Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Eagle Rider Guided Motorcycle Tours - Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 02:00 PM
305 Rider
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Question Eagle Rider Guided Motorcycle Tours - Thoughts?

Hi All,
I'm interested in flying out west to rent and ride around the national parks. I have come across the following package offered by Eagle Rider:
"Route 66 – 8 Day Motorcycle Tour"
*Also seems to be called "Wild West I Motorcycle Tour"

For me and my wife this particular trip sounds ideal; she wants to go to Las Vegas and I want to ride with her around before that.
But it does seem pricey.

For those who have done this or a similar Eagle Rider Guided Tour:
- Did you find it worth the value?
- Were there any gotchas (upsells/upcharges once you got there)
- Overall were you satisfied with the tour?

Thank you for any input/advice you can provide!

Old 09-25-2018, 02:50 PM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

[QUOTE=MyBlackHeart;17709020]Hi All,
I'm interested in flying out west to rent and ride around the national parks. I have come across the following package offered by Eagle Rider:
"Route 66 – 8 Day Motorcycle Tour"
*Also seems to be called "Wild West I Motorcycle Tour"

For me and my wife this particular trip sounds ideal; she wants to go to Las Vegas and I want to ride with her around before that.
But it does seem pricey.

For those who have done this or a similar Eagle Rider Guided Tour:
- Did you find it worth the value?
- Were there any gotchas (upsells/upcharges once you got there)
- Overall were you satisfied with the tour?

Thank you for any input/advice you can provide!
[/QUOT

I think the prices are way out of line, but that's just me. I do a lot of long distance trips solo. I take about 2~3 months planning EVERYTHING. A couple years ago I took my dealers Route 66 trip. 8 days = $1895 single. Now it's $2150 but that's the whole trip - from Chicago Navy Pier to Santa Monica Pier. Yes it was perfect, but as you said - a little pricey. dealer wanted $200 extra for gas, but I opted out since I figured it would only cost about $100 plus I didn't have t wait in line. I just went to the other station and filled up.
If you have the money and don't want all the hassel of planning the trip, and don't care that it's not the whole route, then I would say it's worth it. It's still not THE Route 66 route. Bring a cooling vest. Good luck

I noticed it's really not a Route 66 trip, but more of a Wild West type trip. So maybe it's just what you're looking for. still seems a bit much. Does it include all meals and gas?

Last edited by GARY DYER; 09-25-2018 at 02:57 PM.
Old 09-25-2018, 03:07 PM
giacomo56
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts

You can do most of the best parks from Las Vegas....although renting a bike gets to be expensive...unless you want company you can do it all by yourself and have plenty of time...

The following users liked this post:
305 Rider (09-25-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 03:11 PM
305 Rider
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I think the prices are way out of line, but that's just me. I do a lot of long distance trips solo. I take about 2~3 months planning EVERYTHING. A couple years ago I took my dealers Route 66 trip. 8 days = $1895 single. Now it's $2150 but that's the whole trip - from Chicago Navy Pier to Santa Monica Pier. Yes it was perfect, but as you said - a little pricey. dealer wanted $200 extra for gas, but I opted out since I figured it would only cost about $100 plus I didn't have t wait in line. I just went to the other station and filled up.
If you have the money and don't want all the hassel of planning the trip, and don't care that it's not the whole route, then I would say it's worth it. It's still not THE Route 66 route. Bring a cooling vest. Good luck

I noticed it's really not a Route 66 trip, but more of a Wild West type trip. So maybe it's just what you're looking for. still seems a bit much. Does it include all meals and gas?
Thanks for the info!
I have been riding for almost 6 years now, but all in Florida, so I am accustomed to flat, straight roads. Planning my own trip in an unknown area with roads I have no idea will be like does feel a bit intimidating, especially since I'll be riding with the wife.

According to the site, all gas is included and as far as meals, only breakfasts are included.

Old 09-25-2018, 04:25 PM
giacomo56
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by MyBlackHeart
Thanks for the info!
I have been riding for almost 6 years now, but all in Florida, so I am accustomed to flat, straight roads. Planning my own trip in an unknown area with roads I have no idea will be like does feel a bit intimidating, especially since I'll be riding with the wife.

According to the site, all gas is included and as far as meals, only breakfasts are included.
If you are from Miami...i'm in Ft Myers and have done those roads.....everything is flat and straight, but sceneries is beautiful.

2 hotel room in Sedona ,AZ
1 hotal room in Flagstaff AZ
1 hotel room in Page AZ
1 hotel room in Kanab UT
1 hotel room in Hurricane UT
1 hotel room in Mesquite NV
back to Las Vegas.

as far as getting lost there's no way since there are NOT that many roads available to get lost.....hours on the saddle are few,but memories are many.....
FYI...Best Western best hotel for motorcycle folks, you might even meet people that you can travel together.
have cash/credit card and travel safe.....that part of America is unforgettable.

Old 09-25-2018, 04:31 PM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by giacomo56

If you are from Miami...i'm in Ft Myers and have done those roads.....everything is flat and straight, but sceneries is beautiful.

