Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Road Trip, northern KY and southern IN

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 11:22 PM
60mike06FLHX
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Road Trip, northern KY and southern IN

Last week end my wife and had planed to head off from Ohio to Myrtle Beach Bike week for a few days, at the last minute we decided to skip Bike Week and ride a little closer to home.

We took off from the Dayton Ohio area on Thursday morning and took US 68 south, crossed the Ohio river into Kentucky, enjoyed the Kentucky horse farms along the way. We by passed Lexington on the loop and out the other side still on US 68 through the “Shaker” area with the beautiful stone fences. Shakertown www.shakervillageky.org is a great place to eat or spend the night however we went on to Springfield KY where we spent the night at a nice old B & B, www.maplehillmanor.com.

The next day we toured “My Old Kentucky Home”, then back roads up to Fort Knox, they have a nice Patton Tank Museum, you can not tour the base since 9-11.

Once again back roads to Brandenburg, KY. We ate lunch at the Doe Run Inn, we had stayed there about 30 years ago and had forgotten how quaint it was. GREAT FOOD, http://www.doeruninn.com/

We then crossed the Ohio river up in to the Hoosier National Forest and on to Bedford, IN where we spent two great nights and days at the Gardens Inn Bed and Breakfast, http://gardensinn.com/ , We did the “Bikers Dream Package”

The two days here were wonderful. The Inn is ran by Mike and Roxi and there kids, Mike is a MC rider and every day had the weather report ran off and a personal copy of some of his best rides in the area (and southern Indiana has some great rides) then at night he had buckets, rags and cleaning supplies set out for our use. Roxi is a great cook and had desert ever night with a glass of milk and some wonderful breakfast items on the deck to start our day. We came as guest and left as friends. Thanks Mike and Roxi for a great time.

Sunday morning after another large breakfast we took US 50 west to Cincinnati and then on to home.

Both my wife and I agree it was far more relaxing then a few days at bike week.

I recommend this road trip to any one in the area.

Ride safe

Old 05-22-2007, 01:21 PM
95Heritage
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Road Trip, northern KY and southern IN

Sounds like you was in my back yard. I currently live in lexington but i'm from Bardstown, KY and I'm very familiar with the area that you was riding in

Old 05-22-2007, 02:53 PM
60mike06FLHX
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

As i said NICE, NICE area.

Old 05-24-2007, 09:23 PM
robbitybob
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in Southern Indiana and have ridden all over the eastern US. We have some really great roads and awesome sights. It is not the mountains of NC or the miles of twisties like SW Virginia but a flavor all its own that relaxes and refreshes you. I'm glad you had a great time.

We went the opposite way of you last weekend - over to Eastern Ohio and the Dover area. Great time! The Warther Museum was fantastic.

Old 06-03-2007, 01:25 PM
jrudicel
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great report. Will have to check out Mike and Roxi's sometime soon! I live on highway 50 in the town of North Vernon, about 60 miles west of Cinci, so you came right by!