Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Gear for Touring....

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2019, 05:49 PM
brownie4412
HDF Community Team
Received 1,032 Likes on 600 Posts

https://www.kelty.com/salida-4-tent/

I’ve been eyeballing this one. I just wish there was someplace close that sold them so I could see it in person. 4p tent that packs down to 13x17.

Old 03-06-2020, 12:43 PM
Sligeanach
Novice
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I stumbled on a Ledge Sports Recluse a few years ago. Shorter tent poles for easier packing. The vestibules on either side make for convenient gear storage. It seems that they may be out of business which is a shame fantastic tent, went to sleep one night and woke up the next morning in the middle of a pond. Bone dry inside the tent. Gear in the vestibule got soaked on the ground. When I have to replace it I will definitely look for one with a vestibule. This one at Revzilla looks interesting, You can pitch just the footprint and the fly. https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...b-2-combo-tent

The following users liked this post:
Traxxx (07-26-2020)
Old 03-23-2020, 11:47 AM
Mark in wi
Advanced
Received 152 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by teeroy_;18658695I also wired up a 12v charging station powered by the battery tender plug. it stays in my right saddlebag on top of my gloves etc and I'll plug a tablet or a battery pack in to charge while riding.

[img
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/BAEAAOSwwZVcLZ2O/s-l500.jpg
Would you happen to have a picture of how you did this? I think this could be a nice backup to the portable charger I carry in my pocket.
Thanks
Mark

Old 03-23-2020, 03:51 PM
teeroy_
Road Warrior
Received 266 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in wi
Would you happen to have a picture of how you did this? I think this could be a nice backup to the portable charger I carry in my pocket.
Thanks
Mark
I'll get a pic of it next time I'm at the shop where my bike is stored. I bought some SAE plugs with pigtails from ebay and just wired the ports to the pigtail.

Mark in wi (03-23-2020)
Old 07-26-2020, 12:12 PM
Traxxx
Intermediate
Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

EDC is tool roll, leatherman with torx and hex bits, air pump, tire repair kit, IFAK, hat, gloves, rubber gloves and bandanna. With C-19 restrictions a mask now.
Riding gear changes with the weather and distance. More than 500 miles and its LD comfort base layer HD Vanoker leather Jacket and pants. Belstaff or Triumph boots, gloves to suit the weather. If I expect to overnight somewhere, I have a t shirt/long sleeve denim and shorts/jeans with my flip flops depending on weather. Extra socks and underwear.
AMA, HOG and credit cards and enough cash for a room and gas to get home.
Phone/IPad charger and cables. Travel size toiletry kit. Baby wipes in case I need to make like a Bear and cant catch a rabbit in the woods.

The following 2 users liked this post by Traxxx:
BigDogIdaho (08-02-2020), Mark in wi (07-27-2020)
Old 08-14-2020, 01:20 PM
TRM55
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That’s some great information and advice. I just took my first long trip 1400 miles two days. I am driving a 2020 Electra Glide police edition. I am looking for some answers about the handling of the bike on interstate. I had the stock windshield on with 10 lbs of stuff in each saddlebag. The rear shock was set on 5. Tire pressure was 40lbs in rear and and 36 lbs in front tire. I use a set of lowers from Advanblack which really helped with wind noise in helmet and buffing. I have a Klock Wrks 6.5 windshield I am going to try again now that I have the lowers installed. I weigh around 215. Whenever I came within the wind currents of tractor trailers at 70-80 mph the front end of bike was shaking not enough to feel like I was losing control but enough to really get my attention. As soon as I passed trucks bike settled down.

You being a seasoned traveler do you have any insight what is going on with my setup. Riding the backroads with five pounds or so in each bag is no problem. I really like the way this bike handles day to day driving.

Traxxx (08-14-2020)
Old 08-14-2020, 03:52 PM
Traxxx
Intermediate

Do you have the police seat and police windshield still on there?
Open the distance between you and the semi and pass quickly, maintain a relaxed grip.
On every bike I have had there has been some buffeting when passing semis. Some better or worse than others.

Old 08-14-2020, 04:59 PM
TRM55
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Traxxx
Do you have the police seat and police windshield still on there?
Open the distance between you and the semi and pass quickly, maintain a relaxed grip.
On every bike I have had there has been some buffeting when passing semis. Some better or worse than others.
i have the factory windshield and bought a solo mustang seat. I am going to do a test run with empty bags to see if weight in bags was contributing to bike wobble. Now I am wondering if new lowers are a problem. New bike new issues. Thanks for the advice, if I can figure out how to find this post in future I will let you know if I find resolution.

Old 08-14-2020, 05:23 PM
Traxxx
Intermediate

Just so I am clear, are you talking about when you overtake a semi or when the semi is going the opposite direction?

Old 08-14-2020, 05:49 PM
TRM55
3rd Gear

I am use to the tractor trailers when they are coming at me. As I am approaching a tractor trailer within 50 yards before I can feel the wind the bike starts wobbling in the front end till I pass the trailer. I may need the tube flairs on the front forks. I intend to carry more weight than 20 lbs on extended trips. I can’t live with the 6.5 inch Klock Wrks windshield. I don’t like looking thru police windshield I am 5’7”

Quick Reply: Gear for Touring....