2 hotel room in Sedona ,AZ
1 hotal room in Flagstaff AZ
1 hotel room in Page AZ
1 hotel room in Kanab UT
1 hotel room in Hurricane UT
1 hotel room in Mesquite NV
back to Las Vegas.

as far as getting lost there's no way since there are NOT that many roads available to get lost.....hours on the saddle are few,but memories are many.....
FYI...Best Western best hotel for motorcycle folks, you might even meet people that you can travel together.
have cash/credit card and travel safe.....that part of America is unforgettable.
I use Google Earth 100% to see what the roads are like. I do the Harley ABC's of Touring contest every year and Google Earth is invaluable. I like the southeastern states myself. But you do have to go west at least once in your life. LOL

The following users liked this post:
Eggman1 (04-22-2019)
Old 09-25-2018, 04:34 PM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,289 Likes on 848 Posts

Missing something in this image.....$2940 per person? or for '2 people' as it lists in row 1?
-

Old 09-25-2018, 04:44 PM
AtticusFinch
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

I hope you get the responses you were asking for . . . from people who have actually done one of these tours. I too would be interested to see their responses.

It's not something I would pay that much for because I am comfortable touring without a guide, and you end up paying quite a bit for that guide service. Let's break down what they're charging you for:
  1. Motorcycle Rental: $1192/person
    • Is your wife going to ride her own bike?
    • Your cost to pick up an Electra Glide from Eagle Rider in Los Angeles and drop it off in Las Vegas 6 days later is $1375. This includes a fee for dropping off in a different location than where you picked it up. If you skip LA so that you start and end your ride in the same location, you save a couple hundred. Or you could ride one more day back to LA (since your flight is probably cheaper if you book a round trip anyway) you'll still save money.
  2. Bike model guarantee: $144/person
    • I'm gonna guess that if you rent an Electra Glide you're gonna get an Electra Glide, with or without an extra $144 for the "guarantee"
    • But . . . they do offer such a guarantee to their renters. They only charge $65 for it though.
  3. Grand Canyon Helicopter Tour $199/person
    • this is probably about right, depending on what they're offering
  4. Fuel: $152/person
    • This a bit high, even if you're both on your own bikes. If you only get 30 mpg, you'll use about 33 gallons on a 1000 mile ride. It will cost you less than $130.
    • If you're two-up, you're not paying double the gas.
  5. Hotels: $1584/person
    • You'll spend about $1000 if you book them yourself.
    • This can be kinda time consuming and maybe scary if you're not familiar with the area.
    • You'll be fine, though.
  6. Riding Jacket: $249/person
    • Are they selling you a jacket? Because for this "price" you'd better get to keep it. I'm guessing you and your wife already have one. If not, buy your own.
    • Or rent one from Eagle Rider. They charge $10/day.
  7. Breakfast on Riding Day: $176/person
    • Wanna bet this is included in the price of the hotels?
  8. Hosted Welcome Dinner: $65/person
    • Really?
  9. Half shell helmet: $80/person
    • Actually, it's included in the rental fee.
  10. Farewell party: $85/person
    • evidently it's $20/person better than the welcome party.
  11. Support vehicle & driver: $2000/person
    • I'm not denying that it would be handy to have a support vehicle. But on a ride where your longest days are 250 miles, you'll be fine without it.
    • The real question here is how heavy do you want to pack. If you want basically unlimited luggage capacity, this will be really nice. Otherwise, your bike can easily carry what you need, and that's part of motorcycle touring.
  12. Road Book: $85/person
    • I have a hard time thinking this is worth $85
  13. National park pass: $75/person
    • One pass will cover you and your wife, even if you're on two bikes.
  14. Hotel parking fees: $105/person
    • Um . . . hotels in Vegas don't charge parking fees to guests.
    • Neither do any of the places you'll stay during the ride.
  15. Sales tax and fees: $464/person
    • The figures above should include taxes and fees. The rental price I quoted includes taxes and fees, so does the hotel estimate.
  16. Transportation to Eagle Rider location

So, if you do it on your own and pick up and drop off in Vegas, you're looking at paying under $3,000 for the two of you (assuming you ride two up and including the Grand Canyon helicopter ride). They're going to charge you that PER PERSON for their tour package. Their service is definitely worth something. Only you can decide if it's worth $3000.

Old 09-25-2018, 04:46 PM
AtticusFinch
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by F150HD
Missing something in this image.....$2940 per person? or for '2 people' as it lists in row 1?
-

Row 1 is two people, 1 bike, 1 room
Row 2 is two people, 2 bikes, 1 room
Row 3 is 1 person, 1 bike, 1 room

Old 09-25-2018, 04:47 PM
giacomo56
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by F150HD
-

For $6000.... I will be your tour guide and I will include lunch, I can make some money and go back and see the sights...
do you prefer a RK or SGS ????

seriously this is an easy route to figure out and do.....be adventurous. Oh rent the bike from LV HD, real nice folks...

Quick Reply: Eagle Rider Guided Motorcycle Tours - Thoughts?