Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

"Other bike" riders

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 05:57 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 139 Likes on 116 Posts

It is weird how different riders react to riders on other makes/types of bikes. When I
rode my ninja Harley/wing/cruiser riders seem aloof, and bmw/sport-tourers were friendly. On the dual-sport most everyone is friendly. On the Harley a lot of other make/type riders are aloof but more non-riders are friendly? I can't figure out why my buddies laugh at my electric bicycle...

Last edited by 0ldhippie; 03-06-2016 at 06:09 PM.
Old 03-07-2016, 10:00 AM
robertwy
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 0ldhippie

It is weird how different riders react to riders on other makes/types of bikes. When I
rode my ninja Harley/wing/cruiser riders seem aloof, and bmw/sport-tourers were friendly. On the dual-sport most everyone is friendly. On the Harley a lot of other make/type riders are aloof but more non-riders are friendly? I can't figure out why my buddies laugh at my electric bicycle...
I like your bike. What brand is it?

Old 03-07-2016, 02:02 PM
davedyna
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Had to laugh a bit since I am the "getting" older guy with the goatee on a FLH on the two lane roads (as well as most other roads). I also ride a Dyna and a Sportster. I have found that 90% of all folks are nice, willing to engage in conversation or a wave, though as bagger indicated, some keep it short and sweet, cool with me. I have met douchebags on every single type of ride and especially on Harley's, not so much aimed at me but at non Harley riders. This in turn, leads those not on Harleys to distrust a bit at first when engaged in conversation. I have talked to many folks on BMW tour bikes while touring ourselves and I cannot think of one that was an *******. Personally, I don't care what you are riding (even electric bikes :-) ) I will give ya a nod or wave and will say hi to all. Life's too short to be a dick.

Old 03-07-2016, 04:11 PM
Hazzardousmat
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by davedyna
Had to laugh a bit since I am the "getting" older guy with the goatee on a FLH on the two lane roads (as well as most other roads). I also ride a Dyna and a Sportster. I have found that 90% of all folks are nice, willing to engage in conversation or a wave, though as bagger indicated, some keep it short and sweet, cool with me. I have met douchebags on every single type of ride and especially on Harley's, not so much aimed at me but at non Harley riders. This in turn, leads those not on Harleys to distrust a bit at first when engaged in conversation. I have talked to many folks on BMW tour bikes while touring ourselves and I cannot think of one that was an *******. Personally, I don't care what you are riding (even electric bikes :-) ) I will give ya a nod or wave and will say hi to all. Life's too short to be a dick.
Agree, I'm the same way. However the last Victory rider I ran across was in the Kroger parking lot. I complimented him on the nice red and gold colors of his bike and he responded with "It will outrun any F N Harley"...... While this is the first time I got a response from a Victory rider I wanted to tell him at least Harley riders are not A holes. Never seen anything courtious from a Victory rider. Not one.

Old 03-07-2016, 04:52 PM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,498 Likes on 1,076 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazzardousmat
Never seen anything courtious from a Victory rider. Not one.
You have to understand their rage....
At some point they realized that they are making payments on one of the ugliest motorcycles ever built.

The following users liked this post:
Whiskers (03-18-2016)
Old 03-07-2016, 07:07 PM
slapshot12
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

Here in FL, don't forget the Canadian blue hairs on rolling snowmobiles...Can Am's. They seem to be as clueless on 3 wheels as they are in a car.

For the most part, if you ride, you ride. I don't care what you ride, but don't be a *****.

Old 03-09-2016, 11:03 AM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 139 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by robertwy
I like your bike. What brand is it?
Specialized 29" hard rock with 8fun mid drive 750 watt kit and 48 volt battery pack. Only got 500 miles on it but love it!

Old 03-09-2016, 03:08 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,695 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Generalizations suck, unless you are a TSA agent.
The Beemers I have met tend to be friendly, if a somewhat closed bunch. Usually 3 in a group. They are well to do, want the best experience as quick as possible. They developed the term "Millennials".
The Metric riders I have met tend to be some of the nicest riders on the road. Many have become road warrior friends. They migrate to other metrics, Vics and Harleys, but always are Metric friendly.
The sport bike riders I have met are too young and too stupid to waste time talking to.
The sportster riders I have met are divided into two camps, Newbies and cash poor riders, or simply sportster fanatics. I like both groups.
The Dyna and Softtail riders (except Heritage) I meet will all end up on a touring bike, so I grant them their freedom for now.
Any woman I meet on any motorcycle is cool.
The Triumph riders I met were a class into themselves. I sold my Triumph Bonneville T100 because I did not want to be associated with those guys. Not bad or mean, just a waste of time.
The Moto guzzi/Ural guys I meet are fun, Interesting, doing great things and well adjusted.
The Indian riders I have met...oh,I have not met any. I do not count the three ******** at the Buffalo Chip as representative of any riding group.
The 1% I have met have been friendly and always tried to sell me something. This is always in really remote places, not their backyard where I am sure they would just kill me.
The posers I have met, all Harley owners, are as diverse a group as anywhere on the Universe. But it that group, some gain road experience and become fellow riders. Some are bikers, either real or imagined, some are escape artists, getting a bit of sanity in a total insane world.
My friends...mostly ride Harley's, but not all. They know the way of the road and they know when to help. They also know that when the underwear is on the door ****, to give us at least another 45 minutes. They have handled breakdowns on the road as a team, doing what is necessary to deal with the issue, be it a broken linkage, a flat tire, a broken foot, or worse.
For BMW's, airheads are exempted from any previous comments, as is anyone else who is riding a motorcycle built before the 1990's. Special appreciation is awarded those on bikes built prior to 1980 and the 1960's and 70's rule.

