Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

What to see in West Virginia

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 07:08 PM
username not valid
Cruiser
Received 98 Likes on 43 Posts
Default What to see in West Virginia

I'm planning a trip through West Virginia on June 7. This is my route: Morgantown, Marlinton, Princeton, Delbarton, Huntington, Point Pleasant, Charleston, Beckley, Summersville, Parkersburg, Clarksburg, New Martinsville and Wheeling. I would appreciate any info on cool places to visit along the way. Thanks in advance for any input.

Old 05-23-2018, 08:46 PM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 264 Likes on 131 Posts

I discovered WV a few years ago, and ride there from upstate PA a couple times a year. Great riding down there. Beautiful scenery, things to do, and not a straight road in the whole state! Not real familiar with some towns you mentioned, but here are some things I've done & seen. You can Google Map them, and see if they're along your way.
-- Trans Alleghany Lunatic Asylum in Weston. Right off 79, not far south of Morgantown.
-- Seneca Rocks. Out 33 East from Weston.
-- Spruce ****. Highest point in WV with a lookout tower up there. Near Seneca Rocks.
-- New River Gorge Bridge. Near Beckley. Nice visitors ctr there for great views & photo ops.
-- Blackwater Falls State Park.
-- Cass Scenic Train ride. Very cool, but a 5 hour round trip. I think there might be a shorter ride too.
I know there are WV guys on here that'll probably chime in eventually. You'll have a blast in WV, and the roads are all in great shape too. Just pick a real squiggly line on the map, and it'll be a wonderful ride! Have fun.

Old 05-23-2018, 09:59 PM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,305 Likes on 1,344 Posts

I love West Virginia. At the New River Gorge, one can take the road down to the bottom and up the other side. Challenging ride due to the slow hairpin curves.

Old 05-23-2018, 10:20 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 363 Posts

Tag! VA and W Va are a possibility for me sometime this year.

Old 05-23-2018, 10:21 PM
username not valid
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Geezr Glidr
I discovered WV a few years ago, and ride there from upstate PA a couple times a year. Great riding down there. Beautiful scenery, things to do, and not a straight road in the whole state! Not real familiar with some towns you mentioned, but here are some things I've done & seen. You can Google Map them, and see if they're along your way.
-- Trans Alleghany Lunatic Asylum in Weston. Right off 79, not far south of Morgantown.
-- Seneca Rocks. Out 33 East from Weston.
-- Spruce ****. Highest point in WV with a lookout tower up there. Near Seneca Rocks.
-- New River Gorge Bridge. Near Beckley. Nice visitors ctr there for great views & photo ops.
-- Blackwater Falls State Park.
-- Cass Scenic Train ride. Very cool, but a 5 hour round trip. I think there might be a shorter ride too.
I know there are WV guys on here that'll probably chime in eventually. You'll have a blast in WV, and the roads are all in great shape too. Just pick a real squiggly line on the map, and it'll be a wonderful ride! Have fun.
Thank you, I'll check these all out.

Old 05-23-2018, 10:27 PM
username not valid
Cruiser

Originally Posted by jmorganroadglide
I love West Virginia. At the New River Gorge, one can take the road down to the bottom and up the other side. Challenging ride due to the slow hairpin curves.
I found it on google maps. Thanks I'll check it out between Beckley and Summersville.

Old 05-24-2018, 06:14 AM
harleybob815
Supporter
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

great choice. seneca rock, blackwater falls and yes, awesome roads. be sure to stop at the mom n pop type places to eat. we did this and had a great ride.

Old 05-24-2018, 06:18 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,856 Likes on 19,336 Posts

You should make time to raft the New River ... it's a blast. Go out of Glen Jean

Old 05-24-2018, 01:08 PM
username not valid
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
You should make time to raft the New River ... it's a blast. Go out of Glen Jean
There seems to be a lot to do between Beckley and Summersville.

The following users liked this post:
Uncle Larry (06-03-2018)
Old 05-27-2018, 08:09 PM
tonymontanna1983
Tourer
Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Go tour Moundsville Penitentiary, one of the most haunted places in the country. You will never forget it

Quick Reply: What to see in West Virginia