Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Bay Area, Ca to Halfway OR - First Road trip on a bike 2 up

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 05:26 PM
Grandslam
Road Warrior
Received 338 Likes on 209 Posts

My butt tells me that I need to get gas every 120-150 miles. Strange that my gas gauge says I still have 100-70 miles left in my tank. I have the Road Zeppelin seat. As suggested, stay hydrated. Drink PLENTY of water.

Looks like you are getting pretty well set up. Enjoy your trip and post a lot of pics.

The following users liked this post:
cleber (07-04-2017)
Old 07-04-2017, 05:38 PM
cleber
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you everyone for the suggestions... we are taking the suggested route and might mix up a bit depending on how we feel... we took the bike out this weekend for the hollister rally 70th anniversary and the seat was a hit.. although when I add the rider back rest the wife area gets significantly smaller so at the moment I'll only use the rider back rest if I need it.
Feels like we have all setup and are ready..... dropped off the bike at the dealer for the first 1k maintenance, the bike only has 750 miles but I feel it will be ok....
Anyways keep checking back we will be uploading pics during the drive and our thoughts on the road traveled.
Cant wait to get on road with the best partner ever!!!

Cheers
Happy 4th

Old 07-04-2017, 05:50 PM
cleber
Advanced

Originally Posted by Rickity
I hear that the Hell's canyon route out of Baker City Or. is a very nice ride. Might be worth looking into seeing as though you we be right there. It's on our to do list next year. Could also check into an Air Hawk seat pad. Really helps with the tired butt. Good luck
My friends place is right by Hells Canyon so on our off days we will be having day fun rides around that area....

Thanks for the suggestion you definitely know that area, that is the only part of Oregon I know...

Cheers

Old 07-05-2017, 01:40 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,270 Likes on 1,976 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickity
I hear that the Hell's canyon route out of Baker City Or. is a very nice ride. Might be worth looking into seeing as though you we be right there. It's on our to do list next year. Could also check into an Air Hawk seat pad. Really helps with the tired butt. Good luck
Originally Posted by cleber
My friends place is right by Hells Canyon so on our off days we will be having day fun rides around that area....

Thanks for the suggestion you definitely know that area, that is the only part of Oregon I know...

Cheers
I want to share a little advice with you. A friend of mine in Halfway has spent some time as an EMT and has also spent some time working in the clinic either there or in Baker City and she has told me that each year, when they've had a rally there, that the Hells Canyon road has gotten a few people into trouble. The road is narrow and windy and also has some loose gravel in various parts of the road. For those that have never been on it, people sometimes have tried to over ride that stretch of highway and have gotten into minor or sometimes serious problems, so if you take it, watch out for the unexpected, it might just jump up and bite you in the *** and ruin your trip.

cleber (07-06-2017)
Old 07-05-2017, 08:12 PM
duckbagger
Road Captain
Received 207 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by SPRINGER
I want to share a little advice with you. A friend of mine in Halfway has spent some time as an EMT and has also spent some time working in the clinic either there or in Baker City and she has told me that each year, when they've had a rally there, that the Hells Canyon road has gotten a few people into trouble. The road is narrow and windy and also has some loose gravel in various parts of the road. For those that have never been on it, people sometimes have tried to over ride that stretch of highway and have gotten into minor or sometimes serious problems, so if you take it, watch out for the unexpected, it might just jump up and bite you in the *** and ruin your trip.
One of the photos in my previous post was taken near Brownlee Dam in Hells Canyon. The road is indeed narrow and windy in places, but as long as you control your speed you should be fine, especially if you are riding with someone who knows the road.

I agree its not a great place to ride over your head.

cleber (07-06-2017)
Old 07-06-2017, 10:07 AM
cleber
Advanced

How many pounds will most of you guys carry on a luggage rack?
We going to be 2 up plus one bag we are estimating this bag will be around 25lbs is this too much? The rack can handle 30 pounds... dont want bike to feel very very heavy....

Cheers

Old 07-06-2017, 10:55 AM
cleber
Advanced

Another question is my bike still dont have plates should I expect an issues while travelling through OR, possible Idaho and Nevada??

Completely forgot about that littel detail, opsss

Old 07-06-2017, 06:09 PM
Grandslam
Road Warrior
Received 338 Likes on 209 Posts

I thought the limit on the rack was listed as like 15 pounds. I told a friend last year that HD would have to recalculate the limit according to the stuff he had packed on the rack. Pack your heavier items in the saddle bags or tour pack to get the weight as low as you can if possible.

Old 07-09-2017, 03:08 PM
tomve
Tourer
Received 185 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by cleber
Another question is my bike still dont have plates should I expect an issues while travelling through OR, possible Idaho and Nevada??

Completely forgot about that littel detail, opsss
I had a similar situation when I purchased a used bike from a local HD dealer. The registration tag was not current and I left for a week long trip. Going through Yosemite, I was questioned regarding my expired registration by a Park Ranger. Promptly should him my temporary registration... no problem.

If I had a new bike with no plates & going on a long trip, I would carry the temporary registration & (possibly the sales docs), & for sure proof of insurance.
my .02

Old 07-17-2017, 09:02 PM
cleber
Advanced

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and tips on this thread it really helped on our trip.

We are back safe and sounds bike performed flawless we did about 2k miles round trip....

The route was amazing easy ride and excellent views...We took 5 to Weed, 97 and 26 we returned via same route as there were places we wanted to see more and stop

The Hammock seat was a success, we were doing sprints of 80 to 120 miles no problems stop and took breaks... on the last leg we did 160 miles that was pushing a bit but no pain on the next day.

Non-Ethanol premium, I had no idea in Oregon you could get it at the pump station... I pumped every chance I could and I notice the bike was running really nice with it... 6th gear roll on pulled harder than regular premium we get in CA...

Highway pegs were a success although the moved a few times and I had to move it back to where I wanted,,, going to use a piece of rubber from an old inner tube and add to the inside of the clamps....

Klamath Falls, Bend and Halfway was great places to stay.

Here are some pics from the ride

Quick Reply: Bay Area, Ca to Halfway OR - First Road trip on a bike 2 up