Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

The Journeys of Darla ....

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 03:03 AM
94ruck
Road Captain
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Our journeys always include inclement weather as well. But the scenery you keep showing makes any weather just an obstacle! great reports, keep em coming!

The following users liked this post:
CanadianRocky (06-30-2016)
Old 06-30-2016, 07:55 AM
robertwy
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 68 XLCH
Tough weather, but good company, i think your right behind a slightly customized, red and white '55 Chevy.

Thank goodness for sturdy covered pumps.
It's a '55 Ford I think. Looks like a nice car.

Old 06-30-2016, 08:26 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 21,677 Likes on 9,537 Posts

There where several hot rods in there from California. The hail is hard on the paint, harder on the face.

So I head out yesterday morning East on Hwy 2. I get to Chester and stop for a coffee, dig out a map and there is a road out of there heading south towards Fort Benton. It will start taking me South East. So I finish my coffee, back track through town (very friendly people there, it was nice to chat to the locals) and head off the grid.

Ha, never gets windy here....<br/>

On route 223. Everyone waves at everyone.

Old farm. There where a few of these.

Talk about off the Grid ...... Nothing that way.

Nothing this way. No phone connections for most of it.

So, then I get back on the grid. And call work from the junction at Fort Benton. I shouldn't have ..... Seems there is a thing I needed to fix, and couldn't from there. So I fuel up there, and head home. I headed towards Great falls, jumped on the Freeway for a bit then took a connector over to 89. Up to Browning, back on 2 to Whitefish and Noth to home. I didn't stop and take a single picture. Sorry about that, but if I had I wouldn't have made it back last night and I have to be at work this morning. 12 hours yesterday, and 500 miles. It was a good ride.

Unfortunately, No more long road for me for most of July. Just short runs here and there. The next thing will be Sturgis.

Thanks to all who are watching "The Journey". I see the views are way up there and I hope you are all enjoying my Adventure.

We will be back and I will posting the short rides unti then.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 07-03-2017 at 07:50 PM.
Old 06-30-2016, 08:26 AM
Knuckelhead
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Love this thread..

CanadianRocky (06-30-2016)
Old 06-30-2016, 08:37 AM
CR3999
Road Captain
Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

Looks like a good way to head to Sturgis. If I make it there this year.

Old 07-02-2016, 09:03 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Originally Posted by CR3999
Looks like a good way to head to Sturgis. If I make it there this year.
This will be my first trip to Sturgis. I have had lots of opportunities to go, but always said I would save the first one for when I had a Harley. I got a room booked in one of the motels somewhere and we will be going for a few days. Darla will be easy to spot.

If any of the readers make it, I should be there around the 6th to 8th. I look forward to meeting up and getting some Picts.

Old 07-02-2016, 11:14 PM
68 XLCH
Road Warrior
Received 151 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by robertwy
It's a '55 Ford I think. Looks like a nice car.

You may be right, that is what i thought at first the tail lights, while "Frenched" and mayabe customized, i think they call it, are not Chevy, look like Ford lights but we are close on the year, still good company lol

Last edited by 68 XLCH; 07-02-2016 at 11:18 PM.
Old 07-03-2016, 09:52 AM
robertwy
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 68 XLCH
You may be right, that is what i thought at first the tail lights, while "Frenched" and mayabe customized, i think they call it, are not Chevy, look like Ford lights but we are close on the year, still good company lol
Yep, those were the days when cars were fun.

Old 08-01-2016, 08:47 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

I apologize for my Inattention to this thread. A few days back in July turned int ALL of July. I am working on getting to Sturgis right now, but it is still up in the air. I have been on the Bike almost every day, but all around town with just a few short day thrips and one over night. But today, I was with Darla most of the day. I will post up some Picts and some text, so enjoy my day ride around the East kootenays. I left from Cranbrook and headed north to Kimberly, then up to Wasa, down to Fort Steel, down the side road to Norbury park, then kept on heading south to Bull River for supper, then further south and back onto the main highway #3. Across the bridge, and onto Ha Ha creek road and then home. It was a lazy day, full of stops and pictures.

I have been remiss with keep her clean. So I did a wash and polish. It felt good to ride a nice clean bike.

On the way to Kimberley. Those are the Rocky Mountains in the background.

No visit to Kimberley is complete without an Ice Cream. This is my favourite shop in the area, and I almost never ride by without getting a cone.

After leaving Kimberly and heading north. This is just above the junction where you head south and back towards Wasa.

About 15 minutes later you get to Fort Steele, there is a Gas station and campground right there with lots of parking and popcorn. I stopped there for a good hour just sitting and enjoying some chat with fellow travelers. When you leave the gas station, head left and go down the Fort Steel/Bull river road, a very nice diversion. This picture is of Baker mountain, just a few hundred yards down the road.

The Rocky Mountains, enough said.

We use to call this Take5 Ranch and landed planes on the grass runway back in the day. I always stop here for a pict and a rest.

Ok, I got hungry, and just down the road from Take 5 is the Bull river inn, and yes, it tasted as good as it looked. A very popular spot for local bike riders, and it should be on your East Kootenay list of places to eat.

That's Bull Mountain in the back ground. This use to be a very busy little town. There are great pictures of the town from about 100 years ago in the pub.

Bull Mountain from the causway just before you get to the bridge.

Once you cross the bridge, there is a road to the left, then a bit down that road you get onto Ha Ha creek road. This little lake is just up a bit.

A Panno of the Steeples Range

I don't have my laptop at the moment, so I cannot tell why this is so bad. I will see if I can fix it in a while.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 07-03-2017 at 07:51 PM.
Old 08-01-2016, 11:33 PM
Doc V
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Just now checking out this thread, fantastic. Looks like Jezebel may end up in Sturgis in a week or so, probably sleeping in Spearfish. I'm sure she'd love to meet Darla.

Cheers,
Doc

CanadianRocky (08-26-2016)

Quick Reply: The Journeys of Darla ....