Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

West Texas to Las Vegas

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 11:52 PM
booch
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Default West Texas to Las Vegas

Im heading south from Toronto area mid April to the Gulf (Pensacola area) and across,my final destination is Las Vegas for a Club patch in.
From Galveston area to Vegas, what are the best areas to see and ride?
I'm leaning towards hugging the border, Laredo, Del Rio then up to Roswell or maybe El Paso to 191
From Galveston I will have approx 3-5 days to reach Vegas depending on when I leave. 10-12 hour days don't bother me.
From Vegas home I think my route will be limited by weather since it could still be winter through Utah and Colorado mountains but I really want to see Moab, Arches etc.
Any and all local advice appreciated.

Old 03-23-2016, 09:14 AM
fxdxruss
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hill country is nice, search the three sisters rides. Eastern New Mexico is nice. I herd that the bisbee are has some nice roads. 89a in Arizona from Sedona up to Flagstaff is a nice road.

Road

Old 03-24-2016, 11:06 AM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,305 Likes on 1,344 Posts

As this may be a one time chance I will recommend that from Galveston, get to Az. as quick as possible. NM is nice, but April is a little early to enjoy the good rides in NM. Get to Silver City, NM. From here get over into Az. and ride north on US 191 up to Eager. One of the great rides in the US. Spend the nite in Show Low. Then take US 60 south through the Salt River Canyon. This will let you end up around Phoenix. Ride up to Prescott, Az and then catch 89A north. This will take you through Jerome. Jerome is an old mining town that is interesting. Spend the nite in Sedona. Sunrise and sunset in Sedona is incredible. Then north on 89 through Oak Canyon up to Flagstaff, up to the Grand Canyon. Then maybe ride a little of Route 66 west of Flagstaff on the way to Vegas. I know that I didn't give detailed instructions, but looking at a road map of Arizona it will be clear what I'm talking of.

I would encourage you to haul *** across West Texas to get to Az. Probably I 10 to El Paso. Don't even stop for gas or to pee. Just to much superior riding in Az. this time of year.

I also would suggest forget riding along the border. Just a boring ride. I would even skip the Big Bend area to allot more time in Az.

Last edited by jmorganroadglide; 03-24-2016 at 11:22 AM.
The following users liked this post:
loopy (03-25-2016)
Old 03-24-2016, 04:47 PM
keith_stepp
Banned
Received 1,505 Likes on 1,077 Posts

Just watch the forecast if you plan on riding in the high country in AZ. This time of year is hard to predict and you could very easily run into snow in places like Alpine and Show Low.

Old 03-25-2016, 01:03 PM
loopy
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Texas to Las Vegas

Originally Posted by jmorganroadglide
As this may be a one time chance I will recommend that from Galveston, get to Az. as quick as possible. NM is nice, but April is a little early to enjoy the good rides in NM. Get to Silver City, NM. From here get over into Az. and ride north on US 191 up to Eager. One of the great rides in the US. Spend the nite in Show Low. Then take US 60 south through the Salt River Canyon. This will let you end up around Phoenix. Ride up to Prescott, Az and then catch 89A north. This will take you through Jerome. Jerome is an old mining town that is interesting. Spend the nite in Sedona. Sunrise and sunset in Sedona is incredible. Then north on 89 through Oak Canyon up to Flagstaff, up to the Grand Canyon. Then maybe ride a little of Route 66 west of Flagstaff on the way to Vegas. I know that I didn't give detailed instructions, but looking at a road map of Arizona it will be clear what I'm talking of.

I would encourage you to haul *** across West Texas to get to Az. Probably I 10 to El Paso. Don't even stop for gas or to pee. Just to much superior riding in Az. this time of year.

I also would suggest forget riding along the border. Just a boring ride. I would even skip the Big Bend area to allot more time in Az.
Great info for us. Were leaving Clearwater, Florida on the 4th of April to New Orleans, San Antonio. We were going to Big Bend but now re-considering. from Vegas heading to Death Valley, Napa and from there not sure.
Appreciate your info.

Thanks

Old 03-25-2016, 02:19 PM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,305 Likes on 1,344 Posts

Your welcome Loopy. Big Bend is nice, but Az. is unique in its beauty. Keith can probably give you many more ideas.

Old 03-25-2016, 02:55 PM
MysticTraveler
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Red rock country around Sedona & Jerome, AZ is really nice!

Old 03-25-2016, 03:26 PM
booch
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for all the tips.
It confirms some of my worries about the weather at the higher elevations.
As it gets closer and once I'm down there I will just play it day to day according to forecasts.
Im not too worried about snow when I do Death Valley.

Old 03-25-2016, 03:45 PM
keith_stepp
Banned
Received 1,505 Likes on 1,077 Posts

Originally Posted by booch
Im not too worried about snow when I do Death Valley.
I was in DV a couple of years ago in April... froze my azz off. I understand they had a great wild flower season this year though. They are rare and I am sorry I wasn't able to get free and get back. There are parts of the park I did not get to see and I really want to get back. One of my favorite shots...

Old 03-26-2016, 10:48 PM
fxdxruss
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Booch

Check the roads that are open in the park, I believe the southern entrance from Shoshone is closed.

Russ

Quick Reply: West Texas to Las Vegas