Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Looking for route info to Glacier National Park

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 07:20 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,856 Likes on 19,336 Posts

Originally Posted by CanadianRocky2
In Montana ..... Alternate Route 14 from Dayton to Kane..... Cody/Chief Joseph Pass/Beartooth Pass.
Cody/Chief Joseph Pass/Beartooth Pass ... excellent ride, you won't be disappointed.

Old 12-28-2017, 03:42 PM
Bandit111
Tourer
Received 59 Likes on 31 Posts

I live 90 miles north of St Mary's . In Aberta Canada . I have traveled all these routes several times . All great rides . Just going to give you the heads up . If you decided to spend some time in Columbia Falls , Kalispell , Whitefish or any were close I would advise you to book well in advance . The rooms in that area or booked up early for the summer months and are very expensive to say the least .

Cheers ,

Old 12-28-2017, 09:28 PM
jdw1
Road Captain
Received 129 Likes on 86 Posts

^^^^^ good advice. We stayed in Kalispel, it was somewhat less expensive.

On another note if you get to Great Falls stay at the O’Harie motor lodge in Great Falls Mt, the place is a hoot!

Old 12-29-2017, 01:24 PM
cficole
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 503 Likes on 396 Posts

Custer State Park and Mount Rushmore, near Rapid City, if you haven't been there.

Old 12-29-2017, 05:26 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by PopPop2
Thanks for all the info. Wife and I rode out west in 2016. Did Black Hills, Cody, Yellowstone and the Tetons. Rode the Chief Joseph but not the Beartooth. Didn't have time for GNP. For the ride to GNP leaning toward route 12 info from mtgriz. For ride home like info from giacomo56. Made reservations at St. Mary because it is on the east side of the park and at the start of the Going to the Sun.
I think you’ll be fine in St. Mary. That first night will be after your ride in and you may want to just check more local stuff. One of my favorites is Two Medicine Lake. Or, head over to Many Glacier Lodge and have a drink on the deck with the gorgeous view of the lake. Take a look at 1 day riding up to Waterton Lakes NP in Canada and the town of Waterton and back. Maybe grab lunch at the iconic Prince of Wales lodge. The day you check out would be a good one to ride the Sun Road to the west taking your time. If planning a southerly loop back to NY you could shoot for Polson or Missoula and consider some of the excellent suggestions already made. You folks are going to have it made whatever you decide.

The following users liked this post:
PopPop2 (12-29-2017)
Old 12-29-2017, 07:59 PM
PopPop2
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mtgriz- Thanks for your support. Many Glacier Lodge was on my list. Will add Two Medicine lake for the ride to Glacier Lodge. Will definitely look into Waterton and Prince of Wales Lodge. Route I am looking at is US89 North, 17 (Chief Mountain Hwy) to the border, Canada 6 (Alberta Highway 6) and then Canada 5 to Waterton. Your thoughts? We moved our stay at St. Mary up a couple of weeks (Arrive July 18/Leave July 21). How will the roads be to Waterton?

Old 12-29-2017, 09:46 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Two Medicine is really just a cool campground and lake that’s off the crowded path. My reason for liking it is because I camped there a couple times. So, if you just have a little time you still may enjoy a ride through there and a break at the store to buy lunch and eat it by the lake. Glacier Lodge was built by the Great Northern Railroad to promote tourism... one of a kind place and worth the time, IMO. As for the road up to Waterton I don’t recall the route numbers but just north of Babb, Mont. on 89 there’s a little road that cuts off to the NW to the border. Nice roads that should be fine. As you probably already know even in mid-July we can have some cold and wet riding in this country. Always recommend good rain and heated gear if you have it. Still, sitting here in North Idaho tonight where we just got about 6” of heavy, slushy snow it’s a nice break mulling over previous rides. We’re all lucky we get to do these trips.