Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

West coast trip advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 09:23 PM
Warlock29
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Phoenix to Saskatchewan possible west coast??

Looking to ride my bagger back from Phoenix to Saskatchewan. Id leave Phoenix sept 18th. Is that too late in year to run north along the west coast??? Would I be better to go a bit east and go north of Amarillo?

I've never run the coast and would really like too. I've went north of Amarillo before last year in early October was great weathers
I have 7 ish days to do it and prefer no snow storms in any passes

Thanks in advance for the info

Last edited by Warlock29; 09-09-2016 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Change of trip
Old 09-07-2016, 10:31 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 30,706 Likes on 11,556 Posts

I'm not sure what route you take when you say the West Coast. Saskatchewan is about due north of Phoenix. So, the further west you swing, the more outvofvtge way you will go. But, if you take the coast highways up through California, Oregon, and Washington you might get some rain...but not snow. But you still have to cross the Rockies and head north to Saskatchewan...which means crossing some pretty high passes...and a likelihood of snow.

Old 09-08-2016, 05:50 AM
Cab Lizzard
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

High country above 5000 ft received snow over the weekend.
Montana and Idaho.

Old 09-08-2016, 07:26 AM
Warlock29
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes at some point I'll have to head back east. I was just really wanting to see the west coast.
Last October we rode it to Phoenix. Went straight southern of Pierre North Dakota to Amarillo then west.
Flew down in January and rode to mazatlan and back to Phoenix.
Now time to fly down and ride it home.

Old 09-08-2016, 08:35 AM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,062 Likes on 1,491 Posts

In California you are likely to have perfect riding weather along the coast. You may hit some rain in Oregon and Washington, but overall it is a good time to ride the coast. Let me know if you have any questions or concerns about the Bay Area.

Old 09-08-2016, 09:49 AM
woodman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 363 Likes on 361 Posts

Just got back from riding 101 from Crescent City,Ca north to Seattle. The weather was fine on the coast. A little rain but the crowds are gone.

Old 09-08-2016, 10:29 AM
Randy Mac
Tourer
Received 61 Likes on 37 Posts

Yes, the crowds are gone, but the highway repair crews are in full swing, expect delays. I rode from Crescent City to Eureka yesterday, it took 2 hours and 18 minutes to go 82 miles, got held up 6 times by CalTrans, half were long enough to have a smoke.

Old 09-08-2016, 11:24 AM
MysticTraveler
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

If your schedule permits, you should definitely run up the coast road, PCH-1. In California, I think it's one of the mc best rides anywhere... especially along the Big Sur coast. September is fine on the PCH-1 in California. As someone previously mentioned, be ready for a little rain in Oregon & Washington.

Old 09-08-2016, 12:05 PM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 326 Posts

Agreed with the others. It's a great time of year ride up the coast. Hwy 1 between Pismo and all the way up through to where it ends at 101 is incredible. There are some very tight twisty sections and the going can be quite a bit slower than sticking to 101. Very much worth it if you have the time.

Another alternative that is convenient from Phoenix is Hwy 395. Incredible views and lightly traveled. A word of caution about the small town along the road. When it says speed limit 35 going through town.....you'd best be goin' 35. Those small town constables just love to tag travelers with speeding tickets as they're not likely to come back to contest them.

Scenery along 395 ranges from arid on the south end, to forested once north of Bishop. Then it connects easily with roads going east back town Saskatchewan.

Ride safe. Have fun. Take lots of photos!

Old 09-08-2016, 12:47 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,687 Likes on 1,364 Posts

I was in Ketchum, ID this weekend and it was 37F at night, snow in upper elevations. Warmed to 60 each day. Several short rain squalls, otherwise it was decent riding weather.

Coast, and mountains get iffy by third week of September. That said, I've crossed the Northern Rockies as late as Halloween, but I had to wait a few days to get back.

Use a weather app and adapt as required. I find a Doppler map very useful as I can time my departure to miss the storms. Here in my neck of the woods. the Pacific Northwest, Idaho, Oregon and Washington, we are headed into a couple of pretty decent weeks for riding.

I'd go for it. Chance of snow in the passes is minimal.

Quick Reply: West coast trip advice