Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

summer Trip out East

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2018 | 10:10 PM
bulwyeth
Cruiser

I’d say pretty ambitious.

My two cents...depending on the weekend and what’s going on, the BRP and Skyline drive can get real crowded and you’ll be going slower than 45mph. Lots of blind curves with hidden pull offs/ons, wildlife and the usual stupid cagers. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a nice ride, but not the kind you want to be in a hurry on, or have a schedule.

Good luck.

Old 04-05-2018 | 06:49 AM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member

Agree with most of the comments. I'm sure the OP wants to ride the Dragon if he hasn't done it before, but the Cherohala is a better road and at least on a par with the southern BRP. Moonshiner 28 is also a great road in that region. Speaking of the BRP, the stretch in NC north of Asheville has some spectacular views, better than most of the rest of the BRP in my opinion. Further north is OK, but not as spectacular. Skyline Drive is better than the northern stretch of the BRP since it runs the ridge and has great overlooks all along. While several have commented that the BRP is 45 mph, I didn't see anyone mention that Skyline is 35 and there is more enforcement on Skyline than there is on the BRP. Skyline is also a national park and unless you have a season or lifetime pass, you'll pay a fee to use it.

Skyline does have more traffic than the BRP, especially in the northernmost third between Thornton Gap and Front Royal (which draws alot of DC metro area folks). Unless you're there during foliage season (which you won't be) it isn't stop-and-go heavy, but it will likely keep you at or near the 35 mph limit.

As far as New England is concerned, you didn't say when in the "summer" you are going. Anyone that has gone to the Laconia rally in June will tell you that it is still very rainy at that time of year. When I was there into the 3rd week of June a few years ago it rained ALOT...every day.

There are great roads in the Green Mountains and White Mountains of Vermont and NH, but not better than the Smokies in my opinion. Unless you just want to collect states you've ridden in (in which case New England gives you six with very few miles), I'd skip New England and stay in the Smokies and the Blue Ridge. West Virginia is one of my favorite riding states. There's hardly a straightaway in the whole state. If you are in SW VA, the Back of the Dragon between Marion and Tazewell is a great technical ride.

Whatever you decide, have fun!

Last edited by TKDKurt; 04-05-2018 at 06:50 AM.
Old 04-05-2018 | 08:01 AM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by TKDKurt

There are great roads in the Green Mountains and White Mountains of Vermont and NH, but not better than the Smokies in my opinion. Unless you just want to collect states you've ridden in (in which case New England gives you six with very few miles), I'd skip New England!
concur, I removed similar language from my original post to not rain on parade. I did the New England region in 2016 including Acadia....though the riding wasn't awful I found riding up the coast crowded (lots of people) and Maine wasn't anything spectacular. Acadia and Mt Cadillac was ok but for the mileage to get there....doubt I'll ever go again.

The Kancamagus Highway is a cool road to ride in NH....as is Hwy 100 in VT. Though nearly the entire time in NH it was (as you stated) wet.

Of all my trips I felt that one required nearly the most work to get there and the least amount of payoff in terms of ohhhhs and ahhhhs....unlike the Smokys or a Colorado trip where you're breath is swept away by nature and an incredible road.

Anyway, one can't go wrong in the Smokys. Similar for West Virginia.

I went to the Appomattox Courthouse years back on a trip.....one could put together a good historical ride if they're into the Civil War and the like.

Last edited by F150HD; 04-05-2018 at 08:02 AM.
Old 04-05-2018 | 08:33 AM
CyGlide
|
Road Captain

This is exactly why I posted in here. I was worried I was going to be stretched. You guys have me pretty much convinced to stay in the south for the week. I'm going to be leaving home the week before 4th of July, so I'm hoping the weekend before the Holiday wont be as bad as the weekend after the Holiday. I'm going to try and ride The dragon on Thursday afternoon because I assume friday-Sunday will be packed.

I'm thinking I will stay at KickStand Lodge for Thursday and Friday night. Ride Cherohala on Friday, and then other good roads (open for suggestions) Saturday and Sunday. Then ride BRP on Monday north, stop at wheels through time, stay in Boone, NC on Monday night, then ride West Virginia Tuesday/Wednesday morning. Then head for home.

I really wish I didn't have to burn two days of this trip riding across Iowa, Illinois, Indiana. Maybe I can just set the cruise and take a nap for those long straights.

Old 04-05-2018 | 12:50 PM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by CyGlide
inia Tuesday/Wednesday morning. Then head for home.

I really wish I didn't have to burn two days of this trip riding across Iowa, Illinois, Indiana. Maybe I can just set the cruise and take a nap for those long straights.
LOL. My parents came from Iowa and Nebraska respectively, so I may be able to get away with saying this (and you raised it), but I couldn't agree more. I'd love to ride in the Rockies but that's Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Missouri/Iowa and Nebraska/Kansas (depending on if you choose I-70 or I-80) and 3 long days (@ 600 miles a day) across those states. I did that trip so many times as a kid to visit my grandparents (actually before there were interstates--I'm an old fart) that I'm not that excited about doing it on a bike. That being said, I will get out there someday when I have time to spend doing it.

All I can tell you from my perspective in riding the Appalachians (including the Blue Ridge and the Smokies) from NH to GA, I don't think you'll go home disappointed!

Old 04-05-2018 | 07:14 PM
Rocker NH
Grand HDF Member

We have great rides here in New England,but I,d still take Nc/Tn/Ga area any day. Many roads here mirror some in those areas but that area is really geared to tourist ( especially Bikers) .You need to make 2 different trips IMO

Old 04-05-2018 | 07:22 PM
giacomo56
Road Warrior

Good idea to keep to the TN area, you will have a wonderful time......but why are you going through Indiana....your route should be...iowa....st Louis.....TN.......indiana is nowhere near where you are going.

Old 04-06-2018 | 01:13 PM
CyGlide
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by giacomo56
Good idea to keep to the TN area, you will have a wonderful time......but why are you going through Indiana....your route should be...iowa....st Louis.....TN.......indiana is nowhere near where you are going.
The fastest route from Iowa to Deals gap is on I74 to Indianapolis, then south through louisville and knoxville. If I were to go through St louis and Nashville it's about 20 minutes longer, but I hate St louis so I want to avoid it. I also want the fastest route possible to get there. I'm gonna finish out in West Virginia now probably and the best route home from there is I70 to Indy then I74 across IL to I80.

Old 06-25-2018 | 09:45 AM
CyGlide
|
Road Captain

So I'm headed out on my trip tomorrow. I was able to add a work trip/customer visit on my way down, so I'm leaving two days earlier than planned, which gives me a full extra day in the smokies. (I'll be getting paid for the first 550 miles of my trip/ first day of the trip, which means I don't have to burn vaca time for travel time on the front half of the trip). Anyways, my updated plans are as follows:

Home base will be the Two Wheel Inn in Robinsville for Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday nights.

Thursday - Tail of the dragon and Moonshiner 28
Friday - Cherohala Skyway and down into Georgia
Saturday - Smokey Mountains National Park and north of Robbinsville, Wheels through time
Sunday - Not planned, planning to fill this day with rides I hopefully pick up from others/locals. otherwise I'll use the america rides maps I bought and find some good rides.
Monday - Head north out of Robbinsville and get on the BRP. I'm only going to ride the southern half of the BRP and am going to stay in Mount Airy, NC Monday night.
Tuesday - West Virginia/ a few of the devils den rides, ending in Huntington, WV.
Wednesday - Head out of huntington early for home. It'll be a 800 mile ride, so may stop and call it a day somewhere in Illinois and then finish our the trip home on Thursday. I have a wedding I have to be at Saturday, otherwise I would have extended the trip by 3 days.

Does anyone know about how long it'll take me to ride Cherohala? I'm having a hard time getting a good estimate on how long it'll take going east to west.

Also, any estimates for riding Cherokee, NC to Mount Airy, NC on the BRP?

Last edited by CyGlide; 06-25-2018 at 09:46 AM.
Old 06-27-2018 | 12:10 PM
CrBear
Grand HDF Member

Cherohala, From what I remember it was around 50+ miles.
nice ride! Watch oou for chipmunks jumping in your lap! Happened to me, I think we both peed a little..

Last edited by CrBear; 06-27-2018 at 01:12 PM.

Quick Reply: summer Trip out East