Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

HD Navigation Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 07:57 AM
Daytona Fat Boy
Road Warrior
Received 187 Likes on 151 Posts
Default HD Navigation Question

I'm planning a leisurely trip to TX and maybe the SW this spring. Can I plan the whole trip out on HD's Ride Planner as one trip? I've heard I have to plan a day at a time. If I don't, the navigation doesn't pick up where I may have ended my ride the previous day.....it goes back to the original starting point. Is this accurate? I'm trying to avoid sticking to a firm day by day plan. So if the HD Navigation unit works the way I understand it, its pretty useless to me for this trip. I'll just go back to stickies on the windshield. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 03-08-2018, 08:48 AM
dh_meyer
Road Captain
Received 92 Likes on 59 Posts

Its really more of a BOOM issue than a Ride Planner (or any other route-builder) issue .

In my experience, BOOM will not handle routes with more than 40-50 waypoints ......... and I assume your trip exceeds 40-50 waypoints. (Yeah, I know BOOM allows up to 99 waypoints, but that is not the case for me and a few others, too.)

I typically create a log route with too many way points intentionally, then I copy it into multiple copies and edit each of them . For example, I create a route the 100 way points, then copy into 4 routes. Then I edit each of them as follows so there is some overlap between them so I dont miss anything when I move to the next route:

route 1 - waypoints 1-25
route 2 - is 25 - 50 (note overlap at beginning)
route 3 - 51 - 75
route 4 - 75 - 100

Throughout your trip, you finish one route, then start the next. You also have to be careful - you cant load a ton of routes into BOOM at once - I typically have 20 routes on my USB stick and then import a few that I need soon, and delete stuff from BOOM that I've already ridden.

BOOM manages it if you stop at say waypoint 12 for the night and then resume at waypoint 13 the next day.

I've taken 14 day trips like this - it works as long as you work around some of the limitations I've described.

I would suggest playing around with some short, simple, local routes to get comfortable with this.

Hope this helps.

The following users liked this post:
Daytona Fat Boy (03-08-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 08:49 AM
Waterman1
Cruiser
Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytona Fat Boy
I'm planning a leisurely trip to TX and maybe the SW this spring. Can I plan the whole trip out on HD's Ride Planner as one trip? I've heard I have to plan a day at a time. If I don't, the navigation doesn't pick up where I may have ended my ride the previous day.....it goes back to the original starting point. Is this accurate? I'm trying to avoid sticking to a firm day by day plan. So if the HD Navigation unit works the way I understand it, its pretty useless to me for this trip. I'll just go back to stickies on the windshield. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
That is true but you can also skip to the next waypoint and keep doing that until you have where you want to go next. I set it up for each day and label it day 1, 2 and so forth.

Old 03-08-2018, 08:49 AM
dh_meyer
Road Captain
Received 92 Likes on 59 Posts

And keep in mind, you can skip waypoints or jump to the middle of a route if you want.

The following 2 users liked this post by dh_meyer:
Daytona Fat Boy (03-08-2018), RMcCord (03-08-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 09:24 AM
rossn2
Road Master
Received 131 Likes on 73 Posts

Yes you can.
The thing to remember is Start and Stops are considered 1 route. So figure where you want to stop at end of the day. You can have multiple waypoints in a route.

I traveled 4500 miles in Aug from Texas to Montana using HD ride planner. From south to north was one complete route, with multiple stops, and North to south route back was one route, if I'm making sense.
In the Boom GPS it will come up Day 1, Day 2 extra..

Even with way points the Boom GPS will try to take you it's own way. I honestly don't understand why we can't have a HD Ride Planner route button/selection or Custom Route on the GPS so it follows you route downloaded from a computer.

On long trips I also do the route on Google Maps and print out each day on a single 8x10 sheet I can put in my pocket or have on my tank (flat magnetic holder) to look at..

You can go on HD Ride Planner and look for Summer 2017 which was my route from Texas ..Some of it is off regarding Yellowstone, cause the dang thing thinks there's snow there.. lol
or if you PM me with an email I can send it to you...don't know why we cant copy the URL any more and post it..
Good luck..

Last edited by rossn2; 03-08-2018 at 09:35 AM.