Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Vegas to Sturgis

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 06:00 AM
Campbell
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vegas to Sturgis

After any advice on riding from Vegas to Sturgis for the rally.
Harley's all booked and can't wait. Leaving Vegas on July 26 in the morning to arrive at Rapid City on July 31, so riding over 6 days. Have accom booked in Rapid City but want to start booking accom along the way. Don't want to veer too far out of the way as it's a long trip but want to hit some nice bends and scenery and don't want to miss anything worth seeing.
This is what I have planned so far.
Day 1 - Ride to Williams via Hover Dam and Route 66
Day 2 - Ride to Kayenta via the Grand Canyon
Day 3 - Ride to Grand Junction via Monument Valley
Day 4 - Ride to Steamboat Springs
Day 5 - Ride to Cheyenne
Day 6 - Ride to Rapid City through Nebraska
Not set on any particular place to stay and wouldn't mind making it a bit further up than Cheyenne on the final night so the last days ride isn't as long. We get the bikes on the 25th so can leave early in the morning to make it further on the 1st day if we need to. Will be visiting Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse etc after we arrive so don't need to go via there on the way.
Seeking any advice at all on places to stay, roads to ride, things to see, things to avoid etc. Been wanting to do this ride for years so super excited.
Oh, and I'm in Australia so all I have been relying on is Google Maps and Google searches so far.
Thanx for any help and suggestions.
Campbell.

Last edited by Campbell; 11-02-2018 at 06:59 AM.
Old 11-02-2018, 06:38 AM
Weeboy1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 838 Likes on 614 Posts

Rally starts Aug.2

Old 11-02-2018, 06:54 AM
Campbell
6th Gear

Oops, dates should have been July not June. I'll edit it so it's correct.

Old 11-02-2018, 07:59 AM
touchdown
Supporter
Veteran: Army
Received 1,773 Likes on 1,008 Posts

Hell its only about 1000 miles. Why all the stopping

Old 11-02-2018, 02:14 PM
Campbell
6th Gear

Don't want to go from A to B in the quickest time just to get there. Thats why I'm after advice on some good roads to ride and things to see along the way. The route I have atm is 1435 miles. If there is nothing to see and do along the way and I should only need 3 or 4 days to ride, we'll stick around Vegas for a couple more days and do some riding around there.
Also once back in Vegas I'm hiring a car to drive Death Valley to San Fran down the coast to Mexico then to LA before flying home. Want to see as much as I can but don't want to spend all my time on the road without seeing anything.

Old 11-02-2018, 02:28 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,987 Likes on 17,898 Posts

Originally Posted by touchdown
Hell its only about 1000 miles. Why all the stopping
Why not all the stopping? Not everyone's into a ***** out big *** hurry to get there, rally isn't going anywhere and it's boring after day 2. There's god's own riding country between where he starts and Sturgis if you take the time to enjoy it.

OP why the eastern route ? Nebraska is boring as f**k on a good day not to mention the suck central plains weather. Look into a more westerly route and stay in the mountains, Tetons, Yellowstone, maybe Glacier then into Sturgis and take your route home, better bike country and can't beat the scenery

Old 11-02-2018, 02:45 PM
Campbell
6th Gear

Sensational. Thanx TwiZted Biker. This is the sort of advice I need. Want to do the bit of Route 66 after Kingman and the Grand Canyon, but a bit lost after that. Will definatly look at Yellowstone etc. Want some good riding and scenery instead of long straight highways. Cheers.

Old 11-02-2018, 04:52 PM
PoiDog
Tourer
Received 47 Likes on 47 Posts

For your "outbound" leg, Vegas to Rapid City, here's the way I'd do it...

Day 1 - Your route out of Vegas to the Grand Canyon, but overnight in Tusayan instead of Williams. The entrance gate to the park is just a stones-throw. Seat-time is right around 4-1/2 hours from Vegas.

Day 2 - Try to make it to Cortez, CO instead of overnighting in Kayenta. I think the days are long (daylight) enough that you'll still get to see quite a bit of Monument Valley. You can't ride down INTO the valley floor anyway (MC's are restricted) but you should get to see a lot of the mesas and formations nonetheless. After Monument Valley area, head back south to 160 and turn east. This will take you through 4-Corners on your way to Cortez. Of course you can plan on Kayenta if you want to spend the majority of your day in Monument Valley. For me at least, the novelty of 4-Corners is a draw... might not be for you though. About 5-1/2 hours seat time, but the scenery is well worth it.

Day 3 - Cortez to Grand Junction. I'd head east (160) to Durango and take the forest route north (550) through Montrose to Grand Junction.

The rest of your route, Grand Junction to Steamboat Springs to Cheyenne to Rapid City... I think I'd do it the same way.

Remember, much of northern Arizona is "dry"... I learned that in Kayenta a few years ago. You can get a beer (or 6...) in the National Park.

What are your plans on the return... Rapid City/Sturgis to Las Vegas?

Last edited by PoiDog; 11-02-2018 at 07:16 PM.
Old 11-02-2018, 07:24 PM
user 7172984932
Banned
Received 18,021 Likes on 9,230 Posts

Day 1 Williams is a good stop over. Many new hotels to choose from. We stayed at La Quinta Inn recently. Downtown Route 66 is a must. Grand Canyon visitor centers are great. But trip east towards Cameron has the best observation post that are not accessible with the shuttles. You will want to pull into many if them.
Lodging at Kayenta Az is very limited. Hampton Inn is only decent hotel. Probably already book up. Recommend going past Kayenta into Monumemt Valley, Mexican Hat to Bluff UT on day 2. Goose Necks side trip.
Day2 you should go through 4 Corners, Cortez, CO and visit Mesa Verde Indian Cliff Dwellings. Spend night in Durango, CO. Durango will be busy. Make hotel reservation early,
Day 3 Million Dollar Highway is a must. Stopping in Silverton and Ouray the Little Switzerland of America. Continue on to Montrose. Then go through Grand Mesa and spend night in Rifle CO on Interstate 70.
Day 4 instead of going directly north to Steamboat go east on I-70 through Glenwood Springs. There is a Harley dealership just of I-70. Make it into Vail for a stop. Then up to Steamboat.
Here are some screen shots of the route.

Day 1

Day 3

Day 4

Day 2

Old 11-02-2018, 09:28 PM
Campbell
6th Gear

Cheers guys. Some great info for me to look at. Always wanted to go to Vail to ski but would be great to ride through it. 4 corners seems a must. I can start planning a definate route and get some accom booked.
Thanx for all the info and maps.

Quick Reply: Vegas to Sturgis