Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Sturgis 2018

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 12:19 AM
jaknb
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sturgis 2018

Saw a lot of bikes recently heading to Sturgis on I-80 and decided next year I will go. My question and what I have always wondered is where would I stay. I don't camp and the little lady has no interest in camping either. Anyone have a suggestion has to where I should start looking to find lodging for next years Sturgis rally? Any other tips for a first timer would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 08-06-2017, 01:32 AM
richkidman
Cruiser
Veteran: Air Force
Received 76 Likes on 55 Posts

Depends on what you're looking for, myself each time I've gone I've stayed in Custer state park. Some camping, but mostly staying in the cabins they have there. Prices are good, compared to the hotel gouging that goes on. That being said, its about a 45 minute ride from sturgis proper. It's all about what you like and how close/ far away you'd want to be from the "action".

Old 08-06-2017, 08:31 AM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

During rally week rooms are typically $225+ in the immediate area. The week before rally, maybe 1/2 of that, but still lots of bikes around and fun. Just not jammed. If you've never been you should probably do rally week. If Rapid City is OK with you it's pretty easy to book for less. I'm in Spearfish now and the cheapest place in town is $180 for a single, and he's booked solid. So, guess it just depends on your budget and requirements. I'm here solo so pretty flexible.

Old 08-06-2017, 09:16 AM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 363 Posts

It's very expensive but some of the campgrounds have small cabins and campers for rent. Have to reserve very early to get them. Advantage at places like the Buffalo Chip where you can party hard during the concerts and walk back to your spot without worry of getting a DUI. Full Throttle also had a lot before it burned but I don't know if they have many at their new place at the former Broken Spoke.

Last edited by tnriverluver; 08-06-2017 at 09:18 AM.
Old 08-06-2017, 10:04 AM
01dyna
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2,014 Likes on 656 Posts

If you have no interest in camping you might look into renting a cabin or RV in one of the campgrounds so you can still get the experience (concerts, events, people, etc.). If you're not interested in partying and concerts and want to go strictly for the ride you could look into hotels in Rapid City and other outlying communities. Or, if $$$ isn't much of an issue you can rent a house in Sturgis.

A lot of of options. It really depends on what you want out of the sturgis experience and what your budget is.

Old 08-06-2017, 10:16 AM
coach127
Tourer
Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

I just returned from Montana this week and would like to do Sturgis next year also. I looked at the options in the Buffalo Chip campground. Can you get any sleep with that many people and bikes in a small area? I would like to stay where the action is the first time.

Old 08-06-2017, 10:40 AM
UPSGUY
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

I went in 2010 and 2015 and both times we rented a house in Spearfish, around $4k for the week but they had 5 bedrooms and bring a group of friends and it works out to be less than $1k each.

Old 08-06-2017, 10:42 AM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by coach127
I just returned from Montana this week and would like to do Sturgis next year also. I looked at the options in the Buffalo Chip campground. Can you get any sleep with that many people and bikes in a small area? I would like to stay where the action is the first time.
My wife and I stayed 2 years in my Cargo/Toyhauler conversion and slept great!
I'm use to MUCH louder/wilder rallies than what the Chip has to offer. She had never stayed at any rally other than motels in Daytona. After midnight it quietens down considerably. I have a stereo that I turn down and play until it gets really quiet for the night. Tent camping ear plugs and earphones probably are needed.

The following users liked this post:
coach127 (08-06-2017)
Old 08-06-2017, 08:48 PM
Harley Guy
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Deadwood, SD is a great place to home base - Hampton Inn.

Old 08-07-2017, 02:38 AM
tfi racing
Road Master
Received 401 Likes on 199 Posts

Lot's of B&B options,many home owners in Sturgis also offer a room or a spot in the yard walking distance to all the in town activities.Decide what you want to experience the most while there,find a place to stay close to that and take Da Bus when you want to **** it up.

Quick Reply: Sturgis 2018