Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Advice on most scenic route from San Fran to TN

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 04:35 PM
ROUNDHEAD
Road Master
Received 171 Likes on 123 Posts

I think it is a great idea to help deal with your loss.

Absolutely nothing better than a open road on a bike to work out things.

I would take a northern route and try to go through WY and Montana if you can. The mountains have a certain spirituality about them that can soothe the soul.

With that much time, you can wait out the weather and see most of what their is to see.

I wish you well and hope to hear from your travels.

Old 03-12-2016, 07:55 PM
traffic jam
Road Warrior
Received 691 Likes on 303 Posts

I am so sorry about your loss. I hope this trip will be healing and wonderful for you.

The Utah national parks can all be done in what is called, "The Grand Circle" tour. There are many places on the 'net that give routes, hotels, etc.

I'd also see the Garden of the Gods in Colorado, then take US highway 50 across the country. There's a great site called "Road Trip USA" which has great American road trips, you may enjoy that.

Good luck and keep us informed re how your trip is going, coming together, where you've decided to go, etc.

Old 03-13-2016, 10:18 PM
lewis9781
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my first Harley-Davidson after my father passed away suddenly many years ago. Riding helped me to live a halfway normal life while I adjusted to the loss. This ride will help you heal.

Many have suggested great places to see, and great routes to take. I myself would choose a northerly route, but I would also wish for ten years and an unlimited budget to see them all. But whatever route you might choose, consider first making a list of your "must-see" places then connect the dots with two lane highways where you can. These miles between the dots will fill themselves with new places to see and new friends to make. The interstates are expedient, but cold, lifeless arteries to be endured out of necessity. Let your curiosity lead you. Take a side road to that museum, that state park, that national monument. Big daily mileage counts to the people in the Iron Butt Club (with all due respect to those Herculean riders). Ride until you are tired then stop for the day. Take good rain gear, too!

Avoid riding at night unless you absolutely, positively HAVE to get there. We don't see as well at night, there are animals out and about, tired/sleepy/drunk drivers, and you can't enjoy the view of the countryside.

Take as many photos as you can, with a few selfies for posterity in there, too. Keep a dairy, or a daily journal. May not seem the thing to do at the time, but you'll appreciate it later. Post to Facebook as you go. Your riding buddies back home will be envious!

Good luck!

Last edited by lewis9781; 03-13-2016 at 10:42 PM. Reason: edited for content.
Old 03-13-2016, 10:20 PM
lewis9781
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

*Double post deleted*

Last edited by lewis9781; 03-13-2016 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Double Post