Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

I want to ride in beautiful country

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 09:24 AM
chambeaux1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I want to ride in beautiful country

I'm thinking about flying out to Montana so I can ride through wonderful scenic countrysides. Anyone do anything like this? Any ideas?

Old 07-05-2007, 06:48 AM
Mikey 1450
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Default RE: I want to ride in beautiful country

I have only ridenin western Montana, around flathead lake. Its awesome! Glacer park is a must see. Going to the sun rd, ... that pretty much says it.

Old 07-05-2007, 08:12 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

There is some beautiful riding in Montana and Wyoming. Don't discount the Colorado Rockie Mountains.

Bill

Old 07-05-2007, 12:53 PM
chambeaux1
Tourer

That's a good point about Colorado. I'll look into that as well.

Old 07-06-2007, 12:35 PM
schoney
Tourer

1) From Missoula toBozeman south (hwy 191 I think?)to Yellowstone/Jackson Holeand back to Billings through Cooke City over Bear Tooth hwy(beautiful, windy curves, and you may be in snow). 1-2 day ride
2) From Missoula to Kalispel east on hwy2 into Glacier Park, continue east on 2 to I-15 and south to Great Fall( head waters of the Mo. River), and west on hwy 200 back to Missoula. 1 day ride
3) From Missoula west on hwy 12 over Lolo Pass into Idaho and the Clearwater River to Lewiston. Stop in Orofino Id along the way and ask how to get to Dworshak Dam. Just as big as Hoover Dam and the road ends on top of the dam(71 stories hi). Also the worlds largest stealhead hatchery there. From Lewiston north on 95 to Spokane Wa and east on 90 back to Missoula. In Missoula there is the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation. 1 day ride.
4) From Lewiston Id cross the Snake R. into Clarkston and ask how to get to Joseph Or (1-1/2 hr ride to jospeh). A beautiful windy road, up and down canyons. Joseph is an old logging/sawmill/ranching town, turned into an artsie resort at the base of the most beautiful Wallowa mtn (Wall-ouh-a) range. There are bronze foundries with great galleries displaying various artists works. Espressos and drinks also.
Hope this help some, PM me if your in the joseph area, my wife and I enjoy the 3 hr ride there, if were free would love to ride over and meet you. Aug 25-27 there will be a bronze bike rendezvous at Wallowa Lake in Joseph.

Old 09-16-2007, 11:13 PM
davidhovlandg
Novice

(schoney ) all the rides he mentions above i have done one time or another recomend july or august, Awsome ride.Jackson hole tetions /yellowstone and beartooth highway.my favorite but hells canyon is awsome to

Old 09-17-2007, 10:12 PM
rebelnc
Cruiser

I always think of some of the scenes in Thunderbolt and Lightfoot, old Clint movie, that was filmed in that area, when I see Montana mentioned. Oh..and the last words of that soviet officer in The Hunt for Red October. "I would like
to have seen Montana"

Old 10-02-2007, 09:48 PM
NCP
Intermediate

We made a great loop ride that started in Sturgis, heading to Devils Tower on to Gillette, Wyoming then across the Big Horn Mountains thru Billings, Montana andinto Red Lodge Montana. A must is the pig races! Next day down the BeartoothPass (and there was snow at the top), thruYellowstone Park and back to Cody, WY. Gunfights in the street each night and a stay in the Irma Hoteltook you back in time. Down thru Thermopolis, Wy (Hot springs area). thru Medicine Bow (see the Virginian Hotel from theTV series)andthru Laramie, Wy.to head on into Colorado. We stayed in Grand Lakes, Co. (a great little alpine village), got up the next day and crossed the Rockies. What a ride! Elevation about
11, 000 and much wildlife. Back into Wyoming, thru Cheyenne and up to a small town called Newcastle. Next leg into South Dakota to Custer State Park, up Needles Hwy (caught in a hail storm), on to Mt. Rushmore, go to Wall Drug Store, ride thru the Badlands (temp was 118 degrees) and back to Sturgis for the last few days of the rally. Had great pitchfork fondu in Buffalo Chip campgound and I highly recommend that. There is some awesome scenery and great places to stop. Get Gas EVERY time you see a station. Sometimes it is about 100 miles in between stations. Have fun!