Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Bay Area, Ca to Halfway OR - First Road trip on a bike 2 up

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 04:19 PM
gtmalone
Tourer
Received 187 Likes on 119 Posts

As others suggested, take a shorter day trip for a shakedown. 450 miles/day seems a little aggressive especially since you aren't in a hurry. On a bike you can probably add at least 25% more time than what a map app calculates.

Take breaks at least every 1-1.5 hrs. Even a 5 min break will help considerably. Take longer breaks at gas stops.

CA101 would be a better choice than I-5 in my opinion. Even better is the Pacific Coast Highway if you are okay with twisty sections of road.

US199 from Crescent City to Grants Pass is a nice ride. Someone mentioned Oregon Caves. Cool place! Road up to it is twisty. If you go that route, work your way to Crater Lake. Spectacular!

I love the desert, too, but not in summertime!

In any case, enjoy the ride!

Old 06-27-2017, 10:05 PM
cleber
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just ordered this Kuryakyn 1670 hopefully it will work well with the hammock seat all should be home by friday so we get to try this out this weekend...

Old 06-27-2017, 11:06 PM
FunGramps
Banned
Received 1,544 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by DBlass
First off, you will not be going through Nevada unless you need or want a uglier ride. The fastest and more scenic route is I-5 to Weed, US97 to Bend to Burns on US 26, Burns, up to John Day on US 395 (alternatively, you can go from Bend to John Day direct but it has some slower sections) to Baker City on OR 7. Halfway is due east of Baker City. Even this route is a 2 day'er (Bay Area to Klamath Falls, K Falls to Halfway).

There is plenty of gas on either route since they are all on major hiways. Stay below 70 mph (and out of 6 gear) and I would guess about 38-40 mpg. It is all up to your setup and your speed. I did a VERY LONG stretch across Nevada desert where it was 170 miles to the next gas station. I rode at 60 mph and did amazingly better then I normally do at 75 mph.

Other than that, I do not know what you need to know. I do long solo rides up and down the west coast and there is nothing "new" to long rides so long as you butts can take it.
+1 on the John Day ride! SUNSCREEN. Bring water. Don't ride fatigued, and don't continue if your passenger gets fatigued, or it might be her last trip with you.

Old 06-28-2017, 01:59 PM
gtmalone
Tourer
Received 187 Likes on 119 Posts

About 6 posts down this thread is a checklist I put together for road trips. Hope you find it useful. Adjust to fit your trip.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/the-f...e-camping.html

Old 06-30-2017, 03:43 PM
cleber
Advanced

Just received the hammock seat cant wait to install and go for a ride.
Yesterday install the Kuryakan back rest kit and all worked really well I hope there are no issues with the hammock seat and the Kuryakan back rest.

I'll post pictures as soon as I get it installed

Really glad I got the back rest at the beginning I was not considering one... but I think it was smart idea for the long rides.

Old 06-30-2017, 04:11 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,270 Likes on 1,976 Posts

Originally Posted by cleber
Just received the hammock seat cant wait to install and go for a ride.
Yesterday install the Kuryakan back rest kit and all worked really well I hope there are no issues with the hammock seat and the Kuryakan back rest.

I'll post pictures as soon as I get it installed

Really glad I got the back rest at the beginning I was not considering one... but I think it was smart idea for the long rides.
I agree about the back rest thing. I found that the older that I get, the better I like my back rest.

Old 06-30-2017, 08:05 PM
cleber
Advanced

Ohh boy this thing is comfy!!!! We are going to put some miles on tomorrow we will be riding to the hollister rally.... perfect timing...

Cheers

Old 07-03-2017, 09:33 AM
duckbagger
Road Captain
Received 207 Likes on 120 Posts

These are from last summer's trip to Lolo Pass.

Hwy 7 out of John Day to Baker City is a must do. Some of the best of NE Oregon elk country.

You can get to John Day via 395 from Burns if you don't mind the desert, but 26 out of Prineville is a much nicer ride, it takes you over Ochoco Pass and through the fossil beds.

Enjoy!

Old 07-03-2017, 10:01 AM
cleber
Advanced

Originally Posted by duckbagger

These are from last summer's trip to Lolo Pass.

Hwy 7 out of John Day to Baker City is a must do. Some of the best of NE Oregon elk country.

You can get to John Day via 395 from Burns if you don't mind the desert, but 26 out of Prineville is a much nicer ride, it takes you over Ochoco Pass and through the fossil beds.

Enjoy!
Great photos thanks for posting I'm going to look into route you suggested....
Nice Bike!!!

Cheers

Old 07-04-2017, 03:49 PM
Rickity
Advanced
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Hell's Canyon out of Baker City

I hear that the Hell's canyon route out of Baker City Or. is a very nice ride. Might be worth looking into seeing as though you we be right there. It's on our to do list next year. Could also check into an Air Hawk seat pad. Really helps with the tired butt. Good luck

Quick Reply: Bay Area, Ca to Halfway OR - First Road trip on a bike 2 up