Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

"Other bike" riders

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 07:46 PM
Wander
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Last August my buddy and I were on our last day of a 8 day ride to Mecca (Milwaukee) and pulled into a remote gas stop in Northern Ontario when 2 young guys on BMWs pulled in coming from the other direction. As we peeled off our rain gear after finally getting out from under a huge storm system that soaked us to the bone they completely ignored us and stood 8 ft away and bitched about the nice weather they had so far that morning. We attempted to engage them in the traditional "where u been, where u goin" and just received the aforementioned aloofness/disdain from them both. They left the stop before we did and we shook our heads at the fact that their day was going to get brutal due to a combination of garbage weather and over a hundred miles of road construction. A civil conversation could have led them to a different route that may have salvaged what had no doubt in my mind resulted in a terrible day.

The following users liked this post:
Randol (11-10-2020)
Old 03-05-2016, 07:47 PM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,498 Likes on 1,076 Posts

I generally get along with sport bike riders because they "get" the style of bike that I ride.
Gold Wing and trike riders are in a whole different world and I just ignore them for the most part.
Every time I engage a BMW guy in conversation, I wonder why I even bother to talk to them....Smug, snotty ****** on ugly motorcycles.

Having said that, I really don't like most modern day Harley douchebags either...Just 'cause you have a Harley doesn't make you my "bro".

The following users liked this post:
Randol (11-10-2020)
Old 03-05-2016, 09:48 PM
graygoat
Road Master
Received 223 Likes on 187 Posts

Looks like I should shave my goatee and get rid of my Tri............................

NOT

but I will wave and talk to you!

Old 03-05-2016, 09:58 PM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by SixDD
I haven't really noticed because I'm usually not paying that much attention, probably because I don't give a **** about who's riding what.
You would be the one that returns a wave with a finger then?

Old 03-05-2016, 10:15 PM
mykaos
Advanced
Received 30 Likes on 12 Posts

Finding this thread is perfect timing. Today: pull into a gas stop. Guy on the other side of the pump from me is on a Kawi clone. Not my choice of a bike, but his was really nice looking. Take off my helmet, getting ready to fill up, give him a genuine complement. He just gives me a stupid look. I'm thinking, ok, whatever stupid. Continue about my business. I'll add in here, I'm discovering Vic owners tend to be some of the most arrogant POS's. I also "had" what I thought was a good friend that used to be a Wing rider. He got out of riding after I bought his last GL1500 from him, in addition to the GL1100 I had bought from him prior. Called him up, all excited about buying this one. He proceeded to continually dog my choice for about 10 minutes. Called it everything but a bike. I spent about, oh, 2 minutes attempting to get him up to speed on Harley's changes in the last 10 years. Ended up taking the "other road" and politely ended the conversation. I'm done. I'm done not w/ just him but anyone else that wants to talk smack, act like a tool, look at me like I'm a idiot (even tho I maybe ) when I wave or nod "hi" or otherwise attempt to engage in a friendly manner when out riding.
I made my choice because it's what "I" wanted and for a change, I didn't have to "settle" due to $$. I have had to "settle" prior, but it was still my pride and joy, "I" brought it back from dead. That being said, I don't look down on anyone riding whatever they are. I don't know their situation, what I do know is at least they are riding.
In the end, for me, it's about the ride, not what you are riding. I'll ride w/ you no matter what brand "you" choose. Just be able to keep up...

Old 03-06-2016, 09:59 AM
Cummins man
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wander
Last August my buddy and I were on our last day of a 8 day ride to Mecca (Milwaukee) and pulled into a remote gas stop in Northern Ontario when 2 young guys on BMWs pulled in coming from the other direction. As we peeled off our rain gear after finally getting out from under a huge storm system that soaked us to the bone they completely ignored us and stood 8 ft away and bitched about the nice weather they had so far that morning. We attempted to engage them in the traditional "where u been, where u goin" and just received the aforementioned aloofness/disdain from them both. They left the stop before we did and we shook our heads at the fact that their day was going to get brutal due to a combination of garbage weather and over a hundred miles of road construction. A civil conversation could have led them to a different route that may have salvaged what had no doubt in my mind resulted in a terrible day.
That could be me at anytime, have never talked with any bmw rider yet while stopped. Had a couple of them pull up beside me at Saskatchewan river crossing last summer, they would not talk to us. Hell, those kind never talked or waved when I had my road star! Wing riders about the same! Don't know what the deal is?

Old 03-06-2016, 10:33 AM
robertwy
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

What difference does it make? I think I'm the guy I was during the last twenty years or so. During that time I've owned a:
  1. '98 Dyna Wide Glide
  2. '99 Road King Classic
  3. '06 Honda ST1300
  4. '09 Honda Goldwing
  5. and presently a '12 Ultra Limited

That's a different variety of bikes, but I've always been the same person. They're all motorcycles and fun to ride.

Old 03-06-2016, 10:55 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,991 Likes on 1,693 Posts

Just did a 400 mile round trip this weekend to take an ARC. Great way to jumpstart the new season!

Saw lots of bikes, some across the median on the freeway. Most waved. I waved back. When I waved first most waved back. I'm sure some waved but at that moment I didn't see them so I didn't wave back. They may have thought: "douchebag Harley rider".

Three milliseconds later I was thinking about something else.

It's all good.

Last edited by IdahoHacker; 03-06-2016 at 10:57 AM.
Old 03-06-2016, 12:33 PM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 603 Likes on 352 Posts

i don't wave at anybody. if at a stop, you strike up a conversation i'll talk to you but it probably won't last long.

Old 03-06-2016, 01:37 PM
SWMB
Road Warrior
Received 778 Likes on 501 Posts

I'll wave , talk , or ride with any type of rider. Whether they wave, talk or ride with me is up to them. I ride a Sportster and usually find its the baggers that try and ignore me lol.

Quick Reply: "Other bike" riders