Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Need a West Virginia Hub

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 11:47 AM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Need a West Virginia Hub

My buddies and I are thinking about doing a different kind to trip since one of them may need to cut the trip short on one end or the other. We all like West Virginia riding and it is not that far from his home, so the idea is to rent a cabin somewhere and then do day rides from there, ending up in the cabin each night. One thought for the central location that jumped to mind was the New River Gorge area. But I would love to hear suggestions from others as to the area they would choose or even specific places they have stayed.

Thanks in advance!

Old 07-17-2017, 01:53 PM
ltmdl90
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I here route 250 is a nice ride.

The following users liked this post:
TKDKurt (07-19-2017)
Old 07-17-2017, 03:16 PM
Harley-Jim
Road Captain
Received 438 Likes on 220 Posts

I've stayed in Cass, http://www.cassrailroad.com/cottages.html, Nothing there so you have to pack it in. I've also stayed out in Massanutten, Virginia in the condo's https://www.massresort.com/ It's a scenic 2 hour ride over into WV The good side is it's right near Skyline/Blue Ridge Parkway.

TKDKurt (07-19-2017)
Old 07-18-2017, 10:15 PM
cobalt07
Road Master
Received 248 Likes on 155 Posts

Go to Caanan Valley. It is a ski area in winter and has plenty of accomidations. It puts you near Blackwater Falls and Seneca Rocks, an area of vertical rocks pushed up by the earths crust millions of years ago. You can go to the top on a path...incredible view...and climb out in the vertical layers. The whole area is great riding. Dolly Sods and the highest point in W.V. is nearby (it looks like it's up in the Rockies, rocks instead of soil, trees with branches on one side and a lookout tower). Lots of bikes down there.

TKDKurt (07-19-2017)
Old 07-19-2017, 07:02 AM
Hecklerboy
Road Warrior
Received 893 Likes on 387 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt07
Go to Canaan Valley. It is a ski area in winter and has plenty of accommodations. It puts you near Blackwater Falls and Seneca Rocks, an area of vertical rocks pushed up by the earths crust millions of years ago. You can go to the top on a path...incredible view...and climb out in the vertical layers. The whole area is great riding. Dolly Sods and the highest point in W.V. is nearby (it looks like it's up in the Rockies, rocks instead of soil, trees with branches on one side and a lookout tower). Lots of bikes down there.
This is probably your best option. Lots of great riding and cool little towns close to Canaan Valley.

TKDKurt (07-19-2017)
Old 07-19-2017, 07:36 AM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

Thanks all! Someone else suggested the Snowshoe area. Anyone have any experience with places there?

Old 07-19-2017, 10:05 AM
Chief2505
Tourer
Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

The past two years we have home based out of Princeton WV, about 30 miles south of Beckley or the New River Gorge area.
Unfortunately there are not many vacation rentals in that area but there are some just outside of Beckley. That area would put you close to the back of the dragon Rt 16 and many other great roads

You cannot go wrong just about anywhere in WV, we found so many great roads it almost became a workout!

Old 07-19-2017, 11:10 AM
Harley-Jim
Road Captain
Received 438 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by TKDKurt
Thanks all! Someone else suggested the Snowshoe area. Anyone have any experience with places there?
Cass is right there! Riding is spectacular anywhere in the east side of the state.

TKDKurt (07-19-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 06:22 AM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,649 Likes on 1,077 Posts

We rented a cabin from Germany Valley Overlook Cabins back in June to use as our hub. Close to Seneca Rocks. Can't say enough about how nice the cabin was (#2), the view was awesome and the area riding is great.

Not so great is the bars and places to stop. Now don't get me wrong, I don't need to drink all day, but after riding all day, it's nice to be able to go out for a bit. There wasn't **** around that whole area without riding an hour or so in any direction. It may not have been so bad, but the weather absolutely sucked. It rained every day, all afternoon. Not easy rain either; more like we gotta build an Ark because the roads turned to rivers type of rain. Staying at the cabin all afternoon got old quick.

TKDKurt (07-21-2017)
Old 07-23-2017, 01:13 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,344 Likes on 1,872 Posts

We just got back from a trip that took us through the Canaan Valley.
We spent two nights at the Resort and Convention Center and though it's a tad expensive (unless you can room share) they have a nice lounge and you can also buy beer in the restaurant and even their snack shop.

We did the "chair lift" ride for a good view of the surrounding area and went for an all day ride to view a few small towns as well as Seneca Rocks.

The major routes that runs from Elkins to the Davis/Thomas area are Rt. 219 (marked scenic) that runs north/northeast up through Parsons and the other route out of Elkins heading east is Rt. 33 and that connects with Rt. 32 near Harman that runs north into the Davis/Thomas areas.
Thomas is a neat little town to visit and we had breakfast at a little place called (I believe) "Flying Pigs".

I will share one piece of very valuable information about one of the tiny little road that you may want to ride IF the weather is nice and you do it in the daylight hours ONLY!
Rt. 72 runs on a slightly southeast/northwest angle between Rt. 219 and Rt 32 and it is NOT a road for a novice rider or for those who feel the "need for speed"!
It goes through the back country with little houses and farms and it has some very sharp turns with loose gravel to worry about.
Thankfully, my wife left her bike at the motel ad rode with me that day and she said that if I had taken her there while she was riding, she would have killed me!

TKDKurt (07-23-2017)

Quick Reply: Need a West Virginia Hub