Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Texas travel

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 10:53 AM
Juan L
Received 20,117 Likes on 10,260 Posts

Originally Posted by jmorganroadglide
Unless there is a particular reason to come to Texas, I wouldn't spend the time and treasure to go to the Big Bend area. It is really nice, but two days of nothing to get from the top of Texas to Big Bend.
You must ride slow. I live in DFW and can be there in 7.5 hours.

Old 01-03-2018, 10:58 AM
WOLFITZ
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love about six hours from Big Bend and I make frequent trips on my harley around areas like that. It’s soenthing that was cool once but I wouldn’t make that my destination again. It was long and boring at 6 hours. I live just south east of San Antonio. The good thing about that area is there are some twisty roads, but there are no gas stations on those roads. Plan you trip accordingly and you can make it fun, but I think there is so much better things to see in Texas and not have to worry about gas or being bored.

Old 01-03-2018, 11:01 AM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Thompson5
Traveling to Texas in June from Wisconsin. Looking at going to the southwest side maybe big bend area.Any must sees? Then heading back up thru New Mexico and Colorado. Thanks
Coming from Wisconsin you could ride a Big Bend route through Texas that includes the Hill Country as others suggest. Maybe stay over in Fredericksburg and head SW from there. Much has been written on this site about Hill Country and Big Bend recommendations. I’d recommend making it in early June as I recall one of my rides there was around Father's Day and it was pretty toasty.

The following users liked this post:
WOLFITZ (01-03-2018)
Old 01-03-2018, 11:27 AM
user 7172984932
Banned
Received 18,022 Likes on 9,230 Posts

Sped less time in Texas and more time in New Mexico. Carlsbad Caverns, Cloudcroft, , Gila Natl Forest, Taos, Chama. And southern Colorado.

The following users liked this post:
jmorganroadglide (01-03-2018)
Old 01-03-2018, 12:11 PM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,305 Likes on 1,344 Posts

Originally Posted by rwhisen
You must ride slow. I live in DFW and can be there in 7.5 hours.
We rode from the north of Amarillo to Fort Davis the first day. Second day we did make it into the park. Long boring ride the first day except for maybe the last 50 miles. I just would ride from Wisconsin to Big Bend. I would go elsewhere.

Old 01-03-2018, 12:16 PM
gtmalone
Tourer
Received 187 Likes on 119 Posts

Avoid going through the cities in TX. Traffic is bad almost all of time and aggressive drivers at least in the DFW area. There are plenty of nice roads to get around the cities.

As the previous poster suggests, north central NM up into CO is gorgeous with great roads! Las Vegas, to Taos, to Pagosa Springs, CO is really nice. Take the loop around Wheeler Peak near Taos.

Enjoy the trip!

Old 01-03-2018, 07:55 PM
Thompson5
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gtmalone
Avoid going through the cities in TX. Traffic is bad almost all of time and aggressive drivers at least in the DFW area. There are plenty of nice roads to get around the cities.

As the previous poster suggests, north central NM up into CO is gorgeous with great roads! Las Vegas, to Taos, to Pagosa Springs, CO is really nice. Take the loop around Wheeler Peak near Taos.

Enjoy the trip!
Thanks for all the info. Definitely doing a loop down then probably back up thru NM and CO

Old 01-04-2018, 08:51 AM
gtmalone
Tourer
Received 187 Likes on 119 Posts

If you get close to DFW, give a shout.

Old 01-11-2018, 10:41 AM
MilesOfTexas
Road Warrior
Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

I have been to Big Bend nearly every part of the year.

Pros: So darn hot in June that you may not run across anyone else out there
Cons: Too dang hot to ride and explore during the day in June.

From May through September it is super hot. As in well over 100 degrees with a hot wind.

If you really want to enjoy Big Bend, which I really do want you to do because it is my favorite place in TX, I would suggest April (not March due to Spring Break) or October/November/December (but avoid holidays because the park and lodging will be sold out).

Old 01-11-2018, 09:25 PM
jory434
Road Warrior
Received 502 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by MilesOfTexas
I have been to Big Bend nearly every part of the year.

Pros: So darn hot in June that you may not run across anyone else out there
Cons: Too dang hot to ride and explore during the day in June.

From May through September it is super hot. As in well over 100 degrees with a hot wind.

If you really want to enjoy Big Bend, which I really do want you to do because it is my favorite place in TX, I would suggest April (not March due to Spring Break) or October/November/December (but avoid holidays because the park and lodging will be sold out).
I agree with this. Im 150 miles from Kerrville and 300 miles from Terlingua. I'll take Terlingua/Big Bend every time.. Its a preference thing.

I love staying in the Easter Egg Valley and cooking steaks pulled out of the tour pak on a charcoal grille while staring at the darkest sky you can find in the northern hemisphere. Stars there are truly awesome..

Quick Reply: Texas travel