Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Winter riding in Phoenix?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 10:28 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,065 Likes on 12,183 Posts
Default Winter riding in Phoenix?

We'll be in Scottsdale next week and we're renting a bike to go riding for a day. Any intel on a good ride - nothing too long - maybe 4-6 hours?

I've done Tortilla Flats, which we may do again. Budy Stubbs has a route to Tombstone and beyond. Anyone have knowledge?

Old 02-08-2019, 12:20 PM
Jeevz1
Advanced
Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Likely too long at ~270 miles but Scottsdale - Prescott Valley - Jerome - Payson - Scottsdale is a good ride. A little longer but potentially faster due to more interstate is Prescott Valley - Jerome - Sedona - Fort Tuthill. Oak Creek Canyon north of Sedona is spectacular.

The following users liked this post:
nevada72 (02-08-2019)
Old 02-08-2019, 11:46 PM
rizzo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,694 Likes on 2,121 Posts

Above route is good but we did run into snow on the sides of the rode when we were through there in the winter, road surface was just wet - no ice that day. The Salt River canyon is a nice ride - 60 W to Claypool\Globe, then 187 up to Lake Roosevelt to 87 back to Phoenix. Maybe a local can jump in, I don't recall how high the elevations are on that route, I don't think you'd hit snow. but I could be wrong.

Old 02-09-2019, 08:12 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

Thanks guys.

Yeah, I definitely want to keep it on the warm side.

Old 02-10-2019, 09:23 PM
giacomo56
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts

I was there at the beginning of January....rented an ultra from Scottsdale HD... did 4 days in nasty cold weather.....my advice.
tortilla flats.....and Bartlet reservoir via the Cave creek road...you can hit a few biker bars on the way.

Old 02-10-2019, 10:05 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by giacomo56
I was there at the beginning of January....rented an ultra from Scottsdale HD... did 4 days in nasty cold weather.....my advice.
tortilla flats.....and Bartlet reservoir via the Cave creek road...you can hit a few biker bars on the way.

Excellent - thanks.

I'm considering riding Apache Trail past Tortilla Flats and all the way to Roosevelt Lake. I hear it's a bit dicey for road bikes, but the Google map images don't look so bad.

Old 02-10-2019, 10:34 PM
Rod burner
Cruiser
Received 59 Likes on 23 Posts

The road (Arizona 88) that takes you up past Tortilla Flats, turns into a dirt road a few miles past the Flats. A better route to take is to go highway 60 east through Superior and up into Globe, then get on the 188 to Roosevelt Lake. You can keep going past Roosevelt until you intersect with 87 (Beeline Highway). From there you can go to the right and go on up into Payson, Strawberry and Pine if you keep going, or you can go to the left and come back down towards Mesa. Then if you want to get off at Bush Highway, you can follow it down past Canyon Lake and beyond and eventually work your way back to highway 60. It’s a fun ride and doesn’t take the entire day unless you want it to. There are restaurants and gas stops along the way and some beautiful scenery.

nevada72 (02-11-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 07:27 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Rod burner
The road (Arizona 88) that takes you up past Tortilla Flats, turns into a dirt road a few miles past the Flats. A better route to take is to go highway 60 east through Superior and up into Globe, then get on the 188 to Roosevelt Lake. You can keep going past Roosevelt until you intersect with 87 (Beeline Highway). From there you can go to the right and go on up into Payson, Strawberry and Pine if you keep going, or you can go to the left and come back down towards Mesa. Then if you want to get off at Bush Highway, you can follow it down past Canyon Lake and beyond and eventually work your way back to highway 60. It’s a fun ride and doesn’t take the entire day unless you want it to. There are restaurants and gas stops along the way and some beautiful scenery.
Is there any elevation or cold weather to worry about on that route?

Old 02-12-2019, 07:10 PM
Rod burner
Cruiser
Received 59 Likes on 23 Posts

Sorry about the delay in answering. I believe that Payson is around 5,000 feet plus in elevation. It is definitely a bit colder up there. I don’t think there is any snow right now. Strawberry and Pine are a bit higher in elevation than Payson. Bring warm clothes if you decide to go on up there, but it should definitely be rideable unless we have a drastic change in weather. The mornings lately have been kind of cold, but the afternoons have been pretty nice down in the valley. Mid 30s to low 40s in the early mornings, usually in the 60sin the afternoons lately. We have rain supposedly coming tomorrow night and thursday.

nevada72 (02-13-2019)
Old 02-13-2019, 08:18 AM
mykaos
Advanced
Received 30 Likes on 12 Posts

If you’re here now or this coming weekend (2-16/17-19).. avoid higher elevations, we have weather coming through that is supposed to deliver rain and possibly snow.
As well, avoid anything east of Apache Jct on US 60 unless you enjoy sitting in LOTS of traffic due to the stupid renaissance festival.
Apache Trail turns to dirt about 4 miles east of Tortilla Flat. Took it to Roosevelt Lake in the truck about 3 months ago and it beat the krap out of my truck.
You can knock out a decent day of riding checking out Cave Creek / Bartlett Lake / Rio Verde / Fountain Hills / Saghuaro Lake / Salt River / Canyon Lake...

Rio Verde last weekend:

Need more info, PM me.

nevada72 (02-13-2019)

Quick Reply: Winter riding in Phoenix?