Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Suggestions on 2 day NC ride

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 05:37 PM
CalypsoNotch93
Road Master
Received 98 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Suggestions on 2 day NC ride

Leaving tomorrow morning to go on a 2 day ride in the mountains. Not sure where I want to go. Dragon has gotten old and i've ridden a lot of the roads in that area. Looking for somewhere new. I've already been down the entire BLP twice.

Any tips? Leaving from the Raleigh area. Will need a cheap place to stay too. Dont mind camping but I prefer a cheap hotel.

Thanks

Old 07-15-2016, 07:26 AM
Grandslam
Road Warrior
Received 339 Likes on 210 Posts

We did a 4 day trip from VA, WV, TN and NC over the 4th of July weekend. We hit a lot of great roads. Just outside Asheville at Marion, Hwy 80. Then 226A at Little Switzerland. One is the Rattler and one the Diamondback. We also rode the Snake and the Whip. The Snake is not far from Bristol.

Old 07-15-2016, 07:45 AM
HotRodNut
Cruiser
Received 48 Likes on 20 Posts

I've been going and staying in Brevard on Highway 64, you have so many roads nearby like 276 back across the mountain into South Carolina, then cut across HWY 11 to 178 and go back across the mountain to Rosman, NC, then back 64 to Brevard. Other rides are over to Rosman then north on 215 to the Blue Ridge PKWY, then over to 276 and back down to Brevard, or stay on PKWY over to Ashville.

I always rented from a place in town that the guy had a little shed out back where I could keep my Bike inside, Grandpa's something or another rental. Real reasonable too. I'll have to see if I can find that.

But, there are plenty of other rentals as well as roads and places to go up there.

Old 07-15-2016, 10:10 AM
CalypsoNotch93
Road Master

Originally Posted by HotRodNut
I've been going and staying in Brevard on Highway 64, you have so many roads nearby like 276 back across the mountain into South Carolina, then cut across HWY 11 to 178 and go back across the mountain to Rosman, NC, then back 64 to Brevard. Other rides are over to Rosman then north on 215 to the Blue Ridge PKWY, then over to 276 and back down to Brevard, or stay on PKWY over to Ashville.

I always rented from a place in town that the guy had a little shed out back where I could keep my Bike inside, Grandpa's something or another rental. Real reasonable too. I'll have to see if I can find that.

But, there are plenty of other rentals as well as roads and places to go up there.

Thanks! Headed to Brevard now and hope to get both routes in.

Old 07-15-2016, 10:26 AM
jay72
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Try heading to the east. Sure is some pretty country around the outer banks and the northern border. Maybe ride 158 all the way. Stop by Lake Gaston, visit awhile. Just a short ride to Stuart, VA to the Wood Brothers race shop if you're a fan.

Old 07-15-2016, 09:57 PM
CalypsoNotch93
Road Master

Just got home. Weather wasn't looking good for camping so changed plans around a little and did a day trip instead. Took 40 west to 64 in Statesville and ran that to Lenior. Then 321 to Blowing rock, BRP for about 20 miles or so, then down 221 back to Marion. Stopped in Hickory and got a beer and a steak then ran 40 to Mocksville and rode 64 back to Raleigh.

Hit some storms around Blowing rock but never was a real down pour. It was a good ride for being so short

Old 07-15-2016, 10:02 PM
CalypsoNotch93
Road Master

Originally Posted by jay72
Just a short ride to Stuart, VA to the Wood Brothers race shop if you're a fan.
I'll have to check that out! I rode to Richard Pettys shop few weeks back to check it out and ended up meeting the king himself and shaking his hand right before they fired up his superbird. If you havent been there, that's a good place too

Old 07-16-2016, 07:51 AM
BigDawgQC
Road Warrior
Veteran: Army
Received 336 Likes on 184 Posts

I live in Cary. Try going up to Marion, Va. Run the Back Of The Dragon (my favorite road) to the Thompson Valley Market. Then come back part way, left on 42, to 52 back to Wytheville & 77, 74 to 40 & back home.

Old 07-19-2016, 07:29 AM
HotRodNut
Cruiser
Received 48 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackness03
Just got home. Weather wasn't looking good for camping so changed plans around a little and did a day trip instead. Took 40 west to 64 in Statesville and ran that to Lenior. Then 321 to Blowing rock, BRP for about 20 miles or so, then down 221 back to Marion. Stopped in Hickory and got a beer and a steak then ran 40 to Mocksville and rode 64 back to Raleigh.

Hit some storms around Blowing rock but never was a real down pour. It was a good ride for being so short

That sounded like a great ride, I've ridden most of those roads. You mentioned Mocksville, I used to live there until 1997 then moving to Florida. Lots of great roads up north and to the west of Mocksville.

Florida doesn't quite have the roads NC and SC has, but . . . . the riding seasons are somewhat better.

Old 08-01-2016, 10:22 PM
Farmboy666
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by HotRodNut

I live in Brevard and never heard about Grandpa's. Was it a house rental? Just curious. Sunset Motel is on the Rosman side of town and is about 80 a night, was 59 not to long ago but this place has become a tourist mecca.

Quick Reply: Suggestions on 2 day NC ride