Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

The Journeys of Darla ....

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 08:13 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 21,699 Likes on 9,543 Posts

The chores today and yesterday included fixing the throttle lock (I broke the one on it and replaced it with one for a 90's Fat Boy). I got a spare tire tube & borrowed a set of tire wrenches. Found the Master Link clip on the chain to make sure it actually had one ....Fine tuned the tool kit a bit more as well as the camping gear. I got one of those throttle cramp reducer thingys.

Me and my buddy poked around it a bit and checked some stuff out. She has points and condenser. The horn isn't working, but there is power to it, I will take it apart tomorrow.

The more I ride it, the better it runs and starts. Most often she is a one or two kick Pan.

Mostly packed. I loaded her up to check out the handling.

Old 09-01-2017, 10:09 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Nice project Rocky. Makes me think of the '84 red Softail I bought new in late '83. Liked to pack it up just like your Pan and with the more modern 4-speed Evo I put some happy miles on it. Look forward to hearing of yours.

Old 09-01-2017, 11:01 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Originally Posted by mtgriz
Nice project Rocky. Makes me think of the '84 red Softail I bought new in late '83. Liked to pack it up just like your Pan and with the more modern 4-speed Evo I put some happy miles on it. Look forward to hearing of yours.
It's been fun to poke around on it. I am working on the overall plan and want to get at it this winter.

I am a "Planner" so will be very methodical with every part, right down to every nut & bolt. I want the Sum to be greater than all the parts.

The following users liked this post:
5wheels (09-02-2017)
Old 09-02-2017, 09:31 AM
Onramp
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Man - looking at that rear tire reminds me of the joys of a chain.... I sure am enjoying following your travels and learning from your methods. Thank you for all of this.

Old 09-02-2017, 11:25 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Originally Posted by Onramp
Man - looking at that rear tire reminds me of the joys of a chain.... I sure am enjoying following your travels and learning from your methods. Thank you for all of this.
I am glad your enjoying it.

Today I am going to clean the white walls and then see how they look after the ride this weekend. I am not really that fond of the "Gangsters" and would prefer a narrower white wall.

The other thing I might try is drill out the very edge of foot pegs and run a Bolt through them to give something my boots can rest against. If it works it will be a bit more relaxed ride for my oh so short legs. The bag on the rear seat pushes me forward a bit; and that also helps me with the reach.

Last edited by CanadianRocky; 09-02-2017 at 11:27 AM.
Old 09-02-2017, 02:00 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

My own personal Crime Wave action ...... cleaning up the Gangsters..... I didn't need the RCMP or The FBI. Just a can of TS2 tire cleaner , a small scrub brush and a bit of Elbow Grease.....

Old 09-02-2017, 05:23 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

The East Kootenays, which is where I live, has a complete backcountry ban due to extreme forest fire hazard. The mountains are not visible. There are currently several larger fires in very close proximity to Cranbrook.

I suggest heading over to the West Kootenays if you are traveling in the area.

Cranbrook is just below the white 95A sign.

Old 09-02-2017, 08:09 PM
68 XLCH
Road Warrior
Received 151 Likes on 131 Posts

Sparkling, dazzeling looks great.
Whitewalls on the deluxe, heritage and that panhead. Nice.

Earlier post about getting out of sequence on the start, can't do that without suffering the consequences.

My 68 sportster, in 68, no battery, magneto, retard the spark, push the kiick start thru, then full choke, kick it, half choke, kick it and hopefully it starts, advance the spark.

Oh i've strayed and paid for it.

When i use to be a real biker. lol

Old 09-02-2017, 08:27 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Originally Posted by 68 XLCH

Sparkling, dazzeling looks great.
Whitewalls on the deluxe, heritage and that panhead. Nice.

Earlier post about getting out of sequence on the start, can't do that without suffering the consequences.

My 68 sportster, in 68, no battery, magneto, retard the spark, push the kiick start thru, then full choke, kick it, half choke, kick it and hopefully it starts, advance the spark.

Oh i've strayed and paid for it.

When i use to be a real biker. lol
Folks use to say you could always tell an Iron head Sportster owner ..... they either had a right leg twice the size of their left leg .... or they lived at the top of a hill....

I have the Pan down to this. When cold... three prime, no choke ....ignition on, choke on, two kicks .... When warmed up, but off for an hour or more, the same thing .... when off for just a few minutes... we'll, it's a crap shoot. ... but often as not, two prime, choke on, one kick.

I had her down at the HD shop today, and there was a crowd of travlers .... one prime, choke; one kick ..... lots of "Holy Crap" looks ....

A one kick Pan.... can't beat that with a stick.

Last edited by CanadianRocky; 09-02-2017 at 08:29 PM.
Old 09-02-2017, 08:46 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

300 mile rounder over the next two days ..... 1/2 of it on Kootenay Lake Road... riding a 1952 Panhead Chopper ..... Bluetooth headphones are dialed into my Cell, with StepenWolfs "The Pusher" spooled up and ready to rock....

I feel like an 8 year old on Christmas Eve!!

Quick Reply: The Journeys of Darla ....