Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

The Journeys of Darla ....

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2020, 08:31 PM
Steve Mac
Novice
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Last time I was in Jasper was 30 years ago, visiting the area on a month long exped with the British Military... fell in love with the area... knew there and then that I’d come over here to live someday... I need to get on the bike and ride up there... a real trip down memory lane. Cheers matey.

hope you got through the deluge alright, heck of a lot of flooding and washouts around here

stay well

Steve Mac.

The following users liked this post:
CanadianRocky (06-01-2020)
Old 06-01-2020, 09:06 PM
jeffro09
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,461 Likes on 1,313 Posts

As always, I love the pics, and the story. I just told the wife that I'm in great need of a week long ridecation, with or without her, before the end of the month. For now, I'm living vicariously through you.

CanadianRocky (06-01-2020)
Old 06-02-2020, 01:21 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 21,699 Likes on 9,543 Posts

A great ride home yesterday from Jasper... It started off cool, and got colder as I climbed into the mountains... It was 40 to 50 all day, except when I got back into the Trench at Radium, then the sun broke out and it warmed up nicely... The National Parks are closed up tight, except for the roads... Even Saskatchewan River Crossing was boarded up, but I think it will open up this month sometime, as well as all the campgrounds... It sprinkled off and on all the way, with few hard rain falls, but not enough for me to Suit-Up for it, I just slowed down and hid behind the window a bit more... I find the rain quit refreshing...

Stopped for Gas at Lake Louise, but that was it, not even for food... I took some snaky things with me... I took a break at the look out and ate there... There was a few construction sites, as they are repaving some of the Parkway and there was a Pilot car to get us through... almost NO traffic, and only saw a dozen Motorcycles all day long... There was one stretch in the Park where I was pretty much by myself for a good 30 miles.

About a half hour south of Jasper, looking back North...

... Same spot, looking south towards the Columbia Ice Fields..

... looking at the Ice-fields, the Tourist building is closed, as where all the washrooms... I did use one... lol...

... about 15 minutes south of the Ice-fields and on the way down the mountain, is one of the most spectacular views you can get anywhere...

... at the bottom of the hill, and before you get to the road in the picture above, is a big bend in the road...

... that has a spectacular view... the road on the right is heading towards Lake Louise... on the left it is heading back up the hill, and towards the Ice Fields...

... In Kootenay National park, about halfway between lake Louise and Radium...

... Back in the Rocky Mountain Trench, and just South of Fairmont Hot Springs is this look out over the Columbia lake... the Headwaters of the Columbia River... this is about 45 minutes from my home.

The following 5 users liked this post by CanadianRocky:
BTLorys (06-02-2020), Cosmic Razorback (06-13-2020), CrBear (06-13-2020), jeffro09 (06-02-2020), mtgriz (06-02-2020)
Old 06-02-2020, 04:44 PM
user 7172984932
Banned
Received 18,020 Likes on 9,230 Posts

Originally Posted by CanadianRocky
A great ride home yesterday from Jasper... It started off cool, and got colder as I climbed into the mountains... It was 40 to 50 all day, except when I got back into the Trench at Radium, then the sun broke out and it warmed up nicely... The National Parks are closed up tight, except for the roads... Even Saskatchewan River Crossing was boarded up, but I think it will open up this month sometime, as well as all the campgrounds... It sprinkled off and on all the way, with few hard rain falls, but not enough for me to Suit-Up for it, I just slowed down and hid behind the window a bit more... I find the rain quit refreshing...

Stopped for Gas at Lake Louise, but that was it, not even for food... I took some snaky things with me... I took a break at the look out and ate there... There was a few construction sites, as they are repaving some of the Parkway and there was a Pilot car to get us through... almost NO traffic, and only saw a dozen Motorcycles all day long... There was one stretch in the Park where I was pretty much by myself for a good 30 miles.

About a half hour south of Jasper, looking back North...

... Same spot, looking south towards the Columbia Ice Fields..

... looking at the Ice-fields, the Tourist building is closed, as where all the washrooms... I did use one... lol...

... about 15 minutes south of the Ice-fields and on the way down the mountain, is one of the most spectacular views you can get anywhere...

... at the bottom of the hill, and before you get to the road in the picture above, is a big bend in the road...

