Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Colorado

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 06:53 PM
Norm07
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by giacomo56
Here you go.....we did this route....saw alot and in only 10 days....you got more time, lots more to see.....

Gia-56....Looks like I'm going to have to do this also...separate maps so my one map doesn't have every road highlighted....this is a good idea.

Last edited by Norm07; 02-22-2016 at 07:29 PM.
Old 02-22-2016, 07:21 PM
Norm07
Intermediate
Talking

Hunter.....those places you mentioned are now on my list

Grandslam...my wife will be spending a month on the back of a motorcycle....I wouldn't suggest one night in a campground....have to sleep with one eye open the rest of the trip....I will however think about it when it's guys only

Russ...this is a great list...just simplified a lot of my efforts...thanks

Now would there be a couple locations worth spending 2-4 days at. Not necessarily for the purpose of day trips but a place(s) to relax,wander around town, few restaurants, sit around the pool. We don't need to be entertained.

Thanks again for your input.

Old 02-22-2016, 09:55 PM
giacomo56
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Norm07
Hunter.....those places you mentioned are now on my list

Grandslam...my wife will be spending a month on the back of a motorcycle....I wouldn't suggest one night in a campground....have to sleep with one eye open the rest of the trip....I will however think about it when it's guys only

Russ...this is a great list...just simplified a lot of my efforts...thanks

Now would there be a couple locations worth spending 2-4 days at. Not necessarily for the purpose of day trips but a place(s) to relax,wander around town, few restaurants, sit around the pool. We don't need to be entertained.

Thanks again for your input.
2-3 day stay...yes Sedona, yes Durango, yes Vegas....yes colorado spring...make your daily trips from hotel to hotel not much longer then 250 miles gives you lots of time to stop and smell the roses....

Old 02-24-2016, 02:25 PM
bigwave916
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Just to add my $0.02. For me don't miss would be Pikes Peak, Mesa Verde, and Sedona and not necessarily in that order. We used to run up Pikes Peak on test trips with Ford in the late 80s. Went back on Harley's in the early 90s and ran up and down back when it was still a dirt road up the last half.

Old 02-24-2016, 09:34 PM
Norm07
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bigwave916
Just to add my $0.02. For me don't miss would be Pikes Peak, Mesa Verde, and Sedona and not necessarily in that order. We used to run up Pikes Peak on test trips with Ford in the late 80s. Went back on Harley's in the early 90s and ran up and down back when it was still a dirt road up the last half.
Big wave....Yes they are on my list. Would we be able to spend a day or the better part of the day at Mesa Verde? Just wondering if this place can be a stopover from one town to the next? Thanks for your input.

Old 02-24-2016, 10:36 PM
Grandslam
Road Warrior
Received 339 Likes on 210 Posts

We ate lunch one day and then back over for breakfast the next morning in Grand Lake. I don't remember the name, but it was a restaurant and bar down near the end of main street on the left on the corner.

For a change of pace, rent a jeep in Ouray and ride the trails over to Silverton and back. Beautiful and a nice change of pace.

Eat at Handlebars in Silverton.

Ride the train from Durango to Silverton. Beautiful ride. Take the bus back.

Ride the San Juan Loop up through Telluride. Cool town.

Eat at True Grit Café or Restaurant in Ridgeway.

Leadville is a cool town as well.

We had a god lunch plate at South Park Café in Alma. We commented on the lunch and the cook said he came from a long line of "Southern" cooks. I asked him where and he said Mississippi. I think he was one of the owners. The other owner was who the writers of South Park fashioned "Chef Chef" after. Except he is white. The writers are good friends of his. I don't watch the show.

Colorado is beautiful. We had a blast. I plan to go back through there this year.

We stopped at Mesa Verde, but it was late in the day and it is pretty spread out so we just did the visitors center. I sounded like it would take like 20-30 minutes just to drove from one site to another due to the reduced speed limits.

Old 02-24-2016, 10:36 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by fxdxruss

Ten days is perfect for all these routes:

1. Trail Ridge Road (stay in Grand Lake, Granby)
2. Berthoud Pass - Loveland Pass - Independance Pass (Glenwood Springs or Carbondale).
3. North Rim of the Black Canyon (a must do! - stay at Roadway Inn in Gunnison)
4. Million Dollar Highway (Ouray to Durango...or stay in Ouray that night and continue to Durango next day)
5. Silver Thread Highway (Durango - South Fork - Gunnison)
6. Gunnison east to Hwy 9 (near Royal Gorge Bridge) to High Park Road - Cripple Creek - Pikes Peak (do the Peak in morning before storms roll in-take warm clothes).

If you still have time one of my favorite day rides is Hwy 165 to Bishops Castle. The ride up Hwy 69 through Westcliffe is a sweet one. Also, a 1/2 day ride would be from Gunnison to Crested Butte (one way in and out).

Suggestions: Bring long underwear...mornings will be chilly but it'll warm up by 10am. Stop at many of the small towns along the way...they love tourists. Take lots of pictures...Georgia is a long way from here. Keep an eye out for wildlife (bear, elk, moose, deer, bighorn sheep, mountain goats, coyotes). Lots or people ride their bikes in CO each year and there are few places where you wouldn't feel safe riding.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rf4n2fyh7...7XFkH8V6Rcb5wa
FXDX....picked up on at least one of my posts about Colorado rides (glad I can contribute). I live in CO and travel its roads each summer. Its hard to pick one 'base' in this state because it really is so far between stops. I did a ride plan for a gent out of Iowa a few years back and I suggested two towns that I thought they could base out of (Gunnison and Winter Park) but I think with the time you have allowed for your trip you'd be better off spending time in different towns each night. Here's another idea - several HDF members have been getting together for rides in the SW over the past 10-11 years. At least three of these trips have been in Colorado. In 2015 we had another great ride and one of our members, Bill and Arleen Nourse laid out the route for the ride. Attached is the link to where we rode and where we stopped. You can plot out this trip on a map and decide for yourself how it would fit into your overall plans.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/south...le-2015-a.html

I'm also attaching a link to a thread I wrote about the results of the 2015 ride (we've called it Green Chili Ride since we started it because we have to have a commemorative bowl of green chili at some point along the ride). I think you'll find some info that'll help you plan this summers ride.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/south...de-report.html

Best of luck on your trip...and wave when you go by!!

Old 02-25-2016, 06:54 PM
Norm07
Intermediate

Whiskers....thanks for all this info, all great stuff

So again to everyone here that contributed, a big thanks...

Now I am taking all your info, and and I am going to put it into a half ***ed itinerary staring in Estes Park and work our way south from there having an "A" list of things to see and rides to do then a " B" list for time permitting. I'm using Garmin Base Camp but will also do a written itinerary. When I'm done I will post it to see what you guys think, as well it would be another resource others could use.

And for those of you who live in this area (after checking out some of the pictures of these places) how the h**l do you decide on what way to go.....just some spectacular scenery...just can't wait.

Old 02-25-2016, 07:19 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,750 Likes on 3,110 Posts

For more "motorcycling" roads, check out MadMaps.

Lastly, be sure you're fit to ride in 110F heat. Not kidding here.

Old 02-26-2016, 06:14 AM
djohn
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

The wife and I road this area in 2012 and the most memorable stop on our adventure was Taos Pueblo in NM. If you have time, don't miss this. Take the tour and pay the 5 bucks for the privilege of taking pictures.

Definitely take the tour...very enlightening.

Quick Reply: Colorado