Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Oakland/Eastbay to San Antonio Weather?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 08:26 AM
MajorKG
Stellar HDF Member

Received 615 Likes on 421 Posts
Default Oakland/Eastbay to San Antonio Weather?

I will be picking up my bike at Livermore Harley-Davidson some time near the end of the month (thinking the 28th). I will be riding it back to SA to our new to us home here, I am considering routes and I am looking at coming over HWY 120 to 95 into Las Vegas, then basically HWY 40 into Texas and the south to SA. Can some of you more travelled riders familiar with the area and time of year give me some insight as what to expect weather wise? I have done a very similar rout in July, and it was blazingly hot.

Thanks in advance! Ken

Old 09-16-2018, 02:33 PM
AbqDave
Tourer
Received 186 Likes on 97 Posts

I like the initial portion of your route, 120 through Yosemite is amazing. The road is open and in good condition, it'll cost ya 10 bucks to go through the national park.

Getting out of the bay area is always a pain in the gonads. There's a back way down Mines Road to 130, it's a great ride but it takes you out of your way and you still have to make the run across the central valley, which is gross at best. There's an argument for getting it over with. RIght now expect 90's in the central valley during the day. About two weeks ago the approach to Yosemite was chilly, low 60's I guess early in the morning but it should be sunny and 70's over the pass during the day. Hate to jinx you but it's been really dry, typically not a cloud in the sky.

I'm assuming you'll cross 395 and stay on 120 to 6, that's excellent. The Mizpah hotel in Tonopah is a cool place to stay -- home of the haunted hooker, I kid you not -- and sets you up for an early morning run down to Vegas. Dunno what the desert is looking like, I'll have to pass that on, but I imagine morning might be the call....

There's a loop of old 66 north of Kingman which is not to be missed. I think that run from Kingman all the way to Flagstaff is outstanding notwithstanding the freeway portion, which isn't too irritating until sunset when the truckers are really out in force. Even east of Flag, you get great views over the painted desert from the freeway. Meteor Crater is worth a stop once in your life.

I know you have to drop down to the 10 eventually but there are some nice rides between 40 and 10. I'd drop down to Springerville; if you want to see desert, take the 40. If you want to see mountains, 260 is a fine ride, technical in places. From Springerville, take 60 across New Mexico. I've always loved that ride, first part is through the Datil mountains and then you go across the plain of st augustine where the VLA radiotelescope is, you can see forever and New Mexico weather this time of year is great, upper 50's/low 60's in the mornings, 80 in the afternoons. Don't forget to stop in Pie Town (like anybody could ride past a town named that). Likewise the sky should be clear and forever.

From Socorro I'd consider taking 380 down to Roswell, the first part is open desert, goes past the Trinity site for what it's worth. Consider a detour through Ruidoso, which is way up in the mountains and very pretty. Once you get to Roswell you're basically in Texas, and I mean that as a hearty compliment. Ruidoso is kind of the Switzerland of Texas anyway, you should feel right at home.

If you take that northern route, you basically have to layer like crazy. You shouldn't need insulated gloves but you'll want a solid base layer and good wind protection first few hours of the morning, especially if you're an early riser. Personally I would bring my heated vest, coulda used it coming into Yosemite at 7am couple of weeks ago. That's kinda how this ride is, you can go from 60 in the mountains to 95 in the desert, gotta be ready for anything.

You're taking off on a truly epic ride, these are some of my favorite roads of all time.

Last edited by AbqDave; 09-16-2018 at 02:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MajorKG (09-16-2018)
Old 09-16-2018, 10:21 PM
MajorKG
Stellar HDF Member

Received 615 Likes on 421 Posts

Originally Posted by AbqDave
I like the initial portion of your route, 120 through Yosemite is amazing. The road is open and in good condition, it'll cost ya 10 bucks to go through the national park.

Getting out of the bay area is always a pain in the gonads. There's a back way down Mines Road to 130, it's a great ride but it takes you out of your way and you still have to make the run across the central valley, which is gross at best. There's an argument for getting it over with. RIght now expect 90's in the central valley during the day. About two weeks ago the approach to Yosemite was chilly, low 60's I guess early in the morning but it should be sunny and 70's over the pass during the day. Hate to jinx you but it's been really dry, typically not a cloud in the sky.

I'm assuming you'll cross 395 and stay on 120 to 6, that's excellent. The Mizpah hotel in Tonopah is a cool place to stay -- home of the haunted hooker, I kid you not -- and sets you up for an early morning run down to Vegas. Dunno what the desert is looking like, I'll have to pass that on, but I imagine morning might be the call....

There's a loop of old 66 north of Kingman which is not to be missed. I think that run from Kingman all the way to Flagstaff is outstanding notwithstanding the freeway portion, which isn't too irritating until sunset when the truckers are really out in force. Even east of Flag, you get great views over the painted desert from the freeway. Meteor Crater is worth a stop once in your life.

I know you have to drop down to the 10 eventually but there are some nice rides between 40 and 10. I'd drop down to Springerville; if you want to see desert, take the 40. If you want to see mountains, 260 is a fine ride, technical in places. From Springerville, take 60 across New Mexico. I've always loved that ride, first part is through the Datil mountains and then you go across the plain of st augustine where the VLA radiotelescope is, you can see forever and New Mexico weather this time of year is great, upper 50's/low 60's in the mornings, 80 in the afternoons. Don't forget to stop in Pie Town (like anybody could ride past a town named that). Likewise the sky should be clear and forever.

From Socorro I'd consider taking 380 down to Roswell, the first part is open desert, goes past the Trinity site for what it's worth. Consider a detour through Ruidoso, which is way up in the mountains and very pretty. Once you get to Roswell you're basically in Texas, and I mean that as a hearty compliment. Ruidoso is kind of the Switzerland of Texas anyway, you should feel right at home.

If you take that northern route, you basically have to layer like crazy. You shouldn't need insulated gloves but you'll want a solid base layer and good wind protection first few hours of the morning, especially if you're an early riser. Personally I would bring my heated vest, coulda used it coming into Yosemite at 7am couple of weeks ago. That's kinda how this ride is, you can go from 60 in the mountains to 95 in the desert, gotta be ready for anything.

You're taking off on a truly epic ride, these are some of my favorite roads of all time.
Thank you, some good advice here!!