Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Retirement ride.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 10:48 AM
SFDonovan
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Retirement ride.

So my older brother just retired after 27 years on the Pensacola police force, and this month he and I are meeting in St Louis and riding all the way out to Oregon to spend some time with each other, and visit our step dad. Heading due West to Hayes Kansas, Grand Junction CO, then out to Las Vegas with a stop to ride through Zion National Park. I'm wondering what route we should take to head North after Las Vegas. Anybody know about Hwy 95 to Reno? Our final destination is Waldport, Oregon.

The return trip is Spokane, Bozeman, Sturgis, Omaha, Oklahoma City, and Denton Texas.

Old 07-07-2017, 12:18 PM
gtmalone
Tourer
Received 187 Likes on 119 Posts

It's going to be toasty out there. I would go west to US395 up the east side of CA. Hit the road REALLY early to beat some of the heat of the Mojave Desert. Should get a little cooler as you go north. Plan a stop at Yosemite!

Just north of Coleville, CA, take CA89 north. Takes you through Lassen Volcanic Natl Park. Great ride and scenery plus some higher elevations to help with the heat. CA89 ends at Mt Shasta.

Then US97 north to see Crater Lake.

Enjoy the ride! Thank your brother for his service to community!

Old 07-08-2017, 09:32 PM
Fireax
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Haceta Head and the Sea Lion Caves are only 30 minutes South of Waldport
Ya Gotta Ride That Oregon Coast!!

Cape Meares is only 2 hours North of Waldport!

Mt. Whitney near Lone Pine

(gtmalone) "It's going to be toasty out there. I would go west to US395 up the east side of CA. Hit the road REALLY early to beat some of the heat of the Mojave Desert. Should get a little cooler as you go north. Plan a stop at Yosemite!"
Very True! If you can take the heat of Death Valley hit 395 at Lone Pine. Mt. Whitney is Very Pretty at Lone Pine, if you have time ride on up to the Mt. Whitney trail head through Alabama Hills (named after the confederate gunboat by Southern sympathizers). Mt. Whitney is the tallest peak in the "Lower 48" states. If you can't do that hit 395 at Lee Vining and ride Tioga Pass through Yosemite, then get on over to the Cali coast at San Francisco or Jenner (I prefer Jenner, San Francisco is too crowded for me). The ride from Santa Rosa along the Russian River to Jenner is very nice. Stop at the Russian River Brewery in Santa Rosa and get a Pliney the Elder IPA, and stop at the Russian River Pub just East of Korbel for a Really Good Burger.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 07-20-2017 at 05:48 PM.
Old 07-18-2017, 08:07 AM
AtticusFinch
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

What's your route through Utah? Do yourself a favor and drop off the interstate. Check out Goblin Valley, Hwy. 12, Burr Trail, and Bryce Canyon on your way to Zion.

Old 07-20-2017, 02:25 PM
cwickgo9
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I just came back from that direction, staying with some friends in Bozeman. I'd recommend heading back on 90, then dropping down 89 through Yellowstone. If you can only pass through, go east when you go into the park, then hit the lower west side (Ol' Faithful) then out the bottom. You'll see most of the beautiful scenery and pass most of the geothermal outbursts. It was a great ride.

Old 07-21-2017, 07:30 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 21,593 Likes on 9,504 Posts

From Vegas I would head to Lee Vining through Death Valley, (the key to riding in the heat is to wear a light jacket, and a long sleeve T-shirt, you soak the T-shirt in water, put it on... that's the tough part... and then the jacket over it... as the water evaporates, it pulls the heat from your body... also, a loose scarf around your neck, keeps the sun off your neck... I never ride with exposed skin on hot sunny days for any length of time)... then up 395 to Reno.

If I had one day in Yellowstone, I would do it like this. Start in Livingston, and head south down 89, all the way to Old Faithful, across the bottom of the park, and head up the East side, and come back out over The Beartooth in o Red Lodge. You will see the best parts of the park. The road is slow, there are lots of stops you will want to visit, so leave early and plan for a long day. .... if is in the cards, from Red lodge go to Cody, stay at The Western Rose, watch the gunfight, drink at the bar in the Irma, then ride east over Alternate route 14 to Sheridan.

Old 07-24-2017, 11:39 AM
AtticusFinch
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by CanadianRocky2
If I had one day in Yellowstone, I would do it like this. Start in Livingston, and head south down 89, all the way to Old Faithful, across the bottom of the park, and head up the East side, and come back out over The Beartooth in o Red Lodge. You will see the best parts of the park. The road is slow, there are lots of stops you will want to visit, so leave early and plan for a long day. .... if is in the cards, from Red lodge go to Cody, stay at The Western Rose, watch the gunfight, drink at the bar in the Irma, then ride east over Alternate route 14 to Sheridan.
There is road construction between Mammoth Hot Springs and Norris Junction. I can involve delays of up to 30 minutes. It's not terrible, but be aware that the pavement is gone in that area. Also be aware that the road is closed from 10:00 p.m. until 7:00 a.m. If you're working on getting an early start, the road might still be closed.

There are so many places in Yellowstone to get off, walk a bit, hike some even, you'll want to be there more than one day if you can swing it. Be prepared for bison on the road, and for elk in Mammoth Hot Springs.