Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

The Journeys of Darla ....

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 08:21 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 21,687 Likes on 9,539 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffro09
My bike wanted to be like Darla today....
....in the corn??....lol

Old 07-27-2017, 09:50 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Okie Dokie.... So, I left in Joseph after giving my respects to Chief Joseph, and made my way to Enterprise, got fuel and lunch, went out to the info board on the west end of town and started to make my way up towards the next stop, which is about 30 minutes North. There is a big pull out there that I always stop at. When I pulled in, there was a loud banging noise on the right side of the bike towards the back. I was making a tight right turn. I stopped for a moment and then continued on, making the tight right turn. And this time there was a smaller pop. .... oh oh....

So, I pulled up, shut down the bike and started to take the ride pannier off. And then the bugs came.... thousands of litttle flies..... and that made it a lousy place to do a bit of troubleshooting. I pulled the panniers off, and started to feel around the back end of the bike, everything looked tight. But the bugs where so think, i just popped the pannier back on and got out of there.

The ride down into the valley bottom starts just after and i started down. I notice a few more pops going down to the bottom. If you have not been down and up the valley, it is full of 25 mph turns and switchbacks and I went down very slow. Once on the bottom I started back up the North side, which I think is twistier. I noticed the binding again, and more of it. So I went up very slowly so I would not be leaning over very much. I got to the top and continued on now that I was running straight, but I heard it again.

I had thought about running to the Harley dealer, but changed my mind and found a spot to pull over that had two bars on the phone.

I called HOG, and they said it would be an hour or so, it ended up being about 2. The wrecker driver was busy. I also called the Harley Dealer in Lewiston, and said I was on my way in as soon as I got loaded up. That was actually a good call, because he was expecting me. I went over what I had heard, and he immediately said it sounded like a rear wheel bearing.... he was absolutely right.

After the wrecker got there, we loaded up. He had the right tools and made it easy. I rode into town with him and he dropped us off at the HD shop. I unloaded the bike and they took it inside immediately. I was thinking I would be happy if they just got it in sometime today just to look at it.

Now, I would like to say that the towing company guy was great. He came with the right tools, and loaded up the bike in a most professional manner. Also, he was a great guy, and a Harley rider. So is his boss.

The Harley shop was phenomenal. The went out of their way to get me in, sort out what it was, and then got it done. The even "borrowed" parts to get it done. I was in and out of the shop in about 3 hrs. They have a great crew. I got to talk to the Manager, the parts Manager and the service Manager. Plus lots of other people in the place. I would highly recommend this shop to anyone either traveling through or local.

The tow was notta, and the entire repair was under warranty, so was $00.00. I bought a T-shirt because I was feeling poorly....

The following users liked this post:
jeffro09 (07-28-2017)
Old 07-27-2017, 09:53 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

The Tech & Service Writer

Old 07-27-2017, 09:57 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
jeffro09 (07-28-2017)
Old 07-27-2017, 10:05 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Tomorrow I will continue on the Journey. Not sure how far I will go. I might have to pop back up to work for a day if something needs the Pres's signature. Not sure about that yet.

Old 07-27-2017, 10:14 PM
lmar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,073 Likes on 2,055 Posts

Originally Posted by CanadianRocky2
Just started making a binding noise. So I stopped when safe..... did NOT use the brakes to slow down, then just the front one to stop when I was at a crawl. Front brake was cool. Rear one so hot I couldn't touch it.

Service guy thinks it might be a wheel bearing.
Crap!! I'm glad you were able to stop safely.

I was away all day and just came back home. Catching up on your day of riding. I'll keep reading from page 117 to find out more.

Old 07-27-2017, 10:22 PM
5wheels
Road Master
Received 416 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by CanadianRocky2

Fixed and parked. Update after I eat.
Good to hear you are back on the road. Had a sensor problem on my Sportster a few years back while traveling in Florida, Chrystal River HD had me back on the road in less than an hour.

Old 07-27-2017, 10:43 PM
tomve
Tourer
Received 185 Likes on 111 Posts

I'm glad it all worked out for you!

Old 07-27-2017, 10:46 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Originally Posted by tomve
I'm glad it all worked out for you!
Thanks. It was an eventful day. All part of "The Journey" as my good buddy Mark pointed out.

tomve (07-28-2017)
Old 07-27-2017, 10:48 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

It was about 100 degrees up on the plateau today ..... or as they say in Sarnia, 75 degrees with a bit of humidity ......lol

Quick Reply: The Journeys of Darla ....