Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

4000 mile trip, next week! Help please, St Louis, Sturgis, Grand Tetons, Brekenridge,

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 03:07 PM
Jerome Casi
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question 4000 mile trip, next week! Help please, St Louis, Sturgis, Grand Tetons, Brekenridge,

Have a big trip planned. We go to Sturgis every year as a small group that meets up annually leaving the women behind, but wanted to do something different. So we are going early and just passing through Sturgis and making a large loop.

4 of us total each with a small tent

Route:
Stlouis to Sioux Falls (Stop, is there camping?)
Sturgis (Stop 2 or 3 days, best camping non-sturgis weeks, best chances for non-reservation spots)
Grand Tetons (Stop 3 or 4 days, looking for camping and ride recommendations)
Breckenridge (Stop 4 days, lodging provided, ride recommendations)

We have never went past Sturgis, Grand tetons stood out since we need to get to Colorado. Is there good enough riding around there for 3 or 4 days? Recommended routes etc?

We never have camped out of actual Sturgis week, so we are looking for any recommendations camping at Sioux Falls, Sturgis (good spots outside actual bike week since we are 2 weeks early), and Grand Tetons. Also looking for ride recommendations for the Tetons (if this is a good spot to spend a couple days exploring).

If we are way off the mark and there is a better spot to go to than the Tetons, open to hear it! We are keeping a loose schedule and not booking lodging ahead of time encase plans change etc. Bonuses for campsites with a view and a beer store.

Attached Thumbnails 4000 mile trip, next week!  Help please, St Louis, Sturgis, Grand Tetons, Brekenridge,-mancation-2017.jpg  
Old 07-14-2017, 03:36 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 363 Posts

Sounds like an awesome trip!!!!! Many of the Sturgis campgrounds offer year round camping so should be easy to find something not to mention they will be pretty well geared up for bikeweek.

Grand Tetons and Colorado I would not attempt without advance reservations. Very busy time of year for both areas. Sioux Falls??? Yuck!!! I'd find something elsewhere!!!

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 07-15-2017 at 08:19 AM.
Old 07-14-2017, 04:27 PM
Springer66
Advanced
Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

Also keep updated on large forest fires to avoid. Have a great trip

Old 07-14-2017, 04:47 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 21,689 Likes on 9,539 Posts

The best way to see the Tetons is to ride down from Yellowstone. Stay at Cody, have a Wisky at the Irma, just like Buffalo Bill did, then head into the park and down. There is a road that gets closer to the mountains once your in The Teton park, take it.

Cody & Jackson Hole will be expensive. Expect to pay 200 to 300 a night. And book now!

I would say it is a 3 day event, unless you are going to stay in Jackson (tourists everywhere).

One day from Cody to Jackson, one day on the mountain loop through Idaho and back, and a day doing the Chief Joseph/Beartooth loop out of Cody.

All 3 of those rides are Spectacular. "A Western Rose" motel in Cody is where I stay.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 07-15-2017 at 08:19 AM.
Old 07-15-2017, 06:30 AM
Ultra Rider 07
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 290 Likes on 142 Posts

We were in Sturgis for the 75 and left there heading west. Rode across the bighorn mountain range on 14a which is really a nice ride. Then we headed for red Lodge Mt. From there take ride over the Beartooth Pass then the chief Joseph into Cody Wy. Both of these roads are spectacular. We then went through Yellowstone on 14 around the lake then south on 197 to Jackson Wy. Take Rocky 2's advice and take the park road along the Tetons. Enjoy your ride it's hard not to out there. If you stop in Jackson Have a beer in the million dollar cowboy bar.

Old 07-15-2017, 07:12 AM
nibroc
Road Warrior
Received 222 Likes on 164 Posts

looks like alot o slab to me but from Billings on is the real ride

Old 07-15-2017, 08:18 AM
Jerome Casi
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CanadianRocky2
The best way to see the Tetons is to ride down from Yellowstone. Stay at Cody, have a Wisky at the Irma, just like Buffalo Bill did, then head into the park and down. There is a road that gets closer to the mountains once your in The Teton park, take it.

Cody & Jackson Hole will be expensive. Expect to pay 200 to 300 a night. And book now!

I would say it is a 3 day event, unless you are going to stay in Jackson (tourists everywhere).

One day from Cody to Jackson, one day on the mountain loop through Idaho and back, and a day doing the Chief Joseph/Beartooth loop out of Cody.
That is exactly what I was looking for, thank you! One question, can you provide any guidance on the loop you talk about. I found the Beartooth loop route, and obviously Cody to Jackson ride. What is the loop you are referring to?

Old 07-15-2017, 09:09 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Originally Posted by Jerome Casi
That is exactly what I was looking for, thank you! One question, can you provide any guidance on the loop you talk about. I found the Beartooth loop route, and obviously Cody to Jackson ride. What is the loop you are referring to?
Jackson to Victor..... Victor to swan Valley ..... swan Valley to Alpine .... Alpine back to Jackson.

The following users liked this post:
Nokkon Wud (08-29-2019)
Old 07-15-2017, 09:11 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

I just booked a room at the Western Rose in Cody. $200 a night.

Old 07-15-2017, 11:03 AM
Cab Lizzard
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CanadianRocky2
Jackson to Victor..... Victor to swan Valley ..... swan Valley to Alpine .... Alpine back to Jackson.
It don't get much better than this one ! Except in the fall .......

May have better luck with camp spot down along the Snake River ... Tetons will be jammed packed.

Quick Reply: 4000 mile trip, next week! Help please, St Louis, Sturgis, Grand Tetons, Brekenridge,