Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

shipping your bike

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2018 | 12:21 AM
2013superglideseattle
|
Tourer
Default shipping your bike

Hey all! Can anybody tell me a good shipping company who can transport my touring bike from west coast to east coast? Planning on shipping my bike to florida this year and ride it around there and ship it back.

Thanks

The following users liked this post:
Lopro (01-31-2018)
Old 01-30-2018 | 03:45 AM
DaveNBPT
Road Master

I’ve used Federal transport a number of times coast to coast. Good outfit, haven’t done me wrong. They ship in a relatively quick amount of time(comparing to 1-800-haulbikes who took 3 times as long). If interested in Federal Transport, the # is 1-800-747-4100. Others will chime in too as there are many other options.

Old 01-30-2018 | 07:55 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member

I have used Federal four times. Three times all was well. The last time going back and forth from Utah we had some expensive damage. Standard insurance like company tactic they low balled me on their compensation proposal. It took a couple of months but eventually I got the President of the shipping company involved and they paid me everything I asked for, so I guess you can call that a good review.

But this is what I learned thru that process. Federal does not own trucks or employ drivers. They are a broker, they find you a shipping company that can work with your schedule and locations. This caused me the heartache with the claim working with the "other" company that actually shipped the bike.

Next time I will find a company that owns and operates their fleet so I know who has my bike and who to yell at if we have an issue. Do I know who that is, not yet as I currently have no need for the research, but that would be what I suggest. Good luck.

The following 2 users liked this post by Architect:
2013superglideseattle (02-01-2018), cacomly (02-05-2018)
Old 01-30-2018 | 08:46 PM
EggDropX
Advanced

I’ve used Wolverine Cycle Transport. http://www.wolverinecycle.com/front.php
Couldn’t have been easier. Got a video of my bike before it was loaded and another after. You can drop the bike off at a Harley dealer or meet them anywhere you want, and then it shows up wherever you want on the other side of the country. Even your front door. Highly recommend, I only use them.

The following users liked this post:
2013superglideseattle (02-01-2018)
Old 01-30-2018 | 08:58 PM
kel03
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Architect
I have used Federal four times. Three times all was well. The last time going back and forth from Utah we had some expensive damage. Standard insurance like company tactic they low balled me on their compensation proposal. It took a couple of months but eventually I got the President of the shipping company involved and they paid me everything I asked for, so I guess you can call that a good review.

But this is what I learned thru that process. Federal does not own trucks or employ drivers. They are a broker, they find you a shipping company that can work with your schedule and locations. This caused me the heartache with the claim working with the "other" company that actually shipped the bike.

Next time I will find a company that owns and operates their fleet so I know who has my bike and who to yell at if we have an issue. Do I know who that is, not yet as I currently have no need for the research, but that would be what I suggest. Good luck.
Good points, keeping this post for future reference.

Old 01-31-2018 | 08:15 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by kel03
Good points, keeping this post for future reference.
Lesson learned the hard way. Happy to pass on the knowledge.

Old 01-31-2018 | 08:48 AM
DaveNBPT
Road Master

Originally Posted by Architect

Ok, you got me thinking here. The broker-thing isn’t ideal, but do you know of any m/c shippers that owns/operates their own fleet? With Federal, the bike does change hands a few times before it reaches the other coast. Always made me feel a little uneasy, but then again everything has gone well up to now. What I do like about Federal though, is they allow a fully packed bike(exterior) and don’t require draining the fuel tank. Allows for a quick pick-up and departure.

Old 01-31-2018 | 09:02 AM
PDB17UltraRG
Ultimate HDF Member

Helped a friend ship his bike from Florida back to Kentucky using USHIP got it there at a great price too go to there web site its pretty easy add in your info and transporters will bid on the job. Just get some info on the shippers there rated good service.

Old 01-31-2018 | 11:32 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by DaveNBPT
Ok, you got me thinking here. The broker-thing isn’t ideal, but do you know of any m/c shippers that owns/operates their own fleet? With Federal, the bike does change hands a few times before it reaches the other coast. Always made me feel a little uneasy, but then again everything has gone well up to now. What I do like about Federal though, is they allow a fully packed bike(exterior) and don’t require draining the fuel tank. Allows for a quick pick-up and departure.
I agree with everything you just said, if I did not have an issue last time I would have given two thumbs up to Federal. But we had a $6k problem and I almost had to lawyer up to get my money. Federal was not the problem, they agreed with me, STI was the actual shipper and they wanted to play insurance company with me. It was a weird situation but the initial $3k offer got me pissed off and then it was on. Like I said, I received a check for my full claim, but it took a lot more effort then it should have on my part.

So yeh, I still think you want a company that owns their fleet. I wish I had a current recommendation.

Old 01-31-2018 | 12:00 PM
Lopro
Advanced

Originally Posted by 2013superglideseattle
Hey all! Can anybody tell me a good shipping company who can transport my touring bike from west coast to east coast? Planning on shipping my bike to florida this year and ride it around there and ship it back.

Thanks
Not to hijack but will be looking for the same , but from Massachusetts to Florida , thank you for asking .

Quick Reply: shipping your bike