Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

The Journeys of Darla ....

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 06:42 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by CanadianRocky
Just got into Missoula... you still here?
No.....had to ride back to Coeur d’Alene after putting up some shelving. Heading out southbound to the Escalante Staircase road later in the week and then back up to Missoula. Gotta keep moving in the north country as you know. Have a good ride on the Sun Road. Always enjoy your reports and pics.

The following users liked this post:
CanadianRocky (06-24-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 07:58 PM
CR3999
Road Captain
Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

Hey Rocky, I'm headed to Glacier myself. I leaving the 5th, should be up there the following Tuesday. Headed north via Joseph and Bear Tooth. Looking forward to the Sun road. I've rode all those roads before but you know how it is, I can't get enough. I'm spending a whole week at Glacier. I'll most likely spend one day in Waterton, Where's the best place to grab a bite and get a few drinks there. The last time I was there one of those roads were closed, do you know if it is open now. That was three years ago, the last time I was there.
Take care,

Old 06-24-2019, 09:42 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 21,700 Likes on 9,543 Posts

I haven’t been in Waterton in 20 years.... that time I was camping in a trailer... there’s a big Hotel there and a little downtown core. Unaware of any Road closures but find the Parks Canada site and there should be lots of info there.

CR3999 (06-27-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 02:39 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Out of the prairies and into the Rocky Mountains...

Just South of Browning

The following 5 users liked this post by CanadianRocky:
jeffro09 (06-27-2019), MajorKG (06-26-2019), MyFavRk (06-25-2019), soldierbot (06-25-2019), Vernal (06-25-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 11:26 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Home safe & sound.... full updates tomorrow, but here’s a taste....

Road To The Sun..... the view from the top, looking West.... No fires yet, so smoke free.

The following 8 users liked this post by CanadianRocky:
01dyna (06-26-2019), CR3999 (06-26-2019), crazytown (07-01-2019), jeffro09 (06-27-2019), MajorKG (06-26-2019), mtgriz (06-26-2019), MyFavRk (06-27-2019), soldierbot (06-26-2019) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-26-2019, 08:22 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Got lazy... I will update tomorrow but here is a taste....

South of Browning.... there was a heard of Cumulus moving across the Great Plains.... from horizon to horizon and as far North as you could see.

Last edited by CanadianRocky; 06-26-2019 at 08:26 PM.
Old 06-27-2019, 02:00 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Heading East out of Baker City is a very good road, lots of high speed sweepers, some tight corners and a moutain pass you have to get over. Just outside of Baker city is the Oregon Trail museum. I did not stop in this time but have in the past and it is worth the price of admission and the time to stop in. The road is a cell phone dead area, so it you want to check for messages you will need to do it in Richland, as that is the last Cell Phone spot you will be able to use all the way to Joseph... although sometimes you can get a signal right at the view point, but it is pretty weak.

One you get onto the NF-39 it gets twisty pretty quick, and stays like that all the way up to the Lookout road to the Hells Canyon viewpoint. You will want to take a lunch bread there if it fits your schedule... some outhouses and benches up there, and a tremendous view. Its not possible to see the river from up there, but you can see the valley it runs through and Idaho is just across the way a bit.

Once you head back down it gets twisty again and you go over another Pass..... now you have to watch out for rocks and potholes. This is not a quick road to ride down as you will need to keep your eyes peeled for them.

Up and sown some passes, over some bridges and lots of slow corners. some posted right down to 15 MPH. Out the the top end and onto Joseph. This is a good place to take a break, as there are several restaurants, and even a couple of great Motels. And if you are so inclined, Chief Joseph of the Nez Pierce is buried just a few minutes down the road.

Once you leave Joseph and head North, the road is pretty straight with a few sweepers here and there, all the way to the next look out... also a great place to stop and take some pictures.... this is where I had Lunch.... then once you leave in a few minutes you head down one of the best Motorcycle roads anywhere.... twisty and down a long grade. At the bottom there is a great little restaurant that makes wonderful Pie.... I have stopped there in the past and had some, but this time i kept on riding.... and then you climb back out of the valley, and head towards Rattlesnake pass.... and I think the North bit is even better than the south bit.... once off of the grade, it is flat for a bit, then you get another great piece of twisty all the way down the hill, and then into Lewiston.... there is a great HD shop in Lewiston, and lots of motels and restaurants.... and a pulp mill, so be prepared for a bit of an odor.

Baker City to Lewiston, or visa versa, is a very good days ride, as it will give you lots of time for stops and lunch along the way, and if you add in the Oregon Trail Interpretive Center, it will be a full day.

I stayed at the Bridge Street Inn in Baker City. It has been mostly redone and has a very good breakfast... a great Mom and Pop Motel. In Lewiston I stayed at the Cedars Inn, smells bad, very old and needs a refit, but cheap.... just not sure you should take your better half there.

Some Picts....

Just East of Baker City is a decent pass you climb up and down.....

... the entrance to the south end of the Hells Canyon Road... I am pretty sure this is the spot where I took out my rear wheel bearings the last time I went though....

... this is at the viewpoint, and looking east towards Idaho... the Snake River is down in the valley below...

... lots of twisty sections all the way though....

.... this on the way down towards the Grande Ronde River. I never took any pictures on the way back up, as there is almost no where to pull over that is not on a corner. When you go up and down these two grades, and if you want to stop for pictures, remember that all of the pullouts are gravel, so be cautious.

The following 4 users liked this post by CanadianRocky:
MajorKG (06-27-2019), mtgriz (06-27-2019), soldierbot (06-27-2019), Vernal (06-27-2019)
Old 06-27-2019, 02:13 PM
LJLKRL05
Tourer
Received 143 Likes on 92 Posts

Amazing views there! Thanks for sharing!

CanadianRocky (06-27-2019)
Old 06-27-2019, 02:56 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,575 Likes on 1,969 Posts

Thanks for the road report and pictures Rocky. Can't wait to start our trip to BC July 27. We are going to stay in Libby on the 28th and run up the east side of Koocanusa then over to Yaak and on to Kaslo via Moyie Springs and Crawford Bay. Have you Traveled the road from Koocanusa to Yaak? It sure looks nice on Google earth.
Bill

Old 06-27-2019, 03:15 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Originally Posted by Vernal
Thanks for the road report and pictures Rocky. Can't wait to start our trip to BC July 27. We are going to stay in Libby on the 28th and run up the east side of Koocanusa then over to Yaak and on to Kaslo via Moyie Springs and Crawford Bay. Have you Traveled the road from Koocanusa to Yaak? It sure looks nice on Google earth.
Bill
Bill, I have never done that bit.... but a few buddies of mine have. They say that it is not a particularly fast road, and to take your time.... I heard it has no lines painted on it, and there can be some potholes... I think probably not much different that the Hells Canyon road.

Quick Reply: The Journeys of Darla ....