Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

The Journeys of Darla ....

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 07:36 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 21,689 Likes on 9,539 Posts

Back to the FOB thing. I have now spoken to several different dealers and all of them but one have said they have heard about it. Some of the things that cause issues are Cabs, Resturant portable pay machines, wireless security cameras, cell phones, and with me The Indian Motorcycle in Death Valley. And now that I think about it, there was a car running with people in it when I first noticed it in Lewiston Idaho.

Time to pack up. The Sun will be in my back and the wind in my face, on a bright cloudless morning. Nice.

Old 06-18-2017, 08:29 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

On The Highway of Tears, 16. With respect to the many women and men who went missing on it .....here is just one of them.

Madison Scott

Last edited by CanadianRocky; 06-18-2017 at 10:00 AM.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:27 AM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 535 Likes on 460 Posts

In 2017 HD changed to a new fob (90300111) that isn't compatible with earlier models (68926-07). Who knows what changed but shockingly the 2017 fob is $5.00 cheaper than the earlier fobs. Maybe that's where the problem is .... cheap parts???

Old 06-18-2017, 10:03 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Originally Posted by 14GuineaPig
In 2017 HD changed to a new fob (90300111) that isn't compatible with earlier models (68926-07). Who knows what changed but shockingly the 2017 fob is $5.00 cheaper than the earlier fobs. Maybe that's where the problem is .... cheap parts???
Well, they have a problem for sure. More than once I have had to push my Harley to get it going. A little bit of oil on the ground under it, and it will be just like the Golden Olden Days .....

Old 06-18-2017, 10:29 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Pretty country, big winding 70 mph highway for most of it. All to myself on Sunday morning. Stopped in Burns lake for breakfast and to warm up a bit.... 39 F at one point ......

Lots of lakes along the way

Lots of sweepers

Old 06-18-2017, 02:21 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Love NewMotorcycle road.....

Old 06-18-2017, 09:15 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

A good run today. I made it all the way to Stewart. I found a room unpacked and did a run over to Hyder, but just turned around and came back.

From Vanderhoof to Smithers it is pretty country, with rolling hills and big fast road. What I call Cruise Control road. Most of the time I had it set at about 70 but adjusted for towns and sharper corners. From Smithers on you are back in the mountains, but on the valley floor. Nice roads and very nice mountains either beside you, or off in the distance.

Once on 37, you are also in a valley for most of it, but it changes a bunch. The sides of the road is not cut back, so you have bush right beside you, which means there is no view for a lot of it, and you got to watch for animals. I saw a few. Again a cruise control road, but still nice to ride on. It is in very good repair all the way to Meziaden Junction.

Then something very interesting happens as you head towards Steward....The mountains are right beside you, and straight up. It is almost like they are hanging over your shoulders. It is pretty cool, and something you would not feel in a car. The road is twisty, and there are water falls and glaciers and rock cliffs, and, and.

In my opinion the 30 miles from Meziadin to Steward is one of the best roads I have been on. In sheer beauty it rivals Glacier, The Beartooth and the road through Rocky Mountain National park in Colorado. But..... and it is a big but.... it was sunny today. If it was not, and it was raining, you would see nothing, and it is a hell of a ride from anywhere to get here.

Stewart is a nice little town, Hyder looks to be a big dump. I was here about 37 years ago, and it was raining so I did not get to see the mountains.

Here are some picts......

Old 06-18-2017, 09:25 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

First view of the Mountains, and big sweepers.

Just west of Smithers.

About 50 miles up Hwy 37, where I stopped for second lunch

Great Bear Glacier above....3 little bears below... I waited for a truck to move them off the road before I went.

Just before Great Bear Glacier

Great Bear Glacier

A bunch of the road is like that all the way to Steward

Old 06-18-2017, 09:29 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

It is calling for rain tomorrow, and there isn't enough here to keep me any longer, so I head to Dease Lake tomorrow, its about 250 miles or so. I already got a room booked there. I have already prepped for rain tomorrow. Filed up and got the rain gear handy, and the clothes packed into the dry bags.

I must have seen 100 ADV bikes today. I guess there was an ADV event up in Whitehorse this weekend. There are half a dozzen in the motel tonight and they are heading North also tomorrow and then onto Fair Banks and Prudohe Bay...... hmmmmmm.....

Old 06-18-2017, 11:50 PM
Salmo pass
Cruiser
Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Great updates and I really am interested. I am going to be a week behind you as I leave next Sunday. I am going as far as Watson lake YT and than back down. Not sure if I am going to take 37 on the way or on the way back. I did decide tonight though that I will be staying at the Siesta either way. Travel safe.

Quick Reply: The Journeys of Darla ....