... that has a spectacular view... the road on the right is heading towards Lake Louise... on the left it is heading back up the hill, and towards the Ice Fields...

... In Kootenay National park, about halfway between lake Louise and Radium...

... Back in the Rocky Mountain Trench, and just South of Fairmont Hot Springs is this look out over the Columbia lake... the Headwaters of the Columbia River... this is about 45 minutes from my home.

Beautiful Rocky. Makes me miss BC and Canadian Rockies.
Several years ago wife and I celebrated our 20th by doing a 6 week camping trip through Rockies starting in Colorado and ending at Jasper. Trip of a lifetime.
I also spent 4 years In Vancouver BC working On Canadian Air Traffic Control System. After work Friday it was a trip across BC and Vancouver Island and interior to appreciate the beauty. Sometimes we would have a float plane take us to areas that were not accessible by auto.
Also several business trips to Ottawa Capitol and Montreal. And the major ATC Centers in Canada.
Great 4 year vacation. An experience of a lifetime.

Keep posting

The following 2 users liked this post by user 7172984932:
CanadianRocky (06-02-2020), Cosmic Razorback (06-13-2020)
Old 06-02-2020, 08:08 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,575 Likes on 1,969 Posts

Thanks for posting those pictures,so beautiful. Kim and I vacationed in Canmore,August 2011 on the bikes and again June 2012 in the Subaru. The first trip on the bikes we had great weather the second trip it was rainy and runoff was very high. We hiked along Lake Louise and I remember hearing the rocks coming down the cliffs and all the waterfalls from the rain and snow melt. We came home both times through Cranbrook so we could hit Glacier NP..

I sure hope we get to ride that country again.

Talked to some BC DOT guys here. The just replaced the bridge the year before and were worried it was going to get washed away.

Little walk bridge in a road side park I think.

Outhouse was closed then too.

CanadianRocky (06-02-2020)
Old 06-02-2020, 08:33 PM
jeffro09
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,461 Likes on 1,313 Posts

Lucky you Rocky, it was 90F here today, and not nearly as beautiful as where you were.

CanadianRocky (06-02-2020)
Old 06-07-2020, 10:04 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Originally Posted by jeffro09
Lucky you Rocky, it was 90F here today, and not nearly as beautiful as where you were.
yeah… That was a great run Jeff… I’m heading down to “The Beach“ in early July for a couple of weeks, i’m gonna go do some road hunting On the way down and back… And a little bit while I’m down there.

Old 06-12-2020, 08:02 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Well... any real trip south this year is unlikley... the border will be closed until the end of July... so I have decided to do a run inside of BC... West to Vancouver to visit with my daughter for 9 days... then over to Vancouver Island to visit my brother for several days... then up to Port Hardy, and take the Ferry to Prince Rupert... that is an overnight affair that leaves at 6 pm, and arrives at 4 pm the next day... Then stay in PR for a day or so, then head East to Prince George and visit my sister, and then south East, and towards home... It should be most of July, and fun... I have been on that boat once before about 25 years ago, but headed South... there will be lots of New road in the ride, and some I have not been on in over 30 years... I got my space booked on the boat, and an outside Cabin for the night (the last one they had, and I do not want to sleep in the lounge chairs)... the booking agent said there is no food service available yet, but by July that might change... I will take my own Coffee stuff just in case, and some snacky food if needed.... Here is a map... so I will be running the route ClockWise...

About 2,000 miles all in, with 300 miles of that on the water... Red Dots are targeted overnights... I might choose to stay at some of the Motels for more than one night.

The following 2 users liked this post by CanadianRocky:
Cosmic Razorback (06-13-2020), Steve Mac (06-13-2020)
Old 06-12-2020, 08:13 PM
1Canuck
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,439 Posts

Rocky, you should watch the news. There are already 50,000 signatures for a Canada invasion of the US started by the Daily Show and being supported by celebrities.

Meanwhile in BC. US residents are entering BC under the guise of driving to Alaska. Border is allowing the transit. The only reason it came up was someone was caught just visiting in Canada.

CanadianRocky (06-12-2020)
Old 06-12-2020, 08:13 PM
5wheels
Road Master
Received 416 Likes on 270 Posts

now that looks like fun

CanadianRocky (06-12-2020)

Quick Reply: The Journeys of Darla ....