The following 4 users liked this post by son of the hounds:
Hraefn (03-12-2016), Randol (11-10-2020), scooter1128 (03-12-2016), SWMB (03-09-2016)
Old 03-10-2016, 10:31 AM
Joe Mc
Banned
Received 230 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by son of the hounds
Generalizations suck, unless you are a TSA agent.
The Beemers I have met tend to be friendly, if a somewhat closed bunch. Usually 3 in a group. They are well to do, want the best experience as quick as possible. They developed the term "Millennials".
The Metric riders I have met tend to be some of the nicest riders on the road. Many have become road warrior friends. They migrate to other metrics, Vics and Harleys, but always are Metric friendly.
The sport bike riders I have met are too young and too stupid to waste time talking to.
The sportster riders I have met are divided into two camps, Newbies and cash poor riders, or simply sportster fanatics. I like both groups.
The Dyna and Softtail riders (except Heritage) I meet will all end up on a touring bike, so I grant them their freedom for now.
Any woman I meet on any motorcycle is cool.
The Triumph riders I met were a class into themselves. I sold my Triumph Bonneville T100 because I did not want to be associated with those guys. Not bad or mean, just a waste of time.
The Moto guzzi/Ural guys I meet are fun, Interesting, doing great things and well adjusted.
The Indian riders I have met...oh,I have not met any. I do not count the three ******** at the Buffalo Chip as representative of any riding group.
The 1% I have met have been friendly and always tried to sell me something. This is always in really remote places, not their backyard where I am sure they would just kill me.
The posers I have met, all Harley owners, are as diverse a group as anywhere on the Universe. But it that group, some gain road experience and become fellow riders. Some are bikers, either real or imagined, some are escape artists, getting a bit of sanity in a total insane world.
My friends...mostly ride Harley's, but not all. They know the way of the road and they know when to help. They also know that when the underwear is on the door ****, to give us at least another 45 minutes. They have handled breakdowns on the road as a team, doing what is necessary to deal with the issue, be it a broken linkage, a flat tire, a broken foot, or worse.
For BMW's, airheads are exempted from any previous comments, as is anyone else who is riding a motorcycle built before the 1990's. Special appreciation is awarded those on bikes built prior to 1980 and the 1960's and 70's rule.
Hey SOH you say "generalizations suck" yet you yourself have generalized in the brands/models you have compartmentalized. As an example you state "The Dyna and Softtail riders (except Heritage) I meet will all end up on a touring bike,". That is a generalized statement. I will use myself as an example. I have ridden nothing but Dynas and Softails (except Heritage) for the past 35 years. I currently have a 1995 FXSTC which I have owned since new and have been all over the USA with forays in to Canada and Mexico. I'm sure there are others who also ride Dynas and Softails and are quite comfortable on them. I take all riders on an individual basis and if the majority of them cop an attitude of superiority or some other such trait they go in to the general category but not all belong in that category. There is no better way to see this country than on a motorcycle and your conduct will determine whether or not you belong in a category. There is a reason for stereotypes and I personally try to transcend them.

Old 03-10-2016, 12:34 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,695 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Mc
Hey SOH you say "generalizations suck" yet you yourself have generalized in the brands/models you have compartmentalized. As an example you state "The Dyna and Softtail riders (except Heritage) I meet will all end up on a touring bike,". That is a generalized statement. I will use myself as an example. I have ridden nothing but Dynas and Softails (except Heritage) for the past 35 years. I currently have a 1995 FXSTC which I have owned since new and have been all over the USA with forays in to Canada and Mexico. I'm sure there are others who also ride Dynas and Softails and are quite comfortable on them. I take all riders on an individual basis and if the majority of them cop an attitude of superiority or some other such trait they go in to the general category but not all belong in that category. There is no better way to see this country than on a motorcycle and your conduct will determine whether or not you belong in a category. There is a reason for stereotypes and I personally try to transcend them.
Yes, my tongue was firmly in my cheek and my best friend rides a Super Glide.

Quick Reply: "Other bike" riders