Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Alaska in 4 Weeks

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 01:46 PM
ghostrunner
Road Master
Received 322 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 2wheelwanderer
Pics!

Have you posted on advrider?
No havent

Old 06-16-2019, 01:47 PM
ghostrunner
Road Master

Originally Posted by CanadianRocky
Great! I loved my Alaska Run a few years back. Make sure you run a thread to keep us in the loop. Law of Fuel .... never ever pass an open Gas station... the next one may not be open, may not have gas, may not have electricity to pump gas even if their open and have gas. But, I never packed gas, I rode alone, and was fine. There are two seasons up there ... Winter and construction... don’t plan on any more than 50/60 mph... lots and lots of potholes & frost heaves. You won’t find paved parking in gas stations and restaurants once your out of the City’s, so plan your out, as your pulling in.

I ran from BC to California to Alaska to Ontario and back to BC. Here is where I started the BC to Alaska part.....

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/road-...l#post16343559

Ive followed your tread all along. Thanks for inf

Old 06-16-2019, 02:04 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 21,687 Likes on 9,539 Posts

Any questions at all, feel fee to ask

Old 06-16-2019, 03:44 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,271 Likes on 1,848 Posts

I would strongly recommend that you consider having a lot of the 3M protective clear film installed on your bike before your trip.

I went to AK in 2000 and my new UC took a severe gravel beating, especially to the lower fairings and the fronts of the saddlebags.
Cover whatever you do want to have repainted. The cost of the of this material is far less than repainting later on.

In addition to what others have suggested. I would suggest that you consider taking the ferry south out of Haines, AK down to WA.
This saves a lot of miles on your bike (on roads that you've already ridden) and the cabin costs (book now if you want to do this) may be more than motel rooms but you can relax, eat, drink, party and rest up for the rest of your trip.

There's a lot of great scenery between WA and MO but I'd recommend that you consider Mt St. Helens and Crater Lake if that fits in with your schedule and routes.

I planned my return trip so that I would be near Sturgis, S.D. in time for bike week and I had my wife and other relatives trailer out and we had nearly a week of touring the Black Hills before heading for home.

So much to see out that way so squeeze as much in as possible even if it means some creative and out-of-the way trip planning and routing!

Old 06-16-2019, 04:12 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

In construction zones always filter to the front if their waiting their turn to go .... the flagers and pilot
cars will direct you to do so...... when you approach a moving bunch of cars, stop at the Stop person, and wait for the next bunch to move.... you don’t want to be tail end Charlie in line of 50 cars on dusty sealcoating.

Old 06-16-2019, 08:22 PM
ghostrunner
Road Master

Originally Posted by 2AMGuy
I would strongly recommend that you consider having a lot of the 3M protective clear film installed on your bike before your trip.

I went to AK in 2000 and my new UC took a severe gravel beating, especially to the lower fairings and the fronts of the saddlebags.
Cover whatever you do want to have repainted. The cost of the of this material is far less than repainting later on.

In addition to what others have suggested. I would suggest that you consider taking the ferry south out of Haines, AK down to WA.
This saves a lot of miles on your bike (on roads that you've already ridden) and the cabin costs (book now if you want to do this) may be more than motel rooms but you can relax, eat, drink, party and rest up for the rest of your trip.

There's a lot of great scenery between WA and MO but I'd recommend that you consider Mt St. Helens and Crater Lake if that fits in with your schedule and routes.

I planned my return trip so that I would be near Sturgis, S.D. in time for bike week and I had my wife and other relatives trailer out and we had nearly a week of touring the Black Hills before heading for home.

So much to see out that way so squeeze as much in as possible even if it means some creative and out-of-the way trip planning and routing!
ive already had the bike covered with the HogSkins protective film. As far as route we going up the west side to Prince George then over 16 to 37 to Alcan to Tok then to Anchorage to Fairbanks then we are gonna come down thru Jasper to Glacier then onto Sturgis so no ferry needed. All total about 10,000 miles by the time get home. Piece of cake.

The following users liked this post:
2AMGuy (06-16-2019)
Old 06-16-2019, 08:42 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Originally Posted by ghostrunner
ive already had the bike covered with the HogSkins protective film. As far as route we going up the west side to Prince George then over 16 to 37 to Alcan to Tok then to Anchorage to Fairbanks then we are gonna come down thru Jasper to Glacier then onto Sturgis so no ferry needed. All total about 10,000 miles by the time get home. Piece of cake.
Nice....’the same route I took ..... head into Stewart, the drive through the Mountains is superb, watch for Bears..... if your staying in Tok, I stayed at the Golden Bear Motel, coming & going, great room, good people and excellent grub.

Old 06-16-2019, 08:51 PM
Bass Player
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,943 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Keep an eye on your tires. Every morning b4 you ride take a look. Roads up there seem to eat em.

Old 06-16-2019, 08:53 PM
ghostrunner
Road Master

Originally Posted by CanadianRocky
Nice....’the same route I took ..... head into Stewart, the drive through the Mountains is superb, watch for Bears..... if your staying in Tok, I stayed at the Golden Bear Motel, coming & going, great room, good people and excellent grub.

Yes we are going to Hyder also. Staying Tok at the Sourdough campground. Had heard good things about it and says its a fun place too with good food in the morning. Planning on Fast Eddies the night before.

CanadianRocky (06-16-2019)
Old 06-16-2019, 08:55 PM
ghostrunner
Road Master

Originally Posted by Bass Player
Keep an eye on your tires. Every morning b4 you ride take a look. Roads up there seem to eat em.
Have heard that from several people. We all have our bikes at the dealers getting new tires on and oil changes done right now. Also have made our appointments in Anchorage to get services done there.

CanadianRocky (06-16-2019)

Quick Reply: Alaska in 4 Weeks