Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

San Fran to Seattle via Route 1

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 08:34 AM
mcouture
Road Master
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
Default San Fran to Seattle via Route 1

Shipping our bikes to SFO and heading up to Seattle before heading back east(home). Planning on 3 days before we need to start east.

Not sure how far/long we should be planning for on the PCH north of SFO. I know it's slow road south of SFO.

We usually ride 5-6 hours or up to 300 mile days when on "vacation mode"....

So, thinking Fort Bragg as night 1....Google says it's only 190 miles but 5 hours - is the time true?
Then day 2, hit the redwoods etc and night 2.....?hmm....

Old 05-16-2018, 11:58 AM
deadhawg
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 1,802 Likes on 690 Posts

5 hours from SF to Fort Bragg could probably be done, but that is minimum actual riding time, not counting any time for stops to enjoy the many spectacular views and things to see along the way. I've done that ride many times, and it's worth planning on a full day to cover those 190 miles.
And, it depends on exactly where you are starting from. If you are actually starting from SFO, the airport area, it will take at least an hour in traffic to get to the Golden Gate Bridge and out of San Francisco itself.
It's a great ride, enjoy!.

Old 05-17-2018, 06:54 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,760 Likes on 3,117 Posts

Yes, the traveling along HWY 1 isn't very fast. Plan on it taking more time than droning on a freeway. From the East coast, I'd ship the bikes to Ventura, THEN ride North. There's a lot to experience between Ventura and San Fran.

Old 05-17-2018, 07:38 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member
Received 329 Likes on 224 Posts

You will more than likely hit the coast at Bodega Bay and then north, like said it is slow going because of traffic but Fort bragg is very doable in one day. After you leave Bragg you will leave the coast and go into a forest and very twisty road for about 25 miles and hit the 101 in Leggett make sure you take the Avenue of the Giants through the Redwoods. When you get to Eureka take the little side trip over the bridge to Somoa Island and have lunch at the Somoa Cookhouse awesome place and food served family style.

Old 05-17-2018, 11:03 AM
mcouture
Road Master
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

We are starting out at SFO (the old Dudley Perkins dealership) -

The plan is to head up to Seattle then eventually to Jackson Hole, WY by day 6 to meet up with the rest of the group to finish our ride home.

From Fort Bragg do you think we can make it to the Oregon line the following day (and stay on route 1)? Then day 3 I'm hoping for WA and then turning east....

Thanks for the tips!

Old 05-17-2018, 11:20 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 31,010 Likes on 11,636 Posts

The PCH route from SF to Seattle is beautiful. We did most of that leg last August when friends shipped their bikes to DP in SF. We did a lot more touring for about 2 weeks. But, if you stay on PCH the whole way it will be very hard to do it in 3 days. It is very slow going, especially in Oregon. It is about 850 miles, and including gas stops and food stops, I’d figure about 30mph average.

There are are a lot of other cool places to see that aren’t on the PCH...but if you really want to stay on the PCH I’d figure 5 days.

FWIW we stayed in Ft. Bragg at the North Cliff Hotel...it was a nice place with great views from each room. The rooms all have ocean view and harbor view of the harbor that was “Elk Snout” in the movie “Overboard”

Last edited by TriGeezer; 05-17-2018 at 11:23 AM.
Old 05-18-2018, 12:07 AM
DBlass
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

PCH ends in Leggitt when it hits US101 below the Redwoods and Eureka CA. From there you are on on US101 in Oregon. From north of Eureka, you hug the coast all the way up Oregon. The weather can change at anytime and become cold and foggy (mid-50s even in the summer). Once you get to Astoria, US101 becomes indirect and does not hug the coast. In fact, it is almost impossible ride up the WA coast qnd actually see it. I would recommend heading up I-5 and expect not to see anything to Seatle. A side trip to Mt St. Helens is worth it but it requires backtracking. In my opinion, the best way east out of Seattle is WA2, North Cascade Hiway. It hooks up with US 2 in Sandpoint ID, which goes all the way east.

Old 05-18-2018, 12:31 AM
Solospec
Cruiser
Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

I know it is inland from where you are going but if there is any chance to see Crater Lake I highly recommend it.

Phil

Old 05-18-2018, 07:33 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member
Received 329 Likes on 224 Posts

Actually you leave the coast between Bandon Or and Coos Bay but the ride is beautiful.

Old 05-19-2018, 02:59 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 21,810 Likes on 9,584 Posts

3 days from SF to Astoria is one day short.

SF to Fort Bragg is good for one day.... Fort Bragg to Crescent City is good .... but one Day for the Oregon Coast is pretty tight. Lots of places to stop, and a bunch of slow traffic and road.

Crescent City to The Dunes (Florence) is a good ride, then the Dunes to Astoria.

But if your time pressed, Crescent City to Lincoln City is doable, but a long day, and not a lot of off bike time. Lincoln City North is a great ride but not as much Ocean time as the Southern part.

In Fort Bragg I highly recommend The Surf Motel and Gardens. One of the best Mom & Pops anywhere.

Quick Reply: San Fran to Seattle via Route 1