Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Tahoe and Lassen late June

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 02:32 PM
arthur
Road Master
Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Tahoe and Lassen late June

Hey there,

Thinking of a ride from SF Tahoe for a night or two and then on to Lassen National Park. As of writing this, not all park roads are open yet due to a late snowfall. Thinking of going to the north enterance.

We've got 6 days and thinking we might do a little light hiking while in the park.

Does 6 days seem like a fair amount of time? Going to take the scenic route to Tahoe, so figuring about 7.5 hour day. Was planning a night in Tahoe, maybe two. Not sure what's up there in summer beyond what I found on line. We've been to Reno. Then thinking with some roads closed, lassen may be 3 nights or so.

Any advice, must-see things and things to avoid?

Thanks

A

Old 05-30-2016, 03:06 PM
Diverrick
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

If you go to tahoe, take hwy 88 up out of Jackson, the pn cut North to south shore. Mt lassen in summer is awesome. Way cooler than the valley, due the elevation. If you want to do a good hike at Lassen. Do broke off mountain. Much more shade, and lots of pretty trees and meadows. Lassen peak itself, is open to the sun everywhere, and actually not that scenic. And at that elevation,you can get really sunburnt in short order. Barren ground the whole trip. Be ready for cool nights in Lassen in June..

Old 05-30-2016, 04:55 PM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,078 Likes on 1,504 Posts

All roads should be open by late June. As far as timing, figure one day SF - Tahoe. You can go a number of routes, all of them good. 88, as Diverrick mentioned is good. Also figure one day from Tahoe to Lassen. Actually less than a day. If you spend a couple of nights in Tahoe, there are a lot of nice roads to ride in the area. Just riding around the lake is nice. The ride back from Lassen to SF is also an easy ride with lots of possibilities. Basically, you are in for a treat.

Old 05-30-2016, 07:54 PM
YPD485
Stellar HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 135 Posts

I don't know about this year but last year the westside of Lake Tahoe (route 89) was a mess with all the construction. Same for route 50 on the south side of the lake. Hopefully it's all done this year.

Old 05-30-2016, 08:02 PM
rizzo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,703 Likes on 2,126 Posts

Be aware of your location and gas stops. We came out of the park on empty and went to the nearest town for gas. Station had been closed for a couple years.

>:-(

I was able to find a local cutting his grass and had to do a lot of talking to buy a couple gallons off him.

Old 05-30-2016, 10:45 PM
arthur
Road Master

Great advice everyone, thanks. Will check to see if there is any construction around the area. Good route tips too. I have a little fuel can I take on trips with me "just in case". Looks like I'll bring it on this one too.

Old 05-31-2016, 02:02 PM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,458 Likes on 2,781 Posts

We were there last year, August, Lassen NP is a nice half a day park unless you are the hiking type. One road in and one out. We stayed in Chester that night, we were on a Southern route. Best Western Rose Quartz was nice and clean. Had dinner right up the block at Lake Almanor Tavern. Does not look like much from outside, but nice place, good food and very nice people. Get the story of the "bar".

The following users liked this post:
arthur (06-12-2016)
Old 06-01-2016, 10:12 PM
arthur
Road Master

Originally Posted by Architect
We were there last year, August, Lassen NP is a nice half a day park unless you are the hiking type. One road in and one out. We stayed in Chester that night, we were on a Southern route. Best Western Rose Quartz was nice and clean. Had dinner right up the block at Lake Almanor Tavern. Does not look like much from outside, but nice place, good food and very nice people. Get the story of the "bar".
Thanks for the tip on BW and almanor. We may end up hiking a little, then do some day rides around the area.