Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

"Other bike" riders

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 04:18 PM
davedyna
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Most folk in NH will give a wave but not on bike week. We usually wave (wife and I) until we get within 45 min of Laconia/Weirs area (we live 1.5 hours away) then give it a break as we know that about one in ten will wave, if that. We used to count just for laughs. That being said, having a couple hundred thousand riders around our little state could cause one to do nothing but wave on good ride days. You wave to me, you will definitely get one in return from the wife or myself. I may look a bit like a Land Pirate but certainly no poser and we love to say hello. I am assuming poser equates to someone who has the big flashy bike (any make) and the 1%er type of dress up but ride some minuscule amount while pretending to be riders of the world?? There is another set of definitions for the list above. Poser, Biker... :-) Probably written in a forum somewhere here I reckon. Now about that Sportster/Dyna rider who will be moving up to a tour bike, hah, never happens :-)

Old 03-18-2016, 06:33 PM
Papa G
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 312 Likes on 302 Posts

We(wife and I) live in Daytona Beach and have noticed that an "event" will cause a serious lack of waving. Just write it off to unfamiliarity with roads and at bike week we know some have not ridden much and are reacquainting themselves and their bikes. I try to wave to all riders, as I feel as though I am a friendly person. However, usually wait for "crotch rockets" to wave first.

Old 03-19-2016, 07:19 AM
BigWaterJim
Road Warrior
Received 152 Likes on 127 Posts

I wave or don't wave depending on the amount of bikers, Bike Weeks I do sometimes out of habit but like stated you can wave every 45 seconds it get old. I wave to all bikes except two wheels in front. Have been embarked by waving at a scooter or two. :icon_flamethrow :

Old 03-24-2016, 04:53 PM
keith_stepp
Banned
Received 1,505 Likes on 1,077 Posts

Originally Posted by sharkey
After 30 states and a handful of provinces we seem to notice certain general characteristics of riders on different bikes we've met on the road. BMW's are often aloof older guys with goatees, Gold Wings carry big couples and we don't often see Wings or FLH's on remote 2-lane roads. Met a handful of hipsters on Sportsters in WA; very cool bunch of youngins... I know it's not right to generalize, but are we somewhat correct?
Nope.

Old 03-29-2016, 09:02 PM
Drair
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BigDogIdaho
I've noticed a lot of BMW riders who don't sit. They stand on their pegs...guess the seats aren't very comfortable.
Most sport bike riders don't wave, even when the other rider initiates the wave.

Old 03-30-2016, 09:07 AM
Drair
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BigWaterJim
I wave to all bikes except two wheels in front. Have been embarked by waving at a scooter or two. :icon_flamethrow :
So, no 2 wheels in front, no scooters, what else? I'm guessing no people in Hi-Viz, no bikes with modulators, guys without helmets (or guys with helmets), and...