Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

The Journeys of Darla ....

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2022, 01:39 PM
harleytq
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah I will have to call and make sure.
So Canada border services is who I want to call?

Old 04-14-2022, 02:21 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 21,699 Likes on 9,543 Posts

Originally Posted by harleytq
Yeah I will have to call and make sure.
So Canada border services is who I want to call?
Yeah those are the guys… It’s very convoluted… up until about four years ago it was five years… Because that’s how many years in prison you could get for a DUI… When they changed the charge, they change the prison term… To 10 years, which is what you can do in prison now for a DUI… Nobody gets that, unless you are a repeat offender or you kill somebody…

The following users liked this post:
harleytq (04-14-2022)
Old 04-15-2022, 02:38 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Here is the map... it starts in St Marrys, and ends in St Marrys... you can do it in either direction, and worthy both ways... I will go Counter Clockwise... You head up to the border at Chief Mountain... this is a nice road on a motorcycle... once you cross, you keep heading up towards Hwy 22 in Alberta, you can go into Waterton as a diversion, but it will add several hours to your days ride, because it is so damn beautiful, you will want to stay... If you are tenting, and decide to stay... put in long deep tent pegs... it is Windy there...

Once you head back north, you will be right beside the Rocky Mountains on Hwy 22 .. DONT go up 2... trust me on that...When you get to Longview, head west on 541, and ride through Peter Lougheed park... this is the highest paved Mountain Pass in Canada...Head towards Canmore, then Banff... The town of Banff is a tourist trap **** hole... Unless you are staying in the Banff Springs hotel... and that place is wonderful... I have stayed there... After Banff, find highway 1A, and run it to Highway 93... now you have a choice... towards Lake louise and Golden... which is a **** road, and under construction... or head south on 93 to Radium.. Go South Young Man... there are three grades, with the last one going down into Radium a spectacular motorcycle road... as you climb the last grade, stop at the look out, parking is on the left, the look out is on the right... take pictures...

It will be a long day if you went this far... so stay in Radium... lots of Motels to choose from...

Day two... head up towards Golden... a nice ride... lots of big sweepers... Golden is another **** hole... get gas and move on... and prepare to be on one hell of a busy road all the way to Revelstoke.... Once you are in Revelstoke... (a very worth side trip in Revelstoke, is to ride up the ViewPoint up Mt Revelstoke)... and across the bridge, you will head south towards Shelter Bay... and be prepared for one of the World Class bucket list motorcycle roads, all the way to Creston... two ferry's, twistys, big sweepers, little towns, a couple of huge lakes... and lots of opportunities to take pictures... after the second boat, look for the Dead Tree pull out... you will know it when you see it... make sure you take a picture at this place... This will be a very full day, and I am going to recommend to stay overnight in Creston... lots of nice motels, and some camping places if you choose...

Day three... after breakfast at Ricks Iron Kettle... off you go to Cranbrook... a nice 1 hour ride... then do the loop we already talked about... but when you get back t the highway after Ha Ha creek road, instead of heading to Cranny, head south to the border...

Cross the border, and as soon as you get to Eureka, head west down Hhy 37... and you can run it all the way to Libby, or do the Yaak loop... I have never done the Yaak loop, one of my regrets, and I do not know the road conditions, I hear it is paved, but has limited camber on the corners, and has some pot holes... perhaps someone who is reading this and has ridden it lately can pipe in... Once your in Libby, you can head towards Kalispel, but a better route would be to keep heading west for a bit... almost to Troy, and head south on 56... 56 is a very short road, but one of my favourites in the area... get down to 200... and head back east... as far a Thompson Falls... a good place to stay...

Day Four... keep heading east on 200... all the way to 93... you could take the shorter road, 28... but you will miss a very significant thing if you do... once you get to 93, and your heading North to Kalispel... stop in St Ignatius and visit the Church... it it said that it has some of the most beautiful murals in the world, and I can attest to that they are something worth visiting... once you get to Polson, stay to East Side of the Lake on hwy 35, a wonderful motorcycle road, and much nicer than on the West side of the lake... and you will end up in Columbia Falls... stay there overnight, and plan to spend the next day on The Going To The Sun Road...

A very strong recommendation from me... Ride the Sun Road, all the way to ST Marys Lake... and then turn around and ride back towards the West Gate.. The view both ways is spectacular... and worth spending the day there... Once you get back out the West end, ride East on Hwy 2, which a great motorcycle road in its own right...

One you are in Browning, head south on 89 and work your way to Great Falls... lots of Motels... I put this in for a four day trip... but if you do side trips, it could be 5, or maybe even 6... With the exception of the Yaak diversion, I have ridden all these roads... some of them Many, Many times...

the most congested part of the ride will be from Golden to Revelstoke... There are three lanes there... one going East, one Going West... and the centre one... for Albertan's going both East and West at the same time... watch yourself...

I could not get the Map Maker to go all the way... hence, the black line...The road must still be closed for the winter...

Old 04-15-2022, 03:02 PM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 7,213 Likes on 3,428 Posts

Originally Posted by CanadianRocky
...I could not get the Map Maker to go all the way... hence, the black line...The road must still be closed for the winter...
Yeah, Highway 40 through Kananaskis Country is closed until June 15th

CanadianRocky (04-15-2022)
Old 04-15-2022, 07:36 PM
harleytq
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow very nice thank you!
I’m super excited, hope we can make it cross the border.
If not, I hope this helps some other bikers with there adventures!
I will keep in touch, and keep watching your adventures.
We will probably have more questions if it’s a go.
Thanks again!

Old 04-15-2022, 07:49 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Originally Posted by harleytq
Wow very nice thank you!
I’m super excited, hope we can make it cross the border.
If not, I hope this helps some other bikers with there adventures!
I will keep in touch, and keep watching your adventures.
We will probably have more questions if it’s a go.
Thanks again!
if you can’t get across the border, I’ll give you another 5/6 Day Loop worthy…

harleytq (04-17-2022)
Old 04-15-2022, 07:52 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

… Well this is a bit interesting… I’m supposed to head back up to Cranbrook on Monday to do some work… But now the elevator in the building has gone Kaputski… So I’m gonna have to hang around for a while as my daughter can’t get up and down the stairs easy… By the time I’m ready to head back up to Cranbrook, it could be motorcycle weather in the mountains… Either the gods are conspiring to keep me in Langley, or they are conspiring to get me back on my motorcycle…

Old 04-16-2022, 04:55 PM
5wheels
Road Master
Received 416 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by CanadianRocky
… Well this is a bit interesting… I’m supposed to head back up to Cranbrook on Monday to do some work… But now the elevator in the building has gone Kaputski… So I’m gonna have to hang around for a while as my daughter can’t get up and down the stairs easy… By the time I’m ready to head back up to Cranbrook, it could be motorcycle weather in the mountains… Either the gods are conspiring to keep me in Langley, or they are conspiring to get me back on my motorcycle…
I vote back on the motorcycle.

The following 2 users liked this post by 5wheels:
CanadianRocky (04-16-2022), Scorpio09SG (04-17-2022)
Old 04-16-2022, 05:01 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Originally Posted by 5wheels
I vote back on the motorcycle.
… i am pondering a three week Rounder in early June… Vancouver to Pizmo beach on the PCH, NorthEast on back roads to Cranbrook… And then home…

The following 3 users liked this post by CanadianRocky:
5wheels (04-16-2022), Cosmic Razorback (04-17-2022), Scorpio09SG (04-17-2022)
Old 04-17-2022, 12:07 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Sunday morning Map Time before I go for a short day ride... It has been a while since I have smelled the sweet sage of the desert... and this is an idea I am working on... as I said, PCH down to Pismo Beach... over to Bakersfield, then towards Death Valley... and up... through the high deserts of Nevada... after that, if Hells Canyon is open, through there, and over to The Lolo, Missoula, and up to Cranny... Two or three days in the desert will do my Sinus's, as well as my Mental health, some good... Probably stop at the church in St Ignatius as I usually do... If I get up to the lookout at Hells Canyon, poke around and see if my knife is laying in the dirt somewhere...

... this runs me through Death Valley, the heart of the Great Basin of Nevada and into the High Desert of Oregon, Idaho and Nevada... Just me, my Harley and some Pink Floyd...

The following 2 users liked this post by CanadianRocky:
5wheels (04-18-2022), Cosmic Razorback (04-17-2022)

Quick Reply: The Journeys of Darla ....