Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

The Journeys of Darla ....

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 06:20 PM
WillSin865
Advanced
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I've seen people do remarkable things with an iPhone, and yours are no exception. I do understand the difference but to the normal eye, they wouldn't even know.

The following users liked this post:
CanadianRocky (12-07-2016)
Old 12-06-2016, 02:49 PM
shortfuse223
Road Captain
Received 211 Likes on 113 Posts

Great write up and pics. I have always wanted to take a motorcycle tour of the Midwest/west and this thread has really stoked the fire. Thank you!

The following users liked this post:
CanadianRocky (12-07-2016)
Old 01-12-2017, 12:11 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 21,687 Likes on 9,539 Posts
Default Darla is in Hybernation .....

....but not me

The Old Man & The Mountain

Old 01-18-2017, 11:58 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Default Are you 1 in 10? I am....

First of all, I am not sick. I have no symptoms of Kidney Disease. And I live a very active and healthy lifestyle.

What I have, is just one indicator. My Microalbumin Level is higher than it should be. Usually the range is between 0.00 - 30.00. Mine is 74.00, and according to the Kidney Foundation info 300 is a good indicator that you have CKD (Chronic Kidney Disease) so I have a way to go. I don't need Dialysis, nor am I a candidate for a transplant.

There is no cure for CKD. There is only treatment, as in Dialysis. The "cure" is a transplant.

What is interesting is that the Foundations and doctors agree that 1 in 10 people have some level of Kidney Disease. It is not that small of a club. An example is if there where 500 readers of "Journeys" this summer, then 50, according to the stats, are at risk of having it.

Even though I go in for blood testing every few months for another reason, it was never tested for. I found out when I applied for Life Insurance, and they tested for it, plus many other things that would preclude being eligible for it. I was denied due to this.

I am doing some further testing over the next while to ascertain if that level is accurate or not. I am not certain what happens after that.

If you read the thread across the summer, you will remember the post i put on when Bear (my dog) passed. What is funny, is that he basically died because his Kidneys shut down. I then dedicated 2016's "Journeys" to him.

This year, I am dedicating "Darla's Journeys" to the education of Kidney Disease. It is not a fund raising ride and I am not looking for donations to any foundation. That is a choice each person will make on their own.

No, this summers Journey is to educate. I am going to get some decals made up for the Panniers, and talk to as many people I can.

So, if you have a minute, take this test, and see if maybe you should go see your Doctor and find out if you are special Like I am ..... "1 in 10"

https://www.kidney.ca/risk-assessment

.... I am also going to drink more Red Wine when I eat. And as long as "time" permits I will ride Darla more, there are some places I want to go see ....

Last edited by CanadianRocky; 01-18-2017 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Made a whoopsie
Old 02-03-2017, 01:06 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by CanadianRocky2

Old Chief Joseph's resting place.
Was just thinking I want to revisit Bear Paw just south of Chinook, Mont. where Chief Joseph finally met defeat. It's probably been 30 years since my visit but sitting there reading Beal's book describing the scene around me is unforgettable. I suspect you've made that detour off US 2 on The Highline. Anyway, thanks for the reminder.

Old 02-03-2017, 03:41 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Originally Posted by mtgriz
Was just thinking I want to revisit Bear Paw just south of Chinook, Mont. where Chief Joseph finally met defeat. It's probably been 30 years since my visit but sitting there reading Beal's book describing the scene around me is unforgettable. I suspect you've made that detour off US 2 on The Highline. Anyway, thanks for the reminder.
Your welcome. I have not been to the site, but been on 2 through the area.

Old 02-03-2017, 03:44 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

... Ok, working on summer plans already. Bought a new Electric vest, a battery tender and a Sadleman sissy bag. She will be going in for tires and a tune up in April. .... and seriously toying with a 4/5 month tour of Europe....

Old 02-06-2017, 01:06 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Mid winter battery and light check ..... ya, right eh?? Just needed to hear her heart beating again. Lol.

Old 02-06-2017, 09:26 PM
Poppawhiskey
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Rocky
Get much new snow in the last 2 days? I think Fernie was mostly lower slopes only today. Couldn't leave the valley if I wanted to; road closed both ways!

Definitely a good time for a Darla startup and light check, that and planning next summers trips. Enjoy. I look forward to reading more of the travels of Darla.

Cheers, Peter

Old 02-06-2017, 11:33 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Originally Posted by Poppawhiskey
Rocky
Get much new snow in the last 2 days? I think Fernie was mostly lower slopes only today. Couldn't leave the valley if I wanted to; road closed both ways!

Definitely a good time for a Darla startup and light check, that and planning next summers trips. Enjoy. I look forward to reading more of the travels of Darla.

Cheers, Peter
Peter, this was taken this morning .....

Quick Reply: The Journeys of Darla ....