Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

West Texas to Las Vegas

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 01:08 PM
boulderbean
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From Galveston figure out a way to get to Columbus TX.
From Columbus take 71 to Brady TX.
Brady to Big Spring TX on 87.
Continue on 87 to 380.
380 into NM, continue to San Antonio NM, near Socorro.
-Very little interstate but fairly fast moving highways across west Texas, could get bogged down near Austin depending on the day of the week and time of day.

Socorro, NM to Show Low or maybe Payson AZ on US 60.
-check out the Very Large Array, you will pass right through it, http://www.vla.nrao.edu
-have a piece of pie in Pie Town NM, http://www.pietown.com

From Show Low there are a couple of options to get to Vegas - Jerome and Prescott are interesting and good riding and a way you get over to Seligman to hit Rt 66.

Good luck

Old 04-03-2016, 10:23 PM
KyBourbon
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Agree with the poster who said blast through TX as fast as possible. Lived in Del Rio, the border isn't interesting IMO. I've done Hill Country and done the 3 sisters rides. Riding any of the mountain roads out west make Hill Country forgettable.

Old 04-04-2016, 09:43 AM
fxdxruss
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Route

Hello
If your going to ride across Texas might as well get some enjoyment out of it. Hill Country has its own beauty. No it's not a mountain region. He se the name Hill Country. I10 plane *** sucks, but it's fast if you want to get to NM. Can't comment on border area. Have a nice trip. Some of the other suggestions sound nice.
Russ

Old 04-04-2016, 09:16 PM
Indy Road Dog
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Hit a couple great West Texas roads...FM170 along the Rio Grande. Spend some time in Terlingua...slow down and walk around there a bit. Also there is a nice loop through the Davis Mountains that is worthy. In Alpine stop at Harry's Tinaja for a beer and the Reata for lunch or dinner...excellent food. In NM, if you run towards Silver City, take NM152...Beautiful MC road. If you get over to Tucson, the road up Mt Lemmon is another great ride.

Old 04-18-2016, 03:07 PM
dang_jayhawker
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trip Report

Booch, how was the ride?

Old 04-22-2016, 12:08 AM
clayguy
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default West Texas to Lost Wages

Originally Posted by booch
Im heading south from Toronto area mid April to the Gulf (Pensacola area) and across,my final destination is Las Vegas for a Club patch in.
From Galveston area to Vegas, what are the best areas to see and ride?
I'm leaning towards hugging the border, Laredo, Del Rio then up to Roswell or maybe El Paso to 191
From Galveston I will have approx 3-5 days to reach Vegas depending on when I leave. 10-12 hour days don't bother me.
From Vegas home I think my route will be limited by weather since it could still be winter through Utah and Colorado mountains but I really want to see Moab, Arches etc.
Any and all local advice appreciated.
You are correct. We just had a big snowstorm in CO. Stay out of the mountains until late May, early June, just depending on weather forecast. Moab will be no problem, nice time of year there.