that.

After a bite at McDonald's (Blah I know), I jumped back on the road. It was another hour to Vicksburg. Now, this is where the road gets a little tricky, but not too bad. 61 merges with I-20. To get to Vicksburg I had to go East and take the West Clay Road exit. As soon as you loop around off I-20 the entrance to the Military Park is right there. I paid the entrance fee, stopped at the visitor center to look at some of the exhibits, then hopped on the Road King and rode through the park. That was a treat all in itself. So many monuments and memorials scattered all through the park. I did take the audio tour which I was able to get on my cell phone and lay through my SENA. The park road itself was fun too, it twisted and turned, some pretty sharp downhill and others curving uphill. It was a surprisingly nice set of twisties. Very much a treat. I was able to get quite a few pictures with my big camera. I did manage to remember to use my cell phone and snap a few to send to the wife. Those pictures are what you see below. It took me about 2 hours to ride the park and stop in the places I wanted to. Just the ride around the park was well worth the trip, but the history refresher was a bonus.

I thought about taking a right and going into downtown Vicksburg, but I didn't. Maybe that'll be another trip. I left the park and headed back the same way I came. Hwy 61 had not changed since I was a kid and I was grateful for that. I now have fond memories of different sort tucked n my brain. Memories that I can repeat if I want. That I will in the near future I think. All I have to do is look out the window and say to myself ... Let's Geaux Riding!!!

The following users liked this post:
MajorKG (07-28-2019)
Old 07-27-2019, 04:34 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 459 Likes on 358 Posts

Nice Pics and it sounds like a nice ride. The temps we have had in this area for the last week have been unbelievable for MS/LA in July, much better than the 100 degrees we usually face this time of year. I agree with you Natchez is a cool town to wonder around I often make day trips there myself either of the trace or I take back roads to 61 and head south to Natchez. Will likely be riding the back roads in the MS Delta today enjoying more of the mild temps

mprima (07-27-2019)
Old 07-27-2019, 06:07 AM
Grandslam
Road Warrior
Received 339 Likes on 210 Posts

We rode up to Vicksburg last Saturday and ate at Number 10 Rooftop Bar and Grill. We then rode 61 south through Port Gibson before we peeled off to head across country and home. Someone mentioned riding the park, but it was way too hot.

Glad you had a good ride.

mprima (07-27-2019)
Old 07-27-2019, 06:29 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 21,810 Likes on 9,584 Posts

Looks like it was a great day .... I would love to get back East and into the South and explore.

Last edited by CanadianRocky; 07-27-2019 at 06:31 AM.
mprima (07-27-2019)
Old 07-27-2019, 06:45 AM
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,341 Likes on 6,765 Posts

Thanks for sharing.

mprima (07-27-2019)
Old 07-27-2019, 08:06 AM
ROUNDHEAD
Road Master
Received 171 Likes on 123 Posts

Good story, you better enjoy this weather while you can. Unusual for this time of year, for sure.

Mxdad (07-28-2019)
Old 07-27-2019, 07:07 PM
robarosa
Road Master
Received 562 Likes on 393 Posts

Lots of stories there. Thanks for sharing.

mprima (07-28-2019)
Old 07-28-2019, 12:23 PM
keith_stepp
Banned
Received 1,505 Likes on 1,077 Posts

Rode through Vicksburg and spent the day there a few years ago. My goal was to see the iron clad museum, which was very cool. But, I also did the battleground tour, which was also very cool. It's a very pretty town too. Would definitely go back.

mprima (07-28-2019)