Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

West Coast Trip

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 08:24 AM
mrhensley
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default West Coast Trip

Hello All,

Ive had much luck with feedback here so will try again this year. The boys and I are heading West this year on our annual run and looking to you all for some solid advice on things to do, see, eat etc... Ive attached a general map of the area that we will be covering. If you know a mom and pop joint with the best burger or coldest beer, Id like to know about it. If you think something is over-hyped and its not worth the time to get to it, Id like to know about that too!

Also, if anyone knows how long it takes to get through Yosemite Park that would be great. I was thinking of taking the fella's through a National Park vs Sacramento leaving San Francisco. We would travel through on 120, but would most likely take a side trip into Yosemite Valley to see the well known sites in the park.

Thanks Everyone!

AJ

Attached Thumbnails West Coast Trip-bigtrip2016final.jpg  
Old 06-12-2016, 08:54 AM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,019 Likes on 1,456 Posts

Looks like a nice ride. Consider taking either 50 or 6 across Nevada. As for how long it takes to "do" Yosemite, you can spend a life time there. From the time you enter Yosemite on Route 120/Tioga Pass, it is about 2-3 hours to the valley. You'll want to stop at Olmstead Point and maybe in Tuolumne Meadows. And spend some time in the Valley eating and taking in the scenery. If you want to spend more time in Yosemite, consider going up to Glacier Point. Also, what questions do you have about the San Francisco Bay Area.

The following users liked this post:
mrhensley (06-12-2016)
Old 06-12-2016, 09:03 AM
mrhensley
Advanced

Thanks Mike!

Do you know what we would be looking at for time to get from Crescent City to San Fran, if we took the 1 along the coast. Would we save much more time traveling the 101 instead? Should I start or finish on the 1, mixing it up to see both and make time?

Old 06-12-2016, 11:05 AM
Randy Mac
Tourer
Received 61 Likes on 37 Posts

CC to SF can take about 8 hours this time of year. The two lane sections can be slow due to tourists and Prius drivers, also watch for CalTrans, they have a few ongoing projects. US 1 is two lane, can be narrow and tight in places, you won't be going fast.

mrhensley (06-15-2016)
Old 06-12-2016, 11:44 AM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,019 Likes on 1,456 Posts

Originally Posted by mrhensley
Thanks Mike!

Do you know what we would be looking at for time to get from Crescent City to San Fran, if we took the 1 along the coast. Would we save much more time traveling the 101 instead? Should I start or finish on the 1, mixing it up to see both and make time?
Originally Posted by Randy Mac
CC to SF can take about 8 hours this time of year. The two lane sections can be slow due to tourists and Prius drivers, also watch for CalTrans, they have a few ongoing projects. US 1 is two lane, can be narrow and tight in places, you won't be going fast.
That is about right if you do mostly 101. Route 1 can add a lot of time to your ride, but it is beautiful. There are many places where you can leave 101 and pick up 1, so you don't have to do the coast all the way.

mrhensley (06-15-2016)
Old 06-12-2016, 01:43 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 21,173 Likes on 9,325 Posts

AJ, I am in Crescent City as I post this. I have been running down from Port Angeles for three days now, and continue onto San Fran, then south a bit, then over to Yosemite. The ride is on the fourth line of my signature, The Journeys of Darla.

One route suggestion. When you get to Vancouver Wash, head out to the coast on the North side of the Columbia River, then cross the Astoria Bridge and continue on 101 south. Driving around the Olympic Penninsula is pretty cool, but you spend almost all the time riding in the rain forest, and only a tiny bit on the ocean.

mrhensley (06-15-2016)
Old 06-13-2016, 01:25 PM
byronk
Road Captain
Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Like others have said, Hwy 1 will add alot of time to your trip and there are parts of it just North of Fort Bragg that are dirt and some others that are pretty beat up and slow going.

Food recommendation...........Eal River Brewery in Fortuna is excellent and they have an outdoor area to eat/drink and play horseshoes if your into that.

mrhensley (06-15-2016)
Old 06-13-2016, 08:03 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 21,173 Likes on 9,325 Posts

I did Leggit to Fort Brag today. I left at 9 and got here at 5, but I took some side routes and stopped for lunch and coffee, and a bunch of pictures, which will be available on "Journeys of Darla" in a bit.

There is lots of construction, a few short sections of gravel, but mostly it was a very nice ride. I stopped at a campsite and they wanted $41. I got a room in Fort Brag for $50.

The piece of road from Leggit to the ocean is spectacular!

...and there not giving you much wiggle room, either.

mrhensley (06-15-2016)
Old 06-13-2016, 11:04 PM
lnelson
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From Jackson, WY take HWY 89 to Logan, UT. BEAUTIFUL RIDE. Much better than going thru ID...

mrhensley (06-15-2016)
Old 06-15-2016, 01:03 PM
mrhensley
Advanced

Thanks all...some good information here and I appreciate it!

AJ

Quick Reply: West Coast Trip