Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Baton Rouge to ToD

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2019, 11:46 PM
mprima
Intermediate
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Baton Rouge to ToD

I'm going to taking a 3 day trip to the Dragon. Possibly July 26th to 28th or Aug 2nd to 3rd. If anyone is in BR area and interested pm me. I can adjust the dates a bit.

Day 1 - BR to Chattanooga. Spend the night at the Days Inn just outside Chattanooga. It's about $60 p/n. (~8hrs & +/- 430 miles)

Day 2 - Drive mapped route which loops from the Days Inn, Taking I75 to Hwy 74 to Hwy 66. It follows 66 for a while and then hits Hwy 19 at Murphy. At Topton the route heads Northwest on Hwy 129 (Tallulah Rd/Tapaco Rd/ToD) and enters the ToD at the South end. Plan to stop at Deal's Gap for a little bit. Then continue on the ToD with a stop at Dragon Harley and the Pitt (and anything else that I find interesting along the way). The route continues Northwest eventually turning Southwest at McGhee and starting the loop back to Chattanooga. This will be an all day outing. (~375 miles / Time TBA)

Day 3 - Chattanooga to BR (~8hrs & +/- 430 miles)

I have the whole thing mapped out and even have road stops every 1.5 to 2 hours for fuel up and a stretch. Might even swing by a few HD shops to snap some pics, check out a few shirts, etc. There's a couple on the route.

PM me if ya interested.

Old 07-18-2019, 06:06 PM
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 15,680 Likes on 6,484 Posts

Have a safe and great trip.

The following users liked this post:
mprima (07-18-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 07:45 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 456 Likes on 356 Posts

Sounds like a great weekend trip

What route are you taking from BR to Chattanooga that is only 430 miles? I am just north of Jackson MS and for me its just a little over 408 Miles to Chattanooga, I realize you will not route through Jackson from BR but the routes I looked at show over 530 miles from BR to Chattanooga

The other comment I have is 375 miles including riding through the Smokies, ToD etc... is quite an undertaking with the slow speeds that you will be running in the Smokies and time spent for stops etc... Our last trip there a couple months ago we did a route from our cabin outside of Gattlinburg to Townsend, Foothills parkway, ToD, lunch at deals gap, into Cherokee and up 441 back to the cabin. I think that was only about 180ish miles and it was an all day ride

But anyway have fun it is beautiful riding up there

mprima (07-19-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 11:04 AM
tas_todd
Stellar HDF Member

Received 743 Likes on 374 Posts

That's a LOT to take on in three days! lol

Four of us are heading from Baton Rouge to a cabin in Wears Valley mid Aug. Leave Thur morning and get back the next Fri

Day 1 = St Francisville to Memphis
Day 2 = Memphis to Wears Valley
Day 4-8 = riding the area
Day 9 & 10 = Heading back with a stop a Barbers Motorcycle Museum outside B-Ham, over night around Tuscaloosa then head in the next day.

mprima (07-19-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 01:47 PM
mprima
Intermediate
Default BR to ToD

Originally Posted by tas_todd
That's a LOT to take on in three days! lol

Four of us are heading from Baton Rouge to a cabin in Wears Valley mid Aug. Leave Thur morning and get back the next Fri

Day 1 = St Francisville to Memphis
Day 2 = Memphis to Wears Valley
Day 4-8 = riding the area
Day 9 & 10 = Heading back with a stop a Barbers Motorcycle Museum outside B-Ham, over night around Tuscaloosa then head in the next day.
Yes Sir. But I'm flexible. I work a 21/21 and my days off starts this coming Tuesday. I can add a day or two if I like. I know not everyone is that flexible so I tossed this out there. The ToD day can be shorten or made a little less wearing on the body I guess you can say ... because you can hit I-75 back to Chattanooga pretty easy ... I'm also thinking about switching my dates to run during the weekday instead of over the weekend.

You trip looks fun. Wears Valley is a very nice area. Kinda away from the Gatlinburg/PF crowds. The Museum would be ice to see ... not sure if I could ... Nope definitely couldn't stay around Tuscaloosa GEAUX TIGERS!!

Old 07-19-2019, 02:09 PM
mprima
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mxdad
Sounds like a great weekend trip

What route are you taking from BR to Chattanooga that is only 430 miles? I am just north of Jackson MS and for me its just a little over 408 Miles to Chattanooga, I realize you will not route through Jackson from BR but the routes I looked at show over 530 miles from BR to Chattanooga

The other comment I have is 375 miles including riding through the Smokies, ToD etc... is quite an undertaking with the slow speeds that you will be running in the Smokies and time spent for stops etc... Our last trip there a couple months ago we did a route from our cabin outside of Gattlinburg to Townsend, Foothills parkway, ToD, lunch at deals gap, into Cherokee and up 441 back to the cabin. I think that was only about 180ish miles and it was an all day ride

But anyway have fun it is beautiful riding up there
Taking 59 North through Hattiesburg, Laurel, Meridian... and I'm sorry I typed then copy and pasted that wrong ... It's 530 not 430, you are 100% correct ... I wish I could find a 100 mile short cut LOL!

The Loop day, that's flexible. It doesn't have to be all twists and curves ... After the ToD run if that seems to have been enough and we want a more straight forward route back, we can get back to I-75 and Chattanooga.

Or might do the second night at Deal's or some place close to the GSM park. Then on Day 3 head back and stop for a room some place if I need. I work 21/21 so I have plenty of time. This is just a base plan. Can be adjusted. I know some people aren't as flexible so I tossed this out ... it's doable but still need to be a little flexible. We'll see I'll give y'all a report. And thanks for the info. It does give me some good base times. I do know the area pretty well. Driven it many times with camper and cage ... so your run on those roads does give me an idea. 441 can be a fun road in it's own right, especially the areas around Newfound Gap.

Old 07-21-2019, 10:55 AM
K Melancon
Road Warrior
Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

I am located just outside B.R. I have made that run to the Smokies many many times in one day. I always have to make 6-7 fuel stops at around 1/4 tank (6 gallon tank) and if you have a small tank it will be more unless you chance it. This is when I take my short breaks to hydrate, walk, restroom break, lunch, etc.. I have learned to get fuel in Slidell, LA because there are not many stations from there up on I-59 to the next fuel stop. After that it’s easy to find fuel on the route. It usually takes me 12 hrs to 14 hrs normally but has taken me 18 hrs on bikes once and that 18 hrs with many stops along the way was the best road trip up yet. We were all relaxed, good spirits and felt fresh not beaten up from rushing. But that same trip was also the worst coming back down as we had a heat wave come through and we were pushing it to get home. With the heat and wind dehydrating you it was bad, could not hydrate enough. This heat we have down here will beat you up this time of year so stay hydrated. I usually leave early morning before daybreak. I usually travel at the speed limit to a 2-3 over and taking in the stops my average moving speed while traveling on bike is 50-55 mph. Now that I’m retired I try to break that up into two day especially in the summer. I usually stay near Gatlinburg area and I go a different direction each day from there. I have learned how to bypass the traffic when passing through but if you going somewhere in Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge expect to be in heavy traffic especially in the evenings. If I was only going for three days and had my choice of days it would be Monday to Wednesday because the whole world goes to the area on weekends. I refuse to ride the Dragon from Friday to Sunday.

Last edited by K Melancon; 07-21-2019 at 10:58 AM.
mprima (07-21-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 11:07 AM
mprima
Intermediate
Default Good Info

Originally Posted by K Melancon
I am located just outside B.R. I have made that run to the Smokies many many times in one day. I always have to make 6-7 fuel stops at around 1/4 tank (6 gallon tank) and if you have a small tank it will be more unless you chance it. This is when I take my short breaks to hydrate, walk, restroom break, lunch, etc.. I have learned to get fuel in Slidell, LA because there are not many stations from there up on I-59 to the next fuel stop. After that it’s easy to find fuel on the route. It usually takes me 12 hrs to 14 hrs normally but has taken me 18 hrs on bikes once and that 18 hrs with many stops along the way was the best road trip up yet. We were all relaxed, good spirits and felt fresh not beaten up from rushing. But that same trip was also the worst coming back down as we had a heat wave come through and we were pushing it to get home. With the heat and wind dehydrating you it was bad, could not hydrate enough. This heat we have down here will beat you up this time of year so stay hydrated. I usually leave early morning before daybreak. I usually travel at the speed limit to a 2-3 over and taking in the stops my average moving speed while traveling on bike is 50-55 mph. Now that I’m retired I try to break that up into two day especially in the summer. I usually stay near Gatlinburg area and I go a different direction each day from there. I have learned how to bypass the traffic when passing through but if you going somewhere in Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge expect to be in heavy traffic especially in the evenings. If I was only going for three days and had my choice of days it would be Monday to Wednesday because the whole world goes to the area on weekends. I refuse to ride the Dragon from Friday to Sunday.
Thanks, Melancon!! Really good info! Really good. I have made the trip many times myself, will be the first time on this bike. Yes, you are correct, Slidell is a must stop before turning north. I have the option of staying in the Cleveland area to the north of Chatanooga. And yes I planned on doing it during the week to miss the weekend warriors. I was planning on 10 to 12 hours on the bike depending on traffic, but now I'll schedule at least 12. Thanks again and I'll give y'all a report when I get back.

FYI I'll be running you to Vicksburg on Thursday via 61. Just to go see the battlefield again, I have not been there since I was young. If anyone wants to tag along, you are more than welcome.

Old 07-21-2019, 11:46 AM
K Melancon
Road Warrior
Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by mprima

FYI I'll be running you to Vicksburg on Thursday via 61. Just to go see the battlefield again, I have not been there since I was young. If anyone wants to tag along, you are more than welcome.
Old Country Store in Lorman, MS is a must stop for lunch if you passing it on 61. Best fried chicken and other great food. I usually jump on the Natchez Trace in Natchez to go up there.

Last edited by K Melancon; 07-21-2019 at 11:48 AM.
mprima (07-21-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 03:43 PM
mprima
Intermediate
Default Yum

Originally Posted by K Melancon
Old Country Store in Lorman, MS is a must stop for lunch if you passing it on 61. Best fried chicken and other great food. I usually jump on the Natchez Trace in Natchez to go up there.
Yes, sir!!! That sounds like I'm planning the run to be in Lorman around lunch!! Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Baton Rouge to ToD