Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

The Journeys of Darla ....

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 11:01 PM
nickthecanuck
Cruiser
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks for posting so much Rocky! This thread is my go-to to keep me entertained/excited while I wait for my cross-country trip in August!

The following 2 users liked this post by nickthecanuck:
CanadianRocky (06-22-2016), racinghoss (06-22-2016)
Old 06-22-2016, 09:00 AM
racinghoss
Road Captain
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts

I grew up in SE Idaho. You are making me homesick.

The following users liked this post:
CanadianRocky (06-22-2016)
Old 06-25-2016, 02:00 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 21,687 Likes on 9,539 Posts

(Edit. RATS!!!! Looks to be a short delay). Ok, so the issues at home have been dealt with and it is time to get back on the road. Monday morning I head out. And have decided on a different direction. I shall head to "The Rock". Also known in Canada as Newfoundland. The first part of the trip will take me down to Kalispel and onto Hwy 2 and then East. I am going to visit my daughter for a few days in Minniapolis. Then Head out and find "The Bridges of Madison County".

Ok, so NOT leaving tomorrow. Might as well update. When I bought Darla used, she is an '09, I decided to get the 5 year unlimited millage Full warranty. Clearly, this was a brilliant idea. So far, they have replaced one gauge, one gasket, the electric hand grips and a few other bits. The warranty was about $3,000, BUT I have already been "paid back" about $800. Taking into account I will have her for a long time and I am a high mile rider, I am pretty sure I will get back all my money, and more.

Not quite sure when I am back on the road at this point. I will update that when I am actually heading on Darla, somewhere.

....and here I go. It's moving day. I have had as much idle time as I can stand. I am going to head south to Montana Hwy 2 and then east. Some where along the way I will hook South East towards Winterset Iowa and The Bridges of Maddison County. I understand that is also the birthplace of The Duke. (John Wayne).

Then back north to visit my daughter in Minneapolis. Then it is unknown.

I even got a hair cut and trimmed my beard for this part of The Great Adventure

First of course ...... Coffee.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 07-03-2017 at 07:49 PM.
Old 06-28-2016, 12:37 PM
Glydin
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Great tripping stories! Photography is fantastic!

CanadianRocky (06-28-2016)
Old 06-28-2016, 02:00 PM
CR3999
Road Captain
Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

Hey CR2, That dude sitting in front of the coffee shop. Does he sit the every day, or does he work there. Or are you using an old photo(might be busted)? He is in the first photo you posted in this thread. hehehe
Ride safe out there, and above all have fun.

Old 06-28-2016, 08:45 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Originally Posted by CR3999
Hey CR2, That dude sitting in front of the coffee shop. Does he sit the every day, or does he work there. Or are you using an old photo(might be busted)? He is in the first photo you posted in this thread. hehehe
Ride safe out there, and above all have fun.
It is the same guy. That coffee shop has a very loyal clientele.

It was a very good day, except for the last few minutes. The drive was excellent, sunny, the roads where good, and not a lot of traffic. I was aiming for a lot farther than I got which is Cut Bank. I was planning to camp tonight, but the pictures will tell the story.

Heading towards the border. This is at the Junction of Hwy 3 and 93 in Elko. It is about 20 minutes to the border from here.

At the top of a little rise on Hwy 2 between West and East Glacier.

This is close to Browning at the Continental Divide, which is about 5,100 ft in elevation. The first time I came through here, this was in the middle of the highway. The three people in the picture are on a hike from Mexico to Canada on the trail that goes the entire route.

The Eastern face of the Rocky Mountains

Big mountains behind me .....

... and Big Weather in front of me. I was heading straight towards that storm......

.... and found it. It was raining and hailing so hard I was in Second gear with my right hand protecting the left side of my face, and my face right up into the screen.

When I got into Cut Bank, I hid in here with a bunch of other people. The storm was heading East, and so was I. So I decided to tie down in Cut Bank in a motel.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 07-03-2017 at 07:50 PM.
pyuchem (11-10-2022)
Old 06-29-2016, 07:24 AM
CR3999
Road Captain
Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

There is a camp site in Glacier NP,called Cut Back. Have you every camped there? They call it "primitive camping". I was looking at that place for a base for a few days.

Old 06-29-2016, 08:24 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Originally Posted by CR3999
There is a camp site in Glacier NP,called Cut Back. Have you every camped there? They call it "primitive camping". I was looking at that place for a base for a few days.
I haven't stayed there. Primitive probably means outhouses and boil water. The campground in West Glacier at Macdonald lake is very nice. I have stayed there several times. There is a small town there for supplies.

Old 06-29-2016, 09:01 AM
68 XLCH
Road Warrior
Received 151 Likes on 131 Posts

Tough weather, but good company, i think your right behind a slightly customized, red and white '55 Chevy.

Thank goodness for sturdy covered pumps.

CanadianRocky (06-30-2016)
Old 06-29-2016, 03:34 PM
HFS
Club Member
Received 340 Likes on 205 Posts

Looks like you've got quite the ride in store.

I'm going to try to post up my trip in similar fashion.

I also have an 09 Touring, and have no desire to change it. [I have too much money into it.] I killed the warranty long ago -- But it is pretty awesome otherwise.

Ride safe.

H

CanadianRocky (06-30-2016)

Quick Reply: The Journeys of Darla ....