Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

road trip past DC area

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 08:50 AM
glenalt
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You can pick up hwy 29 off 66 just past Manassas. Great ride all the way down to Danville, VA. If you want too you can jump on BRP not far off 29 and ride it south for a while and jump back off and either go over to 81 or get back on 29. A lot of nice riding all over that area.

Old 07-11-2016, 09:15 AM
Emil Wide Glide
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I have lived in the DC area for 51 years (my whole life). At all costs avoid I 95. Not only is traffic bad, it's just not a nice ride. If you are able to avoid traffic, its just blind luck.

I've ridden on all of the other roads suggested (US 29, US 220, US 15, Rt 17) and they are nice.

PM me if you want to meet up as you pass through or want to talk about your trip.

Safe journeys
Emil

Old 07-11-2016, 11:13 AM
ev780
Tourer
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Semi-hijack. I am planning a similar ride up the East coast as part of a bigger ride from Colorado in September. After doing the Dragon the plan is to get to the Coast somewhere in Ga or Sc and cruise the waterfront up to Kitty Hawk or so. Then I need to get to Alexandria to see a cousin. Two questions....

Has it started to cool at all yet along the coast in September? Humidity dropping yet?

Second, one poster stated DC traffic is typical for big cities. Avoid rush hour and just suck it up and get where you are going. Shouldn't be too bad. Others imply that it never stops and you will die. I am not really afraid of traffic other than O'Hare at rush hour. I am from Colorado and just like most cities Denver freeways are to be avoided morning, evening and Bronco games. Otherwise just a city. How is DC?

Old 07-11-2016, 11:36 AM
mastergunnera8
Road Master
Received 121 Likes on 102 Posts

For the OP, It really depends on if you are in a hurry or not to get home.

81 can get truck crazy, they drive really fast, and packed in, so stay in the open..but its better than 95 if you are targeting western NY.

And places like Skyline drive are OK once, but the speed limit is crazy slow...so either travel at night through DC 95, 270, 70, 81 or go back the same way to went..ride safe!!!

For EV,

Has it started to cool at all yet along the coast in September? Humidity dropping yet?

Could be smoking hot still...never can tell..

Second, one poster stated DC traffic is typical for big cities. Avoid rush hour and just suck it up and get where you are going. Shouldn't be too bad. Others imply that it never stops and you will die. I am not really afraid of traffic other than O'Hare at rush hour. I am from Colorado and just like most cities Denver freeways are to be avoided morning, evening and Bronco games. Otherwise just a city. How is DC?[/QUOTE]

Times are a key, but crazy things happen here also...Depends which way you come in...For the OP also, Know that on a motorcycle you can ride in the HOV lanes for free, no EZpass required..just check the direction of travel for times if running the 95 corridor.

The running around the west side of the beltway is bi-directional, and worth it, traffic there is awful past the big malls.

Alexandria is inside the beltway, the last couple miles after leaving the HOV can be fun.

Oh, look into the timing from Kitty Hawk up north. THAT traffic can be worse than DC...like hours of standstill...most folks I know do the run in and out of there at night.

Last edited by mastergunnera8; 07-11-2016 at 11:51 AM.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:50 PM
northeastconfederate
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ev780
Semi-hijack. I am planning a similar ride up the East coast as part of a bigger ride from Colorado in September. After doing the Dragon the plan is to get to the Coast somewhere in Ga or Sc and cruise the waterfront up to Kitty Hawk or so. Then I need to get to Alexandria to see a cousin. Two questions....

Second, one poster stated DC traffic is typical for big cities. Avoid rush hour and just suck it up and get where you are going. Shouldn't be too bad. Others imply that it never stops and you will die. I am not really afraid of traffic other than O'Hare at rush hour. I am from Colorado and just like most cities Denver freeways are to be avoided morning, evening and Bronco games. Otherwise just a city. How is DC?
I have been on DC's beltway at 11 am and breezed through it from 95S over to 66. Very light traffic, no issues whatsoever.

I've also been on it at 2:30 in the afternoon and it was a parking lot. Another time around 4:30 and it was dangerous. Traffic was extremely heavy, literally bumper to bumper, but moving between 0 and 50 mph. A bunch of packed in, worn out, end of the day commuters trying to get home after a day's work and facing a long commute. Everyone is frustrated, aggravated and nobody is looking for a motorcycle. It is what I describe as combat riding.

Can I handle it? Sure. Do I think it's wise or safe? NO.

Baltimore's beltway isn't much better. 81 is a much better choice even if it's out of the way.

Old 07-12-2016, 05:04 AM
rydeer
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It's Not Just the City Traffic. Most of 95 is "High Stress" riding. You Know when the Back of Your neck hurts and Your knuckles are White from holding on so Tight!