Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

WI-WA trip

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 08:56 AM
jklisemtp
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WI-WA trip

Taking a 10 trip to Washington State with a few couples in 2 weeks. Headed out and seeing the Badlands, Mt Rushmore, Spearfish Cayon, Devils Tower, Glacier National park and Yellow Stone.....Most of the group has never been west, but all ride lots of miles. Any advice or things we don't want to miss?

Old 07-02-2018, 09:26 PM
EggDropX
Advanced
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Try to to hit Big Horn in Wyoming, it’s awesome. Avoid Thunder Basin grasslands. It’s like 3 hours of a grassland, even less interesting than it sounds. Bonneville Salt Flats is also amazing. But then you have to get the salt off afterwards, which is not easy.
I ride from Minn to Nevada every year with lots of sidetracking (5-12 days one way) PM me if you want some of my routes or sites.

Old 07-11-2018, 12:00 AM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,289 Likes on 848 Posts

Originally Posted by jklisemtp
Taking a 10 trip to Washington State with a few couples in 2 weeks. Headed out and seeing the Badlands, Mt Rushmore, Spearfish Cayon, Devils Tower, Glacier National park and Yellow Stone.....Most of the group has never been west, but all ride lots of miles. Any advice or things we don't want to miss?
10 trip... you mean 10 days? or am I misunderstanding?

Old 07-11-2018, 11:02 AM
b_ilse
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rode there a few times from SW MN to visit friends out there. Motor through MN and 90% of SD. It really only gets nice once you're past Rapid City. Bighorns is pretty cool. Camped out there a couple times on my way through. Not sure on your plan into Yellowstone but Beartooth pass is amazing! Yellowstone is at least a full day; I only spend one day there. I've tried three different times to ride Going to the Sun road but wildfires stopped me every time. Stop in Apgar, just on the edge of Lake McDonald. Beautiful views there! From there, I usually ran US-2 all the way to Grand Coulee damn, pretty cool thing to stop and check out. You should really consider riding WA-20 starting around Twisp, WA through the North Cascades. Awesome riding there! Winthrop is a pretty cool little town. Diablo Lake is pretty neat and there's a dam there as well. Good little joint in Concrete called Cascade Burgers. From there motor into Burlington and you're back with a bunch of options again! The last time I went through there, I stayed on WA-20 and road all the way down to Clinton then caught a short ferry to Mukilteo. US-101 to Port Angeles is a nice ride. The ride to Neah Bay and on to Cape Flattery is well worth it! Probably one of my favorites; smell the freshly milled timber. Long Beach is always a good time. The ride around Mt Rainier is a typical ride through trees but still beautiful scenic one with some photo ops.

Old 07-12-2018, 02:12 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Check your map...after Devils Tower consider slabbing it to Ranchester, WY and take Alt 14 over the Bighorn Mountains. Terrific road your crew will like. Stay on Alt 14 and at Lovell turn right on US 310 to Bridger, Mont., then cut south to Belfry and overnight in Red Lodge, Mont. Cool town and staging area for Beartooth Highway riders. In the morning you’re set to ride Beartooth Hwy. east to west. You’ll see on your map the T-intersection where you can turn left and ride the Chief Joseph Highway south to Cody. Another fine road. Or of course, you can go straight ahead to Cooke City, Mont. and enter YNP that way. If you decide on the overnight in Red Lodge reservations are needed whenever you can commit.The Alpine Lodge is a great choice as is The Yodeler and Red Lodge Inn. Those guys who haven’t been in the West much are in for a big time.