Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

2000 miles in ten days now with pics!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 11:02 PM
LTrain
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 miles in ten days now with pics!

Here are some pictures too! They're not allof the pictures I took, nor are they in the order I took them.

I was actually kind of disappointed. I travelled in like 6 or 7 states and I didn't see any "Welcome to X" signs for pictures That could be because I wasn't on interstates, but only US highways or even lower on the food chain Above is obviously "Welcome to Paducah" which was the first welcome sign in Kentucky after I crossed the horrible metal grate platformed bridge... in the rain.

Stone Face is up on that hill somewhere. The first sign indicating stone face said "5 miles" than after 3 miles it said "3 miles." Grr, but OK. After 6 miles, the road turned to gravel. I was in no mood to ride the bike on gravel, so I parked and soldiered on a pied. ... 5 more miles in 99% humidity and huge heat. Remember in my last blog I mentioned I lost my water bottle? Right, it would've been handy here. Oh, and I almost got bitten by a dog, but Opey showed up and took the dog back into the trailer.

It's hard to see, but part of the problem finding Old Stone Face was that both roads in this picture are named Stone Face and head off in 3 directions.

Above is the US Post Office in Shawnee National Forest near Garden of the Gods. I don't recall, and can't make out the name of the town.

I think this one is fantastic. Southern, IL west of Garden of the Gods. And my helmet.

I'll put some more up on my blog in the signature.

https://www.hdforums.com/m_1841821/m...tm.htm#1878547

My most recent update, gets me to the end of the first day:
http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...ogID=285473192

Here's a report from "the road." Actually, I'm in a hotel in Memphis, TN. I will probably put a more detailed account on myspace at the link in my signature.

Thursday I drove the car to my mom's as explained in the original email. Blah Blah. Before I left Friday, i realized all four of the hubcaps on my car were loose. This is the same place that my personalized license plate was stolen from, so instead of tightening them, I popped them off and put them in mom's garage. But I digress.*

Friday I took off from mom's on the bike. I had a bed roll strapped to the forks, a backpack, and a tent strapped to the bio-ch seat. I started south on Route 41 southbound. I cut west on Indiana 2 to IL 17 to IL 1. IL 1 looked awesome on the map, so I figured I'd ride that a bit. (IL 1 aka Dixie Highway, although I hear I-65 shares the moniker.)

In the purported "best small town in Illinois", St. Ann (population 1300), I stopped for gas and noticed a bar with a Stroh's sign. Being from Chicago, I'm used to Old Style signs, Cold Beer, Cerveza Fria, AND Zimne Piwo, but rarely see a Stroh's sign.

Stayed true to IL 1. I sent a text, lat=40.227290 lon=-87.401420, text message (besides lat & long): "Food and gas. No super unleaded. Black sheep pub." Oddly, that was the last of the 92 or 93 Octane that I saw until 9 miles north of KY, and a

Old 07-10-2007, 09:41 PM
Still running
Road Warrior
Default RE: My week ride to "no where special" now with pics!

Enjoying the trip, thanks and great picures[sm=biker.gif]

Old 07-12-2007, 11:42 AM
LTrain
Road Master
Default RE: 2000 miles in ten days now with pics!

Here's my helmet at Graceland Harley. It's just tshirt and nick nacks. There's another dealer in memphis with all the fixin's. The clerk at Graceland HD did a pretty good impression of Elvis.

Old 07-13-2007, 10:33 AM
LTrain
Road Master

Coming north out of Missouri, just over the Ole Miss, I hit a swarm so bad, I had to stop because I couldn't see!

Old 07-14-2007, 07:15 AM
UltraDuke
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that is some nice country up there, i am originally from southern indiana