Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Colorado Trip

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 06:13 PM
Porky11
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Colorado Trip

Ok, I don't post much but read a lot soooo let me ask a question of those in the know. We are trying to plan a two, maybe three day trip through northern Colorado starting in Cheyenne Wyoming and probably ending in
Cheyenne again. We would like to spend a little time in Baggs Wyoming as we have some distant relatives there (not much though). Would like to hear some suggestions and advice from those who have been or lived in the area. Nothing is already planned, just looking for ideas. Do's and don't's, also the time frame might be mid to late June if that is of any concern. Thanks for any and ALL suggestions!!

Old 01-30-2018, 08:18 PM
SanJuanRon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 95 Posts

I won't plan out your entire trip, but I would recommend Trail Ridge Road via Estes Park and Peak to Peak Highway. Ron

The following users liked this post:
Porky11 (01-31-2018)
Old 01-30-2018, 09:59 PM
Pass Rider
Road Captain
Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Just a few thoughts... I-80 west from Cheyenne is a real snore until you get to Rock Springs. There you can go south to Dinosaur National Park or a little more west to Flaming Gorge. Both areas are fantastic.

If you didn’t need to go to Baggs, I would go west to Laramie and take US 287 south to pick up Colorado 14 and then go west over Cameron Pass to Walden. Then south to Granby and pick up US 34 and go over Trail Ridge Road through Rocky Mountain National Park. When you get to Estes Park, you can pick up the Peak to Peak Highway south to I-70.

I ride that area a couple of times a year.

One hint, drink lots of water (high altitude can dehydrate you) and come prepared for any type of weather. I got caught in RMNP one July and had to ride through the snow,

Porky11 (01-31-2018)
Old 01-31-2018, 12:32 PM
Porky11
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pass Rider
Just a few thoughts... I-80 west from Cheyenne is a real snore until you get to Rock Springs. There you can go south to Dinosaur National Park or a little more west to Flaming Gorge. Both areas are fantastic.

If you didn’t need to go to Baggs, I would go west to Laramie and take US 287 south to pick up Colorado 14 and then go west over Cameron Pass to Walden. Then south to Granby and pick up US 34 and go over Trail Ridge Road through Rocky Mountain National Park. When you get to Estes Park, you can pick up the Peak to Peak Highway south to I-70.

I ride that area a couple of times a year.

One hint, drink lots of water (high altitude can dehydrate you) and come prepared for any type of weather. I got caught in RMNP one July and had to ride through the snow,

Thanks for the reply and a quick question about this kind of ride? Is it too early to think about this route in mid to late June??

Old 01-31-2018, 10:24 PM
SanJuanRon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 95 Posts

You should be fine in late-June. I have been up on Trail Ridge and Peak to Peak several times in late-June. The snowpack this year sucks throughout CO (25-50% of normal and dropping) -- so this shouldn't be a big snow impacted June. Ron

Old 02-01-2018, 07:28 AM
Pass Rider
Road Captain
Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

SJR is right. You should be fine. Just be prepared for large temperature swings and rapidly changing weather. The highest roads might be 20 to 30 degrees cooler than down on the plains. Normally temps drop about 3.5 degrees per thousand feet in elevation gain. So if it is 80 degrees in Loveland, you can expect the top of Trail Ridge to be in the 50’s.

Old 02-01-2018, 08:03 AM
Chilidog11
Cruiser
Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

"If you didn’t need to go to Baggs, I would go west to Laramie and take US 287 south to pick up Colorado 14 and then go west over Cameron Pass to Walden. Then south to Granby and pick up US 34 and go over Trail Ridge Road through Rocky Mountain National Park. When you get to Estes Park, you can pick up the Peak to Peak Highway south to I-70."

We did this route last fall but south to north to get to the Tetons. The scenery was amazing.

Old 02-01-2018, 09:39 AM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,575 Likes on 1,969 Posts

Not much time and Baggs is a little out of the way.
3 days I'd think about going south to Loveland and through Rocky Mt. National Park to Granby. West from Granby to Kremmling and on to Steamboat Springs, Hayden, Craig then North to Baggs. From Bagss go east on 70 to Encampment, North on 230 to 130 and east to Laramie.
If you have to do it all in 2 days I'd take 14 to Walden and then Steamboat.

Nice country too bad you don't have more time....... but it will still be a nice ride. We used to stop at the Dixon Club east of Baggs and enjoy a few cold ones.

Porky11 (02-01-2018)
Old 02-10-2018, 12:32 PM
wyotana
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

We did a trip into Colorado a few years ago (also started and ended in Cheyenne). If you have not spent much time in Northern Colorado, I'd look at poudre canyon, Estes Park, Rocky mountain national park, happy Jack road between Cheyenne and laramie isn't half bad, and you can head south from Laramie to get to either of those areas. I've done most of those roads in a day. If you have spent time in northern Colorado it might be worth looking into trying to get farther south. If you take i-25 to i-70 there are several roads in the south Western part of Colorado that are amazing. I 25 is nothing to write home about but i70 is a nice stretch of interstate, and it's just a way to get you further faster anyways. My brother and i rode from Moab Utah to Cheyenne last year, left in the morning got in early afternoon no problem. If you take that route there's grand Mesa, black canyon of the Gunnison, independence pass, maybe even million dollar highway if you're really motivated. It all depends on how far you want/are willing to go. Pm me if you have any questions

Old 02-10-2018, 12:59 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by wyotana
We did a trip into Colorado a few years ago (also started and ended in Cheyenne). If you have not spent much time in Northern Colorado, I'd look at poudre canyon, Estes Park, Rocky mountain national park, happy Jack road between Cheyenne and laramie isn't half bad, and you can head south from Laramie to get to either of those areas. I've done most of those roads in a day. If you have spent time in northern Colorado it might be worth looking into trying to get farther south. If you take i-25 to i-70 there are several roads in the south Western part of Colorado that are amazing. I 25 is nothing to write home about but i70 is a nice stretch of interstate, and it's just a way to get you further faster anyways. My brother and i rode from Moab Utah to Cheyenne last year, left in the morning got in early afternoon no problem. If you take that route there's grand Mesa, black canyon of the Gunnison, independence pass, maybe even million dollar highway if you're really motivated. It all depends on how far you want/are willing to go. Pm me if you have any questions
Good advice here. I'm adding a bit more for you to think of: From Cheyenne, head south to Loveland and west to Estes Park...over Trail Ridge Road...south to Granby and west to Kremmling...south on Hwy 9 to I-70 @ Silverthorne...west on I-70 to Copper Mountain...south on Hwy 91 through Leadville to Granite...west on Hwy 82 over Independence Pass....through Aspen to Glenwood Springs...west on I-70 to Rifle...north on Hwy 13 to Meeker - Craig - Baggs, Wyoming. Of course this is best a three day trip once you leave Cheyenne to loop back to Baggs. Safe ride!

PS: Regarding timing...it'll be a great time to ride in Colorado but the monsoons do come about that time. Just bring rain gear with you. It'll be wet between 2-5pm but excellent before and after. We ride all the time in that weather and nothing to fear. Unless you get struck by lightning...but you won't feel a thing.

Last edited by Whiskers; 02-10-2018 at 01:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Colorado